Notices

moving to england

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2004, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moving to england

hey im moving from the states over to england and i was wondering what all ill need to do to make my evo leagal over there, or if i even need to change anything at all.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 05:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you Military?
Old Jun 22, 2004, 06:09 PM

yeah...why is there a difference on what i need to do if i am or something.....
Old Jun 22, 2004, 06:16 PM

Dude sell yours here and get one over there. Something like the FQ-330. ACD/Super AYC... Oh that would be cool..
Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

In UK the cars are RHD, slight issue there with your US car. Also they may have import regulations to be sorted out, but as fas as i know they aren't too bad.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you going to lakenheath or mildenhall or another base? your TMO office should have info on what you'll need to do once you get there. he RHD/ LHD drive thing is no big deal just takes time to get acustom to it. I know that you'll have to get an inspection (MOT), road tax, car tags, and some other stuff. i just returned from over there last july, PM me back and i can give you more info from the lakenheath/mildenhall area.

Gary
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:40 PM

Hello

not sure of the details, obvioulsy your car will be left hand drive etc , my honest advice would be sell up in usa and buy a new one here loads less hassle, the evo'7 onwards isnt very popular here so you will get one cheap,.

Most popular evo's here are the V, VI and Tme
Old Oct 5, 2006, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustan78
hey im moving from the states over to england and i was wondering what all ill need to do to make my evo leagal over there, or if i even need to change anything at all.
Mainly you will need the rear fog light on the bumper and minor modification to the lighint. Also you would have to go through the british MOT and ultimately you have to have a car tag(equivalent to the registartion) which cost around 200 british pounds depending on the vehicle.

The good news is that you are automatically covered as far is liability in the UK. The MOT(technical inspection) is due annually.

If you are in the USAF and with orders to Lakenheath or Mindelhal RAF then your port of entry is Brandon village (3 miles from RAF Lakenheath)

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 5, 2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

you are a bunch of retards! sorry but its true! Im military in europe too and no you do not have to change a thing on your evo! NOT ONE THING! Sorry guys for calling you all retards but please dont give advice that you dont know about! and dont try to get an evo over here cause you CAN NOT bring it back! Ive been trying to bring an evo1 back for some time now! Military follow a diffrent reg the the british have to so you wont pay mot and all that stuff. Please trust me Ive live overseas for more than half my life with the military and noe the better part of a decade on my own in the army. If you need any other advise about comming to europe please im me or email me i will help in any way
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im from England, born and raised there.

British MOT's (safety/ emmissions etc inspections) are one of the strictest in the world. You will most likely have to change a couple of things.
Left hand drive wont matter, i know lots of people who have imported cars from germany to drive there, its not a problem. Just make sure your car is in full working order, and the rest you will have to see when you get there.
I wouldn't think you will have any major issues though
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

OK LISTEN AND LISTEN GOOD! He is us military and it fals under useur law which is united stated euroep agreement! He doesnt have to change a damn thing to conform to the UK suck as i didnt have to conform to Germany which also have a MOT but its called TUV and its even more strict than the UK. PLEASE IF YOUR NOT US MILITARY DONT POST INFO CAUSE YOUR WRONG! AND YOUR MISS LEADING THIS SOLDIER! With that being said Dustan78 please IM me and i will set you strait since im also military and have brought a few cars over to europe. And for all you people that are going to say "but your in germany and its diffrent!" Guess what i had to clear coustoms in england! wow maybe i know what im talking about! you all assume you know what has to be done but you know what? Assumtion is the mother of all F**K UPS! and you assume too much!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WongFu
you are a bunch of retards! sorry but its true! Im military in europe too and no you do not have to change a thing on your evo! NOT ONE THING! Sorry guys for calling you all retards but please dont give advice that you dont know about! and dont try to get an evo over here cause you CAN NOT bring it back! Ive been trying to bring an evo1 back for some time now! Military follow a diffrent reg the the british have to so you wont pay mot and all that stuff. Please trust me Ive live overseas for more than half my life with the military and noe the better part of a decade on my own in the army. If you need any other advise about comming to europe please im me or email me i will help in any way
First of all you are the retard.

2) Not only I live in Europe for 25 years but also spend 3 years in the military (RAF Lakenheath in the UK) there and shipped a car there and shipped two vehicles from the UK to the USA. specifically in the UK where the guy is refering his topic.
3) The military don't pay you for the MOT, that comes out of your pocket
4) Yes, the car need minor modifications such us the rear mandatory rear fog light and front plates, dot tires and more.

Carlos
Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WongFu
OK LISTEN AND LISTEN GOOD! He is us military and it fals under useur law which is united stated euroep agreement! He doesnt have to change a damn thing to conform to the UK suck as i didnt have to conform to Germany which also have a MOT but its called TUV and its even more strict than the UK. PLEASE IF YOUR NOT US MILITARY DONT POST INFO CAUSE YOUR WRONG! AND YOUR MISS LEADING THIS SOLDIER! With that being said Dustan78 please IM me and i will set you strait since im also military and have brought a few cars over to europe. And for all you people that are going to say "but your in germany and its diffrent!" Guess what i had to clear coustoms in england! wow maybe i know what im talking about! you all assume you know what has to be done but you know what? Assumtion is the mother of all F**K UPS! and you assume too much!
I truly hate having people like you on this forum. You positively think you know everything but you don't. The topic is about the UK.

You imported a vehicle with final destination to Germany, the UK was just a stopping point in the process. Registering a vehicle in the UK is completly different, you must comply with the MOT in order to get your permanent plates other wises you only have a temporary visitors permit.

I imported and registered 2 vehicles to the UK while I was stationed in the USAF there:

My Dodge Stealth R/T TT back in Feb 2000 from the USA
and a Porsche 911 Carrera 4 bought in Spain and brought to the UK in Sep 2000
Also my ex-wife(currently 22 year active duty USAF imported /registered her Lexus LX450 in 98 as well having to go through the MOT ,(light conversions,plates and emiisions)

Specifically speaking, my Dodge Stealth needed the rear fog light conversion and it also needed the turn signals to be amber instead of red and finally the parking lights has to be changed from amber to clear.

On my Porsche , the car needed the headlight glass to be converted to british roads tolerance, I ended having to buy the british headlight glass to be able to properly illuminate the british roads because the car came with the headlights made for left hand drive . Additionally I had to buy a new catalityc converter an a set of springs because the previous set up the car had had the front tires rubbing.

An by the way, if the guy gets order to the UK and if he is in the USAF then he follows under USAF command in Europe or USAFE.

Is there any more crap that you want me to prove you wrong? Remember bro, there is always someone that can top up your histories.

And as far is this comment from you:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"PLEASE IF YOUR NOT US MILITARY DONT POST INFO CAUSE YOUR WRONG! AND YOUR MISS LEADING THIS SOLDIER"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
^^^ This is the actual comment that truly killed you credibility on this forum forever. Why did you say that if you aren't in the military to not post? why are you saying that if you are not in the military you are wrong?
You can actually get orders to any military installation in the UK and not having to be a military, you can be a civilian and still import/register your car with the same privileges.
You can also import/register a vehicle as a dependent/spouse that means that you aren't in the military but still get the same privileges.

You are absolutely wrong in every account and you should be considered to have your privileges on this forum removed for several reasons:

- calling people names ("You are retarded")
- wrongfully misinforming other members (saying that they don't need their cars inspected when importing/registering a car into the UK)
- for lacking of credibility and making false official statements (If you are not in the military don't post because you are wrong").

I am truly disturbed from your false official statements bro. I guess that I am the exception in the world, a military member that was stationed in the UK (RAF Lakenheath) and had several cars imported and had to pass the MOT inspection plus having to pay from my own pocket.

Moderators , please, please please, watch out for this guy.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 10, 2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Dustan78,

If you are in the USAF(you haven't specified yet) then you will also need the following:

1) Military/civilian registration and certificate of title of motor vehicle which is an air force form 430 (AF FORM 430,APR 92)
2) You will also need a request for delivery of a motor vehicle without payment of duty value added tax and car tax 3 Air Force form 156(3 AF FORM 156, JUL 87/COO & E 941 (pink big thin paper).
3) Once you are done then you will need the V5C form (final registration)
4) You will also have to pay for the MOT out of you own pocket(about 35 british pounds)
5) Ultimately you have to pay the road tax wich is around 200 british pounds.

I guess that this people also did the light conversion just for fun uh:>>

http://users.boardnation.com/~import...y;threadid=115

http://www.import-car.info/modifications.shtml

http://users.boardnation.com/~import...action=search2
  • Rear indicators are separate to the brake lights and the right colour (this is different to US cars)
  • Front indicators are the right colour and have repeaters on the side of the vehicle. This may require small indicators added to the side of the car and holes drilled in the wing as appropriate to accommodate them.
  • A red rear fog light is fitted - US cars often don't have these.
  • The correct white parking lights are present.
  • Headlights are pointing the right way - check before you bring the car in that this does not mean a costly set of new headlights!
  • Tyres match the advertised top speed of the vehicle. Tyres have a code (R, S or T rating) on them which matches a theoretical top speed. If the rating is lower than the manufactirers advertised top speed - you'll need new tyres (for the SVA anyway!)
  • The speedometer has Kilometer as well as Mile readings.
  • The right brake fluid level indicator is present on the dashboard or else the reservoir is clear.
  • The number plate meets UK standards (correct size, shape, lettering)
  • Protrusion standards are met (ie removing long exhaust pipes, bull bars, mascots etc)
Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 10, 2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:30 AM

aside from all that stuff, you will love it in europe. i have been here since july and my wife and i love it. travel as much as you can and drive the hell out of your evo. i am pretty upset because mine is starting to act up so i need to find someplace to get it checked out. other than that, enjoy your time here. dont waste it.
brock

Quick Reply: moving to england