Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Anybody tuned with a Restrictor?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody tuned with a Restrictor?

Just curious... Taking our rally car to EFI Logics to have it tuned, just wondering if anybody else has been tuned for a restrictor. Wondering what the power results and power bands are like.

Our car is an evo8, stock turbo intake & turbo, Gruppe N turboback, Walbro Pump, and will be Halman Pro RX MBC.
Old May 8, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes.

Search.

This section is for results, not questions. Look in the AMS area they just did a rally car. With a typical restrictor you can make 300 whp with good tuning, but you loose power at about 5500 RPM's.
Old May 8, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Dynoflash tuned one not too long ago
Old May 9, 2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jid2
Yes.

Search.

This section is for results, not questions. Look in the AMS area they just did a rally car. With a typical restrictor you can make 300 whp with good tuning, but you loose power at about 5500 RPM's.
Sorry, I searched this forum for "restrictor" and "rally", and neither got any results..
Old May 9, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by jid2
Yes.

Search.

I looked in the AMS section, and dont see any dyno graphs.. I'm wondering powerbands.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The search function does in fact suck massively.

Look for the "pikes peak" build in the AMS forum.

As for powerband, just assume the car falls on its face above 5500 RPM and you've got it.
Old May 11, 2009, 05:39 AM

yeah... Thats a 2.3 stroker on a high dollar open class car... I'm more wondering what a PGT car will do, which is basically a stock evo w/ turboback,MBC, & fuel pump...

Thanks for the link though... Saw a few other things that i have to raise some questions about...
Old May 11, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nperkins
yeah... Thats a 2.3 stroker on a high dollar open class car... I'm more wondering what a PGT car will do, which is basically a stock evo w/ turboback,MBC, & fuel pump...
Its my car in the build, and while its got a fair bit invested, its certainly nowhere near an optimized Open Class car, but the guys at AMS Performance did a hell of a job extracting power from it. Had stage rally been my goal for the car, I would've done something very different for the engine. The car's primary focus is Pikes Peak where we get to run unrestricted, so much of my build was aimed at having headroom to make power in the upper revs. However, with 5 bolts (2 v-band flanges for the cat & 3 allen screws for the restrictor) it would be ready to hit a stage rally.

As for any advice, I'd suggest ditching the MBC for an EBC.

Glad to hear another Evo is about to hit the stages , one of these days I'll need to figure out how to afford stage rallying. I'm also assuming you're going to be building a SuperProduction car, as I was under the impression that an Evo wasn't legal for PGT due to the need for downsizing the brakes?

Edit: couple other thoughts:

The stock Evo powerplant was designed around running on a restrictor, so you'll probably have a broader powerband than what you saw on my car. Make sure to spend some money/time on getting a proper restrictor. If you're using a stock VIII turbo, I'm sure someone out there has an optimized restrictor you can buy (probably from someone overseas though they're probably 32mm ones for GpN cars). If you need something fabbed up, try checking with the AMS guys and I'm sure they could get you one milled. Keep in mind when viewing my dyno charts that despite the 2.3L engine, the turbo I'm running was designed for use with aggressive anti-lag, which my car doesn't have yet. I've heard that some of the WRC cars will have close to 20psi off throttle and over 40psi peak boost.

Good Luck!

Dave

Last edited by DaveK; May 11, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old May 12, 2009, 03:57 AM

Thanks for the response... We are actually building the car for NASA, not for RA... RA doesn't allow novices to run AWD turbo cars...

NASA doesn't allow EBC's for GT class, thats why we're going with an MBC instead of the stock solenoid.

I did alot of research regarding the restrictor, and made one myself. When running GT in NASA, you have to run the stock intake pipe... So the length of the restrictor is very limited, and we cant run a big horn like we could in open class...

Here is my restrictor..

(Before I drilled the holes and safety wired it in)

We won't be running Anti-Lag anytime soon, since the cat for the GruppeN exhaust is ridiculously expensive, not to mention we dont have the money to grenade turbos every event, even if it is just the stock 8 turbo..

So does NOS energy drink want to sponsor an east coast stage rally evo?
Old May 13, 2009, 10:56 PM

I've tuned a Evo 6.5 with a 34mm restrictor... Ran up to 18-19psi through midrange, but really fell off up top to about 12-13psi (with a bleed valve).

I imagine an EBC would have picked up a bit more bottom end grunt, and held on a little more up top, but it ended up making about 240whp on a DynoDynamics dyno.

Was running the ARC GroupN fuel (which I think is 100RON (Aussie)) fuel...

Cheers,
matt