Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

RS back on the dyno......again, ignition and muffler testing.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much would the SD muffle cost as a slip fit for your old race exhaust, that thing is damn loud and id love to shut it up with no power loss, lol
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
It will depend on where you want the SD to fit. Where the offroad pipe goes or in the rear. You'd be best to call the shop for the quote as it is going to be completely custom.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I installed a Buschur bullet muffler in my Buschur turboback this past weekend. Compared to the 3" Random Tech converter I had on there before, the sound level is nearly identical. What's really surprising is that although the muffler looks much bigger, it is actually very lightweight -- about the same as the bullet cat. It fit nicely with plenty of clearance from the factory heat shield. The sound is definitely more subdued than with the straight test pipe.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went ahead and ordered a system with the Bullet muffler in the test pipe location and SD muffler in the rear. They're also going to shorten it to better fit with the JDM rear bumper that I have on the way. Should look nice without the big muffler hanging back there. I'm coming from a Greddy EVO2 and wanted something louder. I can't wait to hear how this one sounds. Thanks to Jarrod, David, and the Buschur team.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Is this muffler small enough to fit in a OEM cat shell?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 06:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ronitlancer
Is this muffler small enough to fit in a OEM cat shell?
No it is not. Sorry.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

I almost find that hard to believe, I've seen plenty of resonated test-pipes in cat-shells and this doesnt look any bigger then that. Do you know anybody who has tried Jrod?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Every time I watch a Bad bish video I can't get over the sound. Awesome exhaust for sure.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:03 PM
Former Sponsor

im wondering if anyone has done the Magnaflow at the front and the SD at the rear ? and how does it sound ....

Now this thread is old and im assuming the part discussed here was this one :
Buschur Racing 3" Evo SD Rear Section

http://www.mellontuning.com/index.ph...products_id=55

The Buschur Racing 3" Evo SD rear section is designed to work primarily with the Buschur Racing 3" downpipe and Buschur Racing 3" catback exhaust. This offers a straight through 3" ID design.

Made from stainless steel with a slip-fit connection on one end and a polished 4" exhaust tip on the other this is designed to replace the larger mufflers we offer for our system when using a JDM Evo 9 rear bumper or just for a cleaner look with your factory bumper.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 05:15 AM

Would their be any downside to running the SD muffler in place of the test pipe and an SD muffler towards the rear? And how would the sound be if you just ran the SD muffler towards the rear and just a regular straight through test pipe?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

The SD muffler is small and only gets rid of some of the cackling sound you get on a big turbo.

Funny you'd ask about the Magnaflow in the center. We use a smaller diameter Magnaflow on a few of our exhaust here now. Let me tell you guys a story......

We had a customer come in for a tune a few months ago. He told me everything he had done, which went like this, "I've got everything BR on my car" I hear that on every tune and it usually ends up being not quite accurate. So I get in the car to load it on the dyno and instantly say to myself, "This guys a douche, that's not our exhaust." I said this because it didn't sound like anything we ever built. As I drove the car on the dyno I was thinking, "This is the freaking sweetest sounding EVO I've ever driven, I need to see what exhaust is on it." So I lean out of the car door and look under it, WTF?!! It IS a Buschur Racing exhaust! At this point I don't know what is going on. I had to get out and inspect the car. It was a stock appearing turbo of some sort, our full 3" turbo back with the smaller Magnaflow where the cat goes and the SD in the back. Let me tell you, it was freaking sweet music. Not too loud and the tone was just magic. That is by far the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on an EVO. I have not heard that combination yet on a large turbo set up, like a 35r but I am going to because I'm going to try it on my RS. Curt Brown went with my recommendation and did that same small Magnaflow/SD on his EVO9 JDM rear EVO and he also loves it. If he sees this maybe he can post a sound clip. You have to hear it in person though I think, it's just fantastic.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:41 AM
Account Disabled

David, I'm very interested in this as well, Since I went from the stock ported manifold/green to the header/35R the test pipe/bullet muffler combo became extremely raspy around 3500rpm.

This also started setting off the knock sensor to such a degree that the stock ecu pulled tons of timing. I've filtered out the knock in that section so the car runs great again but it doesn't sound good at part throttle. At WOT the dump opens and I love it but I don't drive around WOT all of the time (almost though)

If there's a combination that isn't restrictive and improves the sound I'll be interested in that.

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The SD muffler is small and only gets rid of some of the cackling sound you get on a big turbo.

Funny you'd ask about the Magnaflow in the center. We use a smaller diameter Magnaflow on a few of our exhaust here now. Let me tell you guys a story......

We had a customer come in for a tune a few months ago. He told me everything he had done, which went like this, "I've got everything BR on my car" I hear that on every tune and it usually ends up being not quite accurate. So I get in the car to load it on the dyno and instantly say to myself, "This guys a douche, that's not our exhaust." I said this because it didn't sound like anything we ever built. As I drove the car on the dyno I was thinking, "This is the freaking sweetest sounding EVO I've ever driven, I need to see what exhaust is on it." So I lean out of the car door and look under it, WTF?!! It IS a Buschur Racing exhaust! At this point I don't know what is going on. I had to get out and inspect the car. It was a stock appearing turbo of some sort, our full 3" turbo back with the smaller Magnaflow where the cat goes and the SD in the back. Let me tell you, it was freaking sweet music. Not too loud and the tone was just magic. That is by far the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on an EVO. I have not heard that combination yet on a large turbo set up, like a 35r but I am going to because I'm going to try it on my RS. Curt Brown went with my recommendation and did that same small Magnaflow/SD on his EVO9 JDM rear EVO and he also loves it. If he sees this maybe he can post a sound clip. You have to hear it in person though I think, it's just fantastic.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

If you have the normal USDM rear bumper then I'd put the big Magnaflow in the back and something else in the middle. Daniel runs a bullet in the middle and Magnaflow in the back to keep his car quiet, he's run 9.60's like that.

If you've got a JDM rear bumper and want the car to look good you are limited, the SD or no muffler in the back is all that looks good in my opinion with the JDM rear. The best solution, I'd guess is that small Magnaflow in the middle and the SD in the back for looks and sound. If you don't mind it being ugly there are other options.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:18 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
If you have the normal USDM rear bumper then I'd put the big Magnaflow in the back and something else in the middle. Daniel runs a bullet in the middle and Magnaflow in the back to keep his car quiet, he's run 9.60's like that.
good info dave, I have the USDM rear currently. I may look into this on down the road, right now I'm wrestling with Tilton over stripped splines in the hub of their clutch