Notices

Failed inspection. Ramstien area..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed inspection. Ramstien area..

Well wen't to get the car inspected and got a couple of dings. Now I just have to figure out where to get some exhaust work done at.

The big thing they got me on was the external wastegate. I was hoping they would miss it but they caught it after there walk through from under the car. The problem now is to find someone to fab up something to recirculate the exhaust fromm the wastegate back to the exhaust.

I can order the flanges and even some mandrel bent pipeing.

Does anybody know of a place to get this done? Or if there is anything else I can do? The inspection was done at Kaupon.

I'm in the Ramstien area.

Edit: BTW I'm new and just PCS'd to the area.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 09:01 AM
ba5

goto ramstein, its all soldiers, they wont even look twice at it, if you have to go to kapaun go when its a german holiday...
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:15 AM

Can I go to Ramstein for the reinspection or do I have to go back to Kapaun?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can go to ramstein. my buddy had an oil leak, kapaun failed him. the leak was at the gasket to the filter, I fixed it. kapaun failed him again because it wasn't clean enough. wiped it off, went to ramstein the same day.... pass. after you pass, you got to go to kapaun to get your plates.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 06:01 AM

Went to the Ramstein inspection station and they are closed until April!! The Annex is also closed for renovations.

I really have to find a shop now. Unless I take my chances with Baumholder. I wonder if they will accept a block plate?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

The Old guy at baumholder is real ****.. I wouldn't go there.. I always have to place the stock exhaust onto the car if i want to pass..

Which BTW.. does anyone have one around just laying around that I can borrow this summer when i get back.. my reg. exp. in April.. so I will need that stck exhaust..
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 95nracer
Went to the Ramstein inspection station and they are closed until April!! The Annex is also closed for renovations.

I really have to find a shop now. Unless I take my chances with Baumholder. I wonder if they will accept a block plate?
Like we talked about, check the reg and I am sure it states something that it can't vent to atmosphere. If it's flanged off with bolts then you meet that standard. Good luck!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

I got a crazy Rx-7 type question..... Who invited you here?

....not that there is something wrong with that, just wondering.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regs I dug up incase anyone cares to read them.

C-16. EXHAUST SYSTEM

a. The exhaust system must be secured tightly and free of leaks. Tailpipes must extend behind the rear wheels or beyond the side edge or rear of the vehicle body unless prevented by the manufacturer’s specifications.

b. A POV may be rejected if it emits excessive blue or black smoke.

c. All parts of the exhaust line must be strong enough to resist normal hand pressure applied by the inspector. All repairs to exhaust systems must be made by welding or component replacement. Repairs using muffler or exhaust tape or chemical weld compounds (for example, liquid metal) are meant as temporary repairs and will not be accepted. Securing attachments must be present, tight, and similar to original manufacturer parts.

C-23. MUFFLERS AND EXHAUSTS SYSTEMS
Mufflers and exhaust systems not manufacturer- or factory-installed on vehicles or motorbikes that are suspected of exceeding the noise level of 90 decibels must be checked by the inspector using a handheld decibel-meter tester. If the vehicle is found to exceed the noise level in the links in subparagraph a (motor vehicles) or b (motor bikes) below, it will be rejected.

a. Motor vehicle: http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29...gs/r051r1e.pdf.

b. Motor bikes: http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs41-60.html.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

glad i found this thread. i just found out i am going over there and need to make sure the car is good to go.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Farred
glad i found this thread. i just found out i am going over there and need to make sure the car is good to go.
you drive an X, unless you're running catless or some other loud exhaust i really don't see you having any problem
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OldschoolEVO
you drive an X, unless you're running catless or some other loud exhaust i really don't see you having any problem
I don't think cats matter - I and a few others have passed without them. Decibal level and now ride height matters, along with no tint on front door windows.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mump
I don't think cats matter - I and a few others have passed without them. Decibal level and now ride height matters, along with no tint on front door windows.
im running a test pipe. i was looking at the resonated test pipe or the high flow cat if necessary. i am getting the ams dual which is nice because i will be able to route all the exhaust thru the muffler when inspection time come and then can open it up when i leave. lol. ride height? i have 13% tint all around. i can take the front off if need be. what the rules on the back?

thanks for your help btw.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

the back can be as dark as you want.. but absolutely no tint on the fornt unless its manufactured tint within the glass.. and catless means nothing for US folks.. just make sure you are at or under the 90db limit at about 3500-3800rpm... just left stuttgart about 6 months ago and know the pain.. I have a buschur 3" tbe and never passed due to noise.. I would just swap to my stock catback for inspections... good luck
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoLutionized8
the back can be as dark as you want.. but absolutely no tint on the fornt unless its manufactured tint within the glass.. and catless means nothing for US folks.. just make sure you are at or under the 90db limit at about 3500-3800rpm... just left stuttgart about 6 months ago and know the pain.. I have a buschur 3" tbe and never passed due to noise.. I would just swap to my stock catback for inspections... good luck
90 dbs is kinda quite right? the cops never hassled you with the buschur exhaust?

Quick Reply: Failed inspection. Ramstien area..