Notices
ECU Flash

Car really leans out around 2000-3000rpm

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so after checking continuity to the pins and chasing our tails for a while, it dawned on my that after my tuner had sent it a fully working tune from a 1g eclipse running an evo ecu like me with FIC injectors to test on my car just for the sake of testing that it may just be that he had turned off the IAT in there.

i swapped back to my last revision of my tune and that took care of that. but im back to a similar issue of leaning out again. very similar symptoms of leaning out at free rev around 4k rpm. and even while driving it hiccups and sputters.

going inspect my spark plugs and change coils to see if that helps
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:05 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
so there are 2 ways the IAT can be implemented in SD, one way is to wire it into the fuel temp sensor and the other is to use the IAT input in the maf harness. It could be that your tuners rom is pointing to the wrong memory address for the way your sensor is actually wired. I don't know how you are wired though so i can't really comment on how your settings should be.

On a different note, free rev is kinda meh for any kind of meaningful logging. If you can take some logs while driving, trying to hit various different load cells around the RPM's you are having issues and posting them that would be very helpful in trying to help you diagnose the problem. Also im sure your ecu has been reset a whole bunch but if you could capture your LTFT Low and mid that would also be pretty informative.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:15 AM

mine is wired through the maf harness, im guessing the tune he sent to me to test for the sake of checking things was done with an IAT wired through the fuel temp sensor.

tonight im gonna tackle my ignition system and see what i come up with
Old Aug 16, 2016, 05:31 AM

my final conclusion is that i may have a wiring issue,

i swapped another set of Toyota denso coils and it didnt make a difference. i changed back to stock coils and the car great. so now i needed to extend the passenger side coil wire to reach the coil properly.

after extending it and taping the wire back together, started the car and it did the same thing. undid the tape and started it and started wiggling wires around to see if i can cause it to do what it did before and nothing happened. taped the harness again and tested it and she ran fine.

tested my COP harness for continuity on all pins and they are all fine. so im convinced that my ignition harness has a problem somewhere and i need to pull it all out and remove the tape and inspect it.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 06:28 AM

I know with some coils you need to actually go inside the boot with some needle nose pliers and extend/stretch the little metal spring so it makes better contact with the spark plugs. If you search for the DIY Cop thread it talks about that with pictures.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I know with some coils you need to actually go inside the boot with some needle nose pliers and extend/stretch the little metal spring so it makes better contact with the spark plugs. If you search for the DIY Cop thread it talks about that with pictures.
That's interesting cuz i have been running these coils since last summer with zero problems and we got to around 315whp and then discovered the main bearings couldnt handle the abuse so i decided to tear down and rebuild the bottom end. so i guess it is possible that the springs are just a tad short

but i am still convinced that i have an issue somewhere else especially since after it ran fine and we extended the wire, the problem returned briefly and then it went away
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:29 AM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Parts can go bad at any time, so don't overlook any because they worked fine, before.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
Parts can go bad at any time, so don't overlook any because they worked fine, before.

agreed but you missed the part where i mentioned that i swapped in a working set of denso coils and it didnt make a difference, which means my current denso coils arent bad.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by spdracr83
That's interesting cuz i have been running these coils since last summer with zero problems and we got to around 315whp and then discovered the main bearings couldnt handle the abuse so i decided to tear down and rebuild the bottom end. so i guess it is possible that the springs are just a tad short

but i am still convinced that i have an issue somewhere else especially since after it ran fine and we extended the wire, the problem returned briefly and then it went away
what do your fuel trims look like? The behavior your describing sounds a lot like what happens when the car starts doing wacky things with the fuel trims.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:09 PM

what do your fuel trims look like? The behavior your describing sounds a lot like what happens when the car starts doing wacky things with the fuel trims.

why do you keep asking about my fuel trims and my logs and my tune ?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:12 PM

because you haven't provided them yet? If you aren't capable of providing them then thats one thing, but if your just not posting them because your lazy then i don't see a point in trying to help anymore.

Edit: Yah actually im checking out. Good luck, I hope you figure it out and get her fixed (no sarcasm). The world needs more evo's on the road.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Aug 16, 2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: tapping out
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:36 PM

because you haven't provided them yet? If you aren't capable of providing them then thats one thing, but if your just not posting them because your lazy then i don't see a point in trying to help anymore.

Edit: Yah actually im checking out. Good luck, I hope you figure it out and get her fixed (no sarcasm). The world needs more evo's on the road.
this is not an evo, but take care.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by Migsubishi
It's not a tuning issue, I have the same type of problem, car ran great and just started breaking up and sputtering. Now it idles fine but when you try to drive it around 2-3,000 rpm the a/f gauge goes lean and it misfires like the plugs are fowled, sounds like a subi.

Did compression test, changed the plugs three times, new pump, changed cam position sensor.

Next will be fuel pressure regulator, crank sensor, fic 2150's, omni 4 bar, then the ecu. I'm determined to figure this out!

What I think is happening is for some reason the engine is running super rich, so rich that raw fuel is going past my wideband making it read lean due to not being able to get a reading off liquid. I can smell it and at the rate my gas gauge is dropping from trouble shooting, that's gotta be it.

Let ya know what I find...

My car used to do that exact same thing, until I went to a tuner that was able to figure it out. He didn't even have to tune around it. His base map had the car running perfectly, albeit a touch lean, in open loop. 2 revisions later and it was running perfect in closed loop.

its good that you fixed your cop harness, whats strange though is a miss fire will usually cause a rich condition because of unburnt fuel entering into the exhaust. That P0113 code is not good though, looks like your MAF could be acting up which would make alot of sense in the context of your problems.

Edit, Sorry your on speed density, what kind of IAT are you seeing in your log?

A misfire (that's bad enough) will show lean. O2 sensors read oxygen content in the exhaust gases, so if their is no burn, all the oxygen is still there, so it reads lean. Combustion consumes the oxygen, lowering the oxygen content of the exhaust.

Originally Posted by spdracr83
this is not an evo, but take care.
Then GTFO. If we can't see logs to see what the car is doing, we're missing half the information. Everyone is pointing at the tune because there are A LOT of tuners that don't have a true handle on how to tune the speed density trickery in the Tephra Evo ROM's. Some tuners flat out refuse to tune SD on the stock ECU because they don't want to learn it. It's not true speed density, so you have to learn your way around the quirks to make the trickery work properly.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
My car used to do that exact same thing, until I went to a tuner that was able to figure it out. He didn't even have to tune around it. His base map had the car running perfectly, albeit a touch lean, in open loop. 2 revisions later and it was running perfect in closed loop.

A misfire (that's bad enough) will show lean. O2 sensors read oxygen content in the exhaust gases, so if their is no burn, all the oxygen is still there, so it reads lean. Combustion consumes the oxygen, lowering the oxygen content of the exhaust.

Then GTFO. If we can't see logs to see what the car is doing, we're missing half the information. Everyone is pointing at the tune because there are A LOT of tuners that don't have a true handle on how to tune the speed density trickery in the Tephra Evo ROM's. Some tuners flat out refuse to tune SD on the stock ECU because they don't want to learn it. It's not true speed density, so you have to learn your way around the quirks to make the trickery work properly.

yeah if you are talking about backyard tuners that claim to be knowledgeable about tuning cars. i already stated who my tuner is and i dont need to provide anything else regarding my tune. if u dont think that my tuner is legit and that im full of **** then feel free to stop commenting just like the other guy did.

feel free to google Mtuned or search here for Mtuned or look up his name on google and check out his work, Michael Adkins is his name.

I'm done here.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 01:20 PM
kaj

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Like I said.....

Quick Reply: Car really leans out around 2000-3000rpm