Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Some questions on injectors and fuel tuning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions on injectors and fuel tuning

Hi guys,
I just picked up an 05 Evo with an FP Green in it and pretty much everything else except cams.
The car is currently running PTe 680's and a Walbro 255 for fuel. Was tuned by the prior owner on ECU Flash to like very low 10's AFR in full boost and claimed about 400whp on the ECU flash software I guess. I dont believe its anywhere near there as is to be honest.
I knocked some fuel out to get her into the high 11 area in full boost. Its pretty solid and pretty conservative timing maps as I understand for the time being until I can get to a real tuner.

Now my main question is how far I should push these 680's. I have the stock FPR in so I cant really bump pressure to get any more out of them. The car is running about 25psi or so on initial hit and tapers to 21.5 solid. Im guessing it hits 25 due to the ramp feature or duty cycle on the EBC. I havent logged anything yet to see the duty cycles, but I am assuming these injectors will be pushing it at 400whp?
My tuner has a real hardon for these Injector Dynamics injectors right now. I guess are a subsidiary of Bosch or something. he said the 1000cc's are amazing and the spray patterns and atomization allow them to be much more streetable and tunable in different ranges then some of the more common brands. Im tempted to try them out because I totally trust him, but my main concern is streetability and kinda gas mileage. I know what usually happens when you step to the 1000cc range, but he is telling me otherwise on these.

Whats everyones thoughts on this. Anyone heard anything about these injectors yet? Also how much bigger can I go without totally throwing my semi ok gas mileage out the door and still be able to make power. Honestly 400whp I think is very attainable and would be happy to see that out of this turbo

EDIT: ignore the signature. Im posting on a friends acct till admins set me up on here. He is a 1G DSm guy.

Last edited by VETTE_50_TH; Mar 19, 2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

You can break 400whp on 680s easy, so I wouldn't be too worried about running out of fuel. Stock FPR is sufficient also. Log some duty cycles and see what it comes up with. I could be wrong, maybe you are coming close but I doubt it.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

its been a while since I ran a 4cyl turbo to be honest. Ive been running 6cyls for the last few years, so I was able to make low 500's on 550's in my supra. lol Not the smartest thing I have done, but it worked well. I didnt run it alot at that level though.
now with 4 injectors my 1G buddy reminded me that the 680's might be really pushing it. So made sense and I dl'ed Evoscan and will log some stuff this weekend to see.
He keeps telling me to get an FPR too, but I keep telling him its not needed. Honestly the only reason I have ever run one was to push smaller injectors a little further with fuel pressure or because I upgraded fuel lines completely and just figured it might be a nice thing to do.

Honestly though the AFR will hold up I am sure because of the pressure from the pump. Problem is running higher duty cycles paranoys me sometimes. I have done it on many occassions, but never in a car I dd'd. so since I dd it, it will be run harder more often. lol
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

No opinions?

Well I logged a little on friday. Had a PITA with Evo Scan loggin AFR on my AEM UGO. Finally got that working fine, then the data logs wont save. But what i saw so far is about 70% duty cycles max at 21 PSI.
So I guess I got a little room to go if need be.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is wrong area for this question. This area is for DYNO results.

Take your question to the ECUflash/Tuning area.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

my bad. Ill see if a mod can move this.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll get answers there!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:42 AM

was wondering whether running higher injectors i.e. 700cc with tune would still affect idling?rough idling compared to stock even with proper tune?

which option would be better? using stock injectors with aftermarket FPR to squeeze out fuel to meet goal or upgrade to bigger injectors using stock FPR?

Last edited by 3zero7; Mar 23, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:30 AM

or is using both higher injectors and aftermarket FPR would be a better option?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3zero7
was wondering whether running higher injectors i.e. 700cc with tune would still affect idling?rough idling compared to stock even with proper tune?

which option would be better? using stock injectors with aftermarket FPR to squeeze out fuel to meet goal or upgrade to bigger injectors using stock FPR?
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but with a tune, even larger injectors will idle fine. If you install new injectors (larger), and don't tune it, it may not start or it may run really rich.

I plan on running 1000cc injectors on stock ecu/stock motor etc. idle will be normal when tuned.