Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

RS back on the dyno......again, ignition and muffler testing.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find your ignition observations interesting.

I am on a stock ECU, and I happen to have a FULL Buschur COP setup, as well as a FULL Sparktec COP set-up.

I have about 20 datalogs now to try and figure out exactly why there is a really strange part throttle misfire feeling with one of the units being installed exactly the way. I have been data logging both units now, mostly in my drives back and forth to work, and am comparing all the logs to eachother. The interesting thing is, the one that has the wierd feeling to it, I found out how to get it to go away.

One thing I find interesting is I can tell which unit is on the car just by looking at the data logs.

In about another week, I will be posting a lengthy review, along with a few of the data logs.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur

Well today we have a car in our shop for a very large build and in the trunk of the car was..............a complete Spark Tech ignition. I've read here and in other places about our competitor Spark Tech and heard how this and that are different etc. Him and I have spent more than enough time argueing on EVOm about our products.
Hmmmmmmm
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good David. I'm still deciding between a 2nd bullet or the SD muffler. I just sold my Magnaflow muffler for the stock bumper, so I'll be ordering one of the two shortly.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
If you guys all come up so we can go out before Jeff leaves I'll have you listen to my car. Still loud but now there is no raspiness to it.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

The weekend of the 28th is the first weekend I can do it. I can hold off on buying anything till then anyways. Not like the car is going anywhere anytime soon!!
Old Feb 1, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PARTY!!!... we should have a fire outside

I really wanna hear this muffler, it looks light as hell.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 07:40 PM
Former Sponsor

just a thought david. but witch spark tech unit did you have. i know from back in the day to present there have been several changes to the unit from wiring to looks.

not saying it would change the power out come in your testing but just the brake up. i see you said you put the stock coil packs on and still had the issue. now im on a stock ecu and am one of the people who had bad issues with break up with C.O.P. then the new updated ''latest'' release of the ST c.o.p. came out and my problems where all solved. i know both c.o.p. units here are indeed wired differently i have had them both in my hands. so maybe try the newest version of there c.o.p. i bring this up because you can tune 100% with the aem vs my stock ecu and my issues where gone.

also i remember the old days when my evo and others where bone stock. if you remember them days im sure you remember the factory hickups they had at low steady RPM. maybe its just how it acts????? i say it like that because i do not know. but more or less just a nother thought to consider/eliminate
Old Feb 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry for going OT.....

Originally Posted by tkklemann
I find your ignition observations interesting.

I am on a stock ECU, and I happen to have a FULL Buschur COP setup, as well as a FULL Sparktec COP set-up.

I have about 20 datalogs now to try and figure out exactly why there is a really strange part throttle misfire feeling with one of the units being installed exactly the way. .
Misfire feeling on which set up?
I have BR COP and just installed it couple weeks ago.
I thought I was having a misfire feeling on part throttle @ low rpm's but when I changed my plugs it never happen again.(plug was 6K+ miles when I 1st installed it)
How many miles on your plugs and what was the gap at?

Last edited by evovin; Feb 4, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Just out of curiosity Dave, you ever going to post a sound clip of the new exhaust? I myself and I'm sure everyone else would love to hear it. I need to tone mine down a tad since I tend to get pulled over for my exhaust more often then not If there is a sound clip somewhere posted and I missed it then my apologies.

Awesome power BTW!!
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

I have your exhaust for the USDM rear bumper, But just recently got the JDM 9 rear bumper.

I'm very interested in this SD muffler since it would look better with my new rear bumper.

I'll probably buy a SD in a slip fit and trim it to fit, also I would have to move the bullet muffler. do ya'll put them in the test pipe, or right after

the test pipe in the middle? I might get the SD muffler from ya'll and get an exhaust shop to move the bullet muffler for me

it's awesome how there is virtually no power loss by adding the SD muffler!! since thats true this seems a lot smarter for us power hungry people to run a bullet muffler and a SD muffler rather than running 2 bullet mufflers

Last edited by Johnboy1065; Feb 5, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

wow, that was big you Dave. I'm pretty surprise. I'm having second thought about your attitude in the past. Maybe you ain't a bad guy after all.

....Charlie@C-Spec tuning

Last edited by vboy425; Oct 30, 2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

The ST ignition I tested is brand new, just purchased, receipt is in the car with the unit.

I've got a few PM's since I made this thread actually with other people having the same issues, quite a few of which have now bought a second COP, be it ours or ST's and they are having the same problems with both units.

The SD muffler can be installed just about anywhere because it is very small in diameter you can squeeze it in the offroad pipe location or the tubing behind that.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i am interested in a slip fit SD for the rear

i ran a hfc and bullet and it was loud but not tooo loud, then i gutted the cat and it was too loud, then i added a second bullet where the cat goes and it got quieter but not quiet enough

would a SD rear section be quieter than the magnaflow rear?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

The Magnaflow muffler is the quietest muffler we offer. This SD muffler is only to help knock the noise level down another notch.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 02:17 PM
Account Disabled

David, how much does the magnaflow hurt performance on a car at your level? I've lived with the raspiness only because I don't want to sacrifice power...at least until I meet my goal this year

I could stand a lot less buzzing and droning

Quick Reply: RS back on the dyno......again, ignition and muffler testing.