Notices

Tuner GP and Drift Challenge

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2002, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tuner GP and Drift Challenge

Yesterday it was again time to go up the famous Hockenheimring again. What was the reason? The Tuner GP and Drift Challenge organized by Sport Auto.

Already on the way up there on the German autobahn I had some nice encounters. In the beginning the roads were clear so getting several times to the rev. limiter in 5. was an easy task. Suddenly a 993 Biturbo came from behind. When he was held up by other cars I drove about 50metres behind him at 180km/h he then flored it and amazingly I only lost about 20metres till I reached the rev. limit again in 5. then he could finally pull away. Bet he was pissed off big time About 10 minutes later a Sportec Audi RS 4 (450hp, 297km/h top speed) was sticking on my bumper so I decided to go for it again. This time I lost out, going around 250km/h through a corner he was still very close behind me and then overtook with ease. Boy this thing really shifted Anyway on the way up I met FXevotion in his black EVO as planned and we drove in convoy the rest of the way.
Finally there we met some friends of FX, Joerg even competing in the Tuner GP with his modified Audi S3 (and becoming 3. in his class, congratulations) Shortly after arriving the limo class got out on track. DigitPower provided a modified VII with Pierre Kaffer behind the wheel (Former German F3 driver, now Porsche Carrera Cup driver, just won the first race of the campaign) which trounced the opposition including STI and Monster RS 4s with more than 500hp. So again power is nothing without control.
After the limos the fun cars went out, including a Donckervort with more than 240hp driven by the complete nutter Wolfgang Kaufmann (last year's winner of the price for the most successfull Porsche driver worldwide, lap record holder on the Ring with 7.32min, datarecording proved 274 km/h with all four wheels off the ground! at the Schwedenkreuz, gulp). He drove the nuts off the thing overtaking others inside-outside in corners and under braking/accelerating, just made.
Then the big showdown was on, the GT class with Kaufmann in the Gemballa GTR600 (the Ring record car) and Roland Asch (very popular German touring car ace) in the Techart Porsche Biturbo. It now was a question of honor! Boy, was it close, only about 2/10 of a second divided the two, with Kaufmann having the upper hand. It was interesting to see the different driving styles, Kaufmann very wild with drifting his monster around some bends and even shifting during drifting whereas Asch was very smooth. Biggest letdown was a modified F360, in the end with slower lap times than the EVO VII (GTR 600 around 1.09mins, Donky 1.10 mins, EVO VII 1.14mins).
It wasn't over yet. Now the Drift Challenge started. What is it all about? Going through the Sachs corner as sideways as possible. Sounds easy but isn't! First out was Markus Oestreich (Oese) with a Mercedes racing truck, featering 1500hp, 5000NM at 4.5bar boost This thing accelerates faster from 60-160km/h than a 600hp Porker. Unfortunately a technical problem hindered Oese to show some real powerdrifts. But there was some more to come. Loads of Beemer M5 driven by profs showed nice drifts, also the new Jaguar S Type R with André Lotterer (F1 Jaguar test driver) destroyed his rear tyres with ease. In the end the 3 times German Rally Champion Mathias Kahle showed everyone what drifting actually means. Already sideways on turn in, then through the whole corner and on even on the straights, waving with one hand out of the window! Awesome especially considering he drove a Techart 600hp Biturbo with monster grip.
What can I say. It was huge fun, meeting good blokes like FX and Joerg, watching great machinery and great drivers doing their art of handling powerful cars. Once again the EVO didn't dissapoint and the Porkers dominating the track in the end.

Cheers

Mike
Old May 18, 2002, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Hi Claudius

you're absolutely right, it was very tempting to go out on track with my own car though would have looked like a whimp compared with the profs and never driven on this track before.

Maybe I can find out what turbo they use as here were I live Larag prepared the works Mercedes trucks and now the MAN for the European Championships. It will be probably as big as a laundry machine

Cheers

Mike
Old May 18, 2002, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Did you take any pics or made any vids of the event??
Old May 18, 2002, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

MAN, YOU CANNOT BELIEVE HOW PISSED OFF I AM!!! I seriouslz had already planned to go there, but FORGOT! I was rudely reminded as I took my Sport Auto out of the post yesterday with a big line on the front page about the GP, I looked: 18 th...... ****!!!! It's already finished..... DAMN!!! I'll blame it on Mike, cause he didn't remind me....
Old May 18, 2002, 09:22 PM

Yess Mike,
it was a nice event...

how the hell could you remember all the lap-times, where did you hide your note-block or is this just a swiss banker habbit

When I left I met an other silver Evo6 from CH. He was together with a silver STI...there were really a few around

Pictures will be posted soon.

The one with his GR.N Evo drove it home to Str...no truck needed. The sound was nice.

Hope to see you for some other meets as we live so close

FX
Old May 18, 2002, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

FX

I just told my grandma that I'll be more often at her place to meet my new mates from Reutlingen/Tübingen. My dad is also keen to come with me to join you to drive some laps on the Hockenheim circuit! My old nutter took his old 635 out yesterday to drift around. The tyres are now so old it needs about 100 metres to regain traction! Would be very well suited to compete in the Drift Challenge next year !

Regarding the lap times. It's probably because I have to deal with figures all day long.

Michael

I was close to calling you if you come Should have then. Sorry for that

Keen to see the pics FX took. He also got my on video an the German Autobahn, overtaking each other

Cheers

Mike
Old May 18, 2002, 10:45 PM

Attached Thumbnails Tuner GP and Drift Challenge-vvv.jpg  
Old May 18, 2002, 10:57 PM

Mike gave me a short sound-check...
Attached Thumbnails Tuner GP and Drift Challenge-sm.bmp  
Old May 18, 2002, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Felix

can't hear anything What do I have to do to listen to it?

Cheers

Mike
Old May 18, 2002, 11:07 PM

Mike, ´
just wanted to post the pic when you drove by on the fast-line.
But now it is a download...how come?
Old May 19, 2002, 12:20 AM
Evolving Member

Felix

try it again! Next time I record yours when we blast around the Hohenzollern

See ya

Mike
Old May 19, 2002, 03:31 AM

the moded E7 that was leaving all behind...
Attached Thumbnails Tuner GP and Drift Challenge-e7.bmp  
Old May 19, 2002, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

FXevotion, looks like your attachment is a bitmap. It needs to be a .jpg in order to show.

Scoobymike, thanks for taking the time to share all that info with us.
Old May 19, 2002, 06:05 PM

evo_dan, you are right...thanks!

Here some more pics (.jpg!!!!!) taken out of my handy-cam.
Attached Thumbnails Tuner GP and Drift Challenge-gemballafire.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tuner GP and Drift Challenge