Notices
ECU Flash

ECU Tables & Addresses

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2022 | 03:15 PM

ECU Tables & Addresses

New here this would be my first post. Not a complete noob, work on cars and trucks for a living but am having trouble with making the addresses for my tables on ROM match my definition file. I understand that there is a 4 character hex address for the data for each scaling in the rom, but how do I find the address that the scaling is in my XML (I presume that's what is causing them to be greyed out) any help would be appreciated thank you. Setup is oz rally 2002, 1.3u cable, tephra mod XML evo7base
Old Oct 29, 2022 | 01:30 AM
EvoM Guru

In ECUFlash, select File > Options > Prefix able Names and check the box:

The following users liked this post:
Tinerfe30 (Nov 1, 2022)
Old Oct 31, 2022 | 07:17 PM

Dude thank you. I spent a whole trying to figure that **** out lol. Come to find out I somehow had an old version of ECU flash somehow and it didn't have that button in the settings. I have one more question if you don't mind? The rom I have has very limited tables. I inderstand that you can manipulate whatever data or mod you want into the rom thru the XML or load whatever you want long as the flash method and ROM size matches but that changes the addresses of the tables even with the same offset. How does one go about finding the addresses then? When I load the tephra roms I only see half of the tables or so and other half is random data from another table I'm guessing. But I know it's real close or I wouldn't see anything at all right?
Old Nov 3, 2022 | 12:19 AM
EvoM Guru

@BlackOZ_24 Did you turn on "developer mode" in ECUFlash? (File > Options > Metadata > User Level). This allows you to see all the tables in your XML definition, even if they don't exist or have not been defined in the ROM.

You can find the tables by disassembling the ROM, i.e. using software (e.g. IDA Pro 6.1) to read the ROM binary and turn it in to an assembly code text file. Next you can run something like Acamus' idc script to identify all the tables and flag them in the assembly code file. Then you have to reverse engineer exactly what each table does by seeing where and how it is used in the assembly program. Finally you will need to define scalings for each table/variable and then build an XML file to enable you to read/change them in ECUFlash. All this takes 1000's of hours and most people don't have the time or energy to do it.

Another (easier) way is to research if anyone has created an XML file for your Ralliart ROM, and if they are willing to give or sell it to you. You will need to look for the ROM ID to identify exactly which Ralliart ROM you have. You can find the ID in ECUFlash under ROM info.

Then search all posts on this site for a file called <YourROMID>.xml and/or start a new post to ask the community to help with a title of "Looking for Ralliart 2002 <YourROMID>.xml"

Good luck!

Last edited by CDrinkH2O; Nov 3, 2022 at 12:40 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2022 | 08:09 PM

Dude thank you. You have been ALOT of help and I appreciate the info. I have all winter to find around with it and build the lancer so I'm gonna look into that. Plus Im always on my computer anyways lol. I actually stumbled upon a rom and definition that works with my ECU no changing needed. It was a Evo ROM, to get the car to run after I flashed it I just changed the mad size and the injector scaling in the rom, obviously there is more to change for everything to work as if stock but I have all the tables you need to make a good tune and addressed correctly. It seems to me that they only make so many bios if you will fit the ECU'S so finding the one that is coded right for your ECU and everything will fall into place. I think I've flashed every single SHO72 ROM I could find so far and that ROM def file combo is the only one that truly worked right (90550001 ROM & def + evo7base with scalings and tables but no addresses and XML with include evo7base under rom id) I'll be in touch for sure this stuff really interests me and I could learn alot from you dude already have thanks again for your help. I also have a 97 Montero that I want to play around with it you know anything about those?
The following users liked this post:
CDrinkH2O (Nov 5, 2022)
Old Nov 5, 2022 | 08:12 PM

Does the ECU part number have anything to do with the roms it can read? Every ECU can't be that different if the case number is the same right?
Old Nov 5, 2022 | 10:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BlackOZ_24
I also have a 97 Montero that I want to play around with it you know anything about those?
Glad it made sense. Sorry - I know nothing about Monteros!

Last edited by CDrinkH2O; Nov 5, 2022 at 10:58 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2022 | 10:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Does the ECU part number have anything to do with the roms it can read? Every ECU can't be that different if the case number is the same right?
The ECU Part/Case number is specific to the market (e.g.USDM, EDM, JDM, TDM, etc), model year, ECU processor hardware (SH7052 or SH7055), and ROM ID revision.

If you want to learn how to tune, Merlins ECUFlash Tuning Guide is a good place to start reading.
Old Nov 13, 2022 | 05:47 AM

😎

Ok dually noted. Sooo ive discovered that the rom id number is directly related to a actual size of the file correct? They all have the same offset but I noticed that in tiny hexer you have the ability to change file size in editor options. And changing the size gets everything really damn close to being the same hex numbers thru and thru buttt because it's a different number to load with the other rom the data is ultimately in a different spot which means all the tables are off if even only by a few spots 😑 What I'm struggling with now is that the only rom and XML I have that truly works is very limited on tables. Doesn't even have some of the stock tables that should be there like ignition retarding. Also for example stationary rev limit doesn't work correctly although it's there and accessible. That I honestly believe is because it's missing another factor or something there is nothing about a safety switch and I have a manual... Less it uses speed sensor in tranny or wheel speed sensor but that doesn't work for me because I don't have abs. I do know that it is the right ROM for sure, with identical settings on other roms the car doesn't behave the same (idle problems, blah blah) and yes I've done stepper tables, temp comp, maf stuff, etc etc. It's just not right idk how to explain. Cold starts suck or the wideband jumps around, just weird stuff. How can 'swap" all the awesome stuff from one ROM to mine. Without having to literally type each address in key by key? There has to be a easier way than that right? If you have any info on that part dude I'm all ears... and ill.check out those programs you told me about. oh and Ive read most of that guide. It's a very, very, good read. Helped me get setup very quickly. Ive done some tuning in the past but it's been years since now. I've already made leaps and bounds in performance so far on my little scooter. If I had to guess an extra 20-30 hp for sure. Lowered my injector scale so the duty went up, no lean cuisine in the top end for this guy. Leaned out the stock map I'm general QUITE a bit. Dialed in the enrichment, and dropped the spark timing (a **** ton btw) in the stock map. Then copied the lo map to the high map for fuel and spark so it's not changing and what not. I couldn't be believe how advanced the spark was on the base map No wonder this thing is gutless from the factory.. now I can break the tires off in first at a roll. don't even have to pop the clutch lol. And my gas mileage has substantially gotten better under power. Sped around all day and maybe went through a 1/4 tank maybe just maybe 3/8. My stock map was lingering at 12ish the whole power band and was a slug. Now enrich drops from 15ish to about 12.5-13ish, adds a good shot of momentum and slowly lingers up as redline comes and she actually holds you in the seat a bit. I already know I'm gonna have traction problems hahahah gonna get a nice big sway bar for the rear next I'm thinking. To much sag back there, it's killing the torque that I barely have lol
Old Nov 13, 2022 | 06:00 AM

Btw

My oz is completely stock except for weapon r intake, kamikaze headers and tein lowering springs. I deleted evap and egr prior to getting the ECU all setup then disabled them in periphs. And a year ago my cat took a poop and clogged my exhaust up completely so I put a straight pipe where that used to be. And that's it. I did also put barium plugs and ngk wires in it too, I found them online for a super good price so I had too lol. I relocated my battery to the trunk and I had a. Epiphany. Where the pwr steering pump is mounted makes a perfect spot to put a little pro charger with a small little pulley straight to the intercooler and come out the other side where the battery used to be and straight into the intake. It would be stupid simple you could set it up In like 3-4 hrs easily if you had all the parts and stuff. 6-8 lbs would be a very noticable difference
Old Nov 13, 2022 | 08:11 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Originally Posted by CDrinkH2O
The ECU Part/Case number is specific to the market (e.g.USDM, EDM, JDM, TDM, etc), model year, ECU processor hardware (SH7052 or SH7055), and ROM ID revision.

If you want to learn how to tune, Merlins ECUFlash Tuning Guide is a good place to start reading.
If you contact the guy that wrote this guide, he can make you a fully defined XML for your ROM for a very reasonable price. Way better than anything you can find for free online.
Old Nov 13, 2022 | 08:34 AM

Realllllyyy 🤔 I might just do that. What's his going rate?
Old Nov 13, 2022 | 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

@BlackOZ_24 There is a better way.......swap in an Evo 8 ECU so you can use all the awesome Evo 8 Tephra V7 ROMs and their XML definitions. It's all documented here
Old Nov 13, 2022 | 09:47 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Realllllyyy 🤔 I might just do that. What's his going rate?
It's been a few years, and I don't know if he would want that info being made public. I will say I would have paid 10x more and still felt like I got every pennies worth and then some. Like even if you did swap to an evo 8 rom, you would still want to buy his XML over the publicly available stuff.

Originally Posted by CDrinkH2O
@BlackOZ_24 There is a better way.......swap in an Evo 8 ECU so you can use all the awesome Evo 8 Tephra V7 ROMs and their XML definitions. It's all documented here
You could just flash the Evo rom onto the lancer ECU and it would be even less work to get it going. Long story short I bought a Lancer ECU, flashed it with an Evo rom, installed it in my evo, and got it to work.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Nov 13, 2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2022 | 10:09 AM

Yep

True story I'm running 90550001 ROM on my lancer right now. Which is also compatible with the v7 tephra mod on evoscan site. Thinking about getting it today it's only $40 and I'm curious as to what is all in there. Ive actually come across every tephra ROM except that one 😑 haha but I don't mind paying for something else that someone put their time and hard work into. I do know this SH0755 is 512k because of auto trans. Sh0752 is manual and 256k besides that and the plugs there is no difference far as firmware and stuff. Also there is a junkyard where I live with a cpl lancers I'm goin ECU huntin woooo! Sell em to ya cheap boys hahah side note does the rom come with a def? I imagine it does

Quick Reply: ECU Tables & Addresses