Notices
ECU Flash

TPS adjustments or tables?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009 | 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

TPS adjustments or tables?

Continued from How To ECU based direct boost control, where I was going OT.
Are there tables or scalings or adjustments that could be off in the ECU to manage the TPS signal?

My logs only show values from 14 to 100 for TPS, and my boost seems to be coming in early regularly according to the TPS values.

I have been reading about the RPM rising issues, which I have, and I also have a sensation of driving a throttle light switch in low speed stop and go traffic. It seems as if the first 20% or so of throttle gradation just don't exist.

Is this something the gurus address in ECUFlash, a mechanical failure of the TPS sensor?Or even an mechanical adjustment of the sensor or throttle cable.

i seem to find lots of posts about the behavior, but no conclusive solutions.

M
Old Jun 3, 2009 | 09:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

It is not really uncommon for a TPS to read higher than 0 at 0% TP. Most of the cars read ~13% at rest, but I'm not sure if this is a reporting difference or a physical adjustment difference. Either way, it shouldn't really be a big deal. The car knows that you are idling, and I believe it knows that you are at "minimum TPS" so it should not make much of a difference. You are welcome to try to adjust your TPS, but I wouldn't recommend it... they are set pretty carefully from the factory and throwing it off could throw off quite a few things.

Older DSM/Mitsu cars had an actual wire that was grounded when the throttle plate was at rest, but around the time of the 2g DSM the car started simulating this, "knowing" where idle was at the TPS.

I think you are probably searching for ghosts with this one.
Old Jun 3, 2009 | 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

I see 14% @ idle. Like I said in the other thread, I think some1 posted up a definition for 0% TPS @ idle. I'll look for it...

^what fosty said. Just do a pull from 2000 wait till you hear the voice command, and then mash the gas, so you can get a better idea of when, exactly, you go 100% TPS. And go from there...
Old Jun 3, 2009 | 01:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

you can also just log with the car "on" but not running to see what values you get at different throttle positions.
Old Jun 3, 2009 | 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yup, tried that, and I get 14-100, and a seemingly decent spread of data. It just definitely feels like the first part of parkinglot type accel and decel is a light switch kind of thing, but I also know I can impact that with MIVEC settings significantly, and Timing advance settings.

I think its probably best to leave it for now. I know that I manually adjusted the cable when I first purchased the car, because of the driving characteristics I was describing. I am not sure if adjusting the cable could through the TPS out of whack. I see an odd opening at the top of the throttle body that I guess could be an adjustment for the TPS sensor, but its probably best left alone until the OverBoost is conquered.

I have found in my reading of posts about the TPS and the over revving between shifts lots of dialog about the WGA and WGS. I did replace my BCS with a 3 port, and now I am considering reverting to the stock unit to see how that impacts my overboost logs. I guess the theory is if there is a leak there at higher boost the BCS isn't getting the appropriate pressure. In my attempt to reconnect the stock 2 port I realized I don't know how it goes back on (hose wise), nor I can't remember if anything in the ECU needs to be adjusted. I am realizing I don't REALLY understand how those few air hoses and solenoids work as a system. I will have to go off on that tangent for a bit to eliminate that as the cause for my overboosting.

M