Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tune for a stock Evo -- worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune for a stock Evo -- worth it?

I’m thinking about getting a tune or a base flash for my Evo 9. I have no immediate plans to do any major mods.

Will the difference in power after the tune be noticeable from a seat-of-the-pants standpoint? I understand that the power increase will be moderate, but wonder if it’s really worth it. All advice is welcome, but I’m especially interested in those who got a tune or even a base flash as their first mod.

Also – if I’m tuned in the dead of winter with 30 degree temps, will the tune still be fine in the summer, with high humidity in the 90’s, or will I need a re-tune? Thanks

(I searched but didn’t find any recent threads on these specific topics)

Last edited by modetm; May 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Go to AMS and get there TBE and a tune and you'll be alot more happy with the money ya spent! You'll have a perma grin for weeks!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

alright get a mbc a drop in and a used TBE you wont spend but 350 and then tune it and plus tunning it gives you better gas mileage

i have an 8 with RSR TBE intake all the ic pipes and ic plus bigger j pipe mbc tuned on 93 pump with 21.5psi runin 311

Last edited by gixxerman11; Jan 16, 2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: 8
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by modetm
I’m thinking about getting a tune or a base flash for my Evo 9. I have no immediate plans to do any major mods other than a mbc and maybe a fuel pump.

Will the difference in power after the tune be noticeable from a seat-of-the-pants standpoint? I understand that the power increase will be moderate, but wonder if it’s really worth it. All advice is welcome, but I’m especially interested in those who got a tune or even a base flash as their first mod.

Also – if I’m tuned in the dead of winter with 30 degree temps, will the tune still be fine in the summer, with high humidity in the 90’s, or will I need a re-tune? Thanks

(I searched but didn’t find any recent threads on these specific topics)
I wouldn't be surprised if you got 20hp from just a tune since our cars are set so rich from the factory. Most dyno graphs I've seen show the A/F ratio down to 10:1 towards redline.

Most tuners will account for varying seasons and different temperatures in the tune i.e. a margin of safety. Some tuners also request that you make back to back runs without a cooling down period so that you get readings when the car is really getting pushed.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleeper3
I wouldn't be surprised if you got 20hp from just a tune since our cars are set so rich from the factory. Most dyno graphs I've seen show the A/F ratio down to 10:1 towards redline.

Most tuners will account for varying seasons and different temperatures in the tune i.e. a margin of safety. Some tuners also request that you make back to back runs without a cooling down period so that you get readings when the car is really getting pushed.
when i did my first tune i ran 11 times back to back to get everything right boost timing
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

If you get the drop in filter, MBC, and TBE with a dyno tune at AMS your car would pull like a freight train! AMS tuned my car and its an absolute beast. Great customer service and quick work. Great tune in summer and winter. No Knock and am very pleased. I think there doing $400 for tune and $900 for TBE with test pipe. You'll be satisfied with power for a long time!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Don't really need a pump on a IX till you start making close to 350awhp+. MBC and a tune you'll be scootin. MBC + TBE + tune, even more gains. Stock Evo's are so **** poor rich so at the LEAST on top of power gains, you'll see noticeable MPG gains esp at WOT.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

I think this is an excellent question. I'm still stock and have no intention of doing any major mods. But I'm interested in a tune just to give a bit more zip and better mpg.

Most of you have mentioned getting a dyno tune. Is a mail-in worth it? or is a waste of money?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

If your going to get a mail in go with Mellon! Dyno tune is more for if you have mods that you want to maximize to the fullest potential.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

i gain almost 20 hp and 20 tq with tune on stock evo 9 mr
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

def worth it do a mail in & but a k&n with some kinda cat back exhaust might get you up to a 50 whp gain
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the kind words.

OP or anyone else, if you have any questions about our service you can pm me or contact me on AIM (mellontuning).

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I want a mellon tune but I got an accessport and Chris aint a pro-tuner. You think this might ever change?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have a drop in yet, I'm selling my k&n filter. I'm in Chicago, let me know if you want to buy it. I just got tuned and full exhaust put on this weekend. Car is totaly diffierent. Go for it.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your staying stock or just adding an exhaust, i think its better to just tune it yourself. its cheap and you get to fiddle around and learn a lot. its not rocket science and just takes time and patience. You will see a pretty good increase in power.
But to answer your question, yes a tune will give ya a great feel in the seat of your pants!

Quick Reply: Tune for a stock Evo -- worth it?