Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tune for a stock Evo -- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disregard that whole post. OMG you put cams in and all them other mods and then hit fuel cut..... Then you found it necessary to get a tune. WOW is all I have to say!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tune on a stock evo will net you 25-30whp on average.

For the low cost of a tune you cant go wrong. Best bang for the buck.

Retunes down the road are 1/2 the price as the intial tune, thats good to keep in mind while modding.

Cheers!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

no exceptions!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 02:55 AM

wow read through this whole post and learned quite a bit.

but the whole no tune with TBE doesnt sound like a good idea.

my friend straight piped his IX and and removed the cat and hit the fuel cut alot before he got a tune.

anyways...i will most likely be getting an evo next month and it sounds like if i want a good power increase to go with TBE, drop in filter, MBC and tune?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
impossible, the bost pill limits boost to 20-21 psi. He had something wrong with his car to be detonating that bad.
he had to have taken out his pill for that to have happen.

Originally Posted by Box Rocket
This is NOT correct information. You NEED a tune with a TBE. A coworker of mine had a TBE and BR airfilter with no tune for a while and was detonating. He didn't know it. Ended up sucking a plug into the head. Had to replace the head.

Definitely get a tune with a TBE. Better safe than sorry.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

Wow, yeah some good info here that I didn't know about. Ok, so I have a megan catback and a k&n drop in. I'm getting an mbc, test pipe and downpipe, o2 housing, fuel pump, and probably a hyper voltage and ground system with my tax return. What kind of numbers you guys think that'll net up to? Most importantly to me though is the gas mileage a tune will give me. About how much better does it get? My evo is my only car that I drive, so those numbers are important to my wallet.

Oh yeah, forgot upper and lower intercooler pipes as well are going to be added.

Last edited by c_sautter; Jan 17, 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:08 PM

I was in your shoes not to long ago and wanted a dyno tune from AMS on my stock Evo IX MR. Before the tune Chris @ AMS suggested I get a MBC, I also added an Apexi intake while I was at it. Chris was able to extract 315 hp and 303 Tq on 91 pump gas @ 21psi on those two basic mods, MBC & Intake.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lemmonhead
impossible, the bost pill limits boost to 20-21 psi. He had something wrong with his car to be detonating that bad.
he had to have taken out his pill for that to have happen.
Nope. No other changes to the car period. Just the cone filter and full exhaust. The point is, I'm sure you can get away without tuning after basic mods like an exhaust but why risk it? Something could go wrong unexpectedly.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denny424
Disregard that whole post. OMG you put cams in and all them other mods and then hit fuel cut..... Then you found it necessary to get a tune. WOW is all I have to say!
Apparently you don't understand. Why do you think I didn't assume I needed a tune? I knew I would need one, but I also know that there is no where within 500 miles to get a tune. So I put in my mods now I can drive my car to Chicago to tune it without having to pay anyone to put parts on my car....What don't you get?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

you dont need a boost pill you can run it off your stock ecu and cut the line coming from the j pipe and put a stright trouhg line in there
Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

I do understand. You had to have gotten on it with the cams to hit the fuel cut. That dont sound smart. Do whatever you do my friend!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denny424
I do understand. You had to have gotten on it with the cams to hit the fuel cut. That dont sound smart. Do whatever you do my friend!
It was actually after the intake hardpipe that it started throwing that code one more week limping it around like this before I can finally get on it again.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think I agree with most people when I say get your basic mods out of the way first. It'll save you a bit of $$$. If you don't have any intention on going further with your mods in the next 3-6 months, sure - get it tuned stock. Like others have posted. 15-30hp from a tune to a stock car is a pretty decent gain in performance, and in MPG. Otherwise, it's kind of a waste.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you are planning on getting mods in the near future then wait for those before getting tuned but if you will keep it stock for a while then get a tune. you'll be sure ur car is knock free and at the same time you will get more power out of it. if you cruise a lot then you can get tuned for that and increase your mpg.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

wow, i've got a lot to think about now, but its all good. Thanks for all the responses.

Quick Reply: Tune for a stock Evo -- worth it?