Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

WORKS tune too conservative?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No sound clips. I am sure they can retune with an ECU Unlocker. If I can get a clip I will. No promises though.

I am not sure how the WORKS ABM compares to other straight through design mufflers since its input is on the side like the stocker. I know it has a big open area where the input goes to and it is kind of conical on the inside. It is very good suppressing noise.

Last edited by racer135; Jun 20, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bchappy
oh BTW without a tune 25psi with 91 will
A. knock substantially
B. lighten your wallet anywhere from $3000-$6000.

And you really need someone who knows what there doing if you tune a car to 25PSI on 91 octane fuel.
Typically 22psi is a good number if you use good fuel and you still will have a good timing map.
My fault I didnt read the 91 octane part.I'm running 93 octane.I shouldve read it better.My apologies.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by bchappy
I usually see more boost taper with a restrictive exhaust(of course) and the car usually will take less timing then what is typical especially with any type of cat.
Every car is different, 107mph trap seems about 2mph shy then what you should be running but there are many factors that could affect this.
I am willing to bet you may have a boost leak somewhere, see if the guys at GST can help you out I have a feeling they could possibly solve your issues, if not eek out some more power for you.
I would strongly advise you not to turn the boost up, especially on 91 oct, without a knock light and wideband
You were right on the money with the boost leak. I just did a boost leak test and found a significant hiss around the throttle body area but couldn't find the exact location. Even with soapy water I just couldn't find it.

I'll be ordering a throttle body gasket. Does any one know what else I should replace while I have it out just to have my bases covered if it wasn't the gasket?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

20psi on 91 is very conservative. I'm running 25 psi with no knock on 91
Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spinitch
You were right on the money with the boost leak. I just did a boost leak test and found a significant hiss around the throttle body area but couldn't find the exact location. Even with soapy water I just couldn't find it.

I'll be ordering a throttle body gasket. Does any one know what else I should replace while I have it out just to have my bases covered if it wasn't the gasket?
Its probably throttle body shaft seals. I just ordered some new ones from MIL.spec.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...available.html

$750 for a tune seems awefully steep unless your getting an AEM tune from someone really good.

Should have used mellon lol.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Its probably throttle body shaft seals. I just ordered some new ones from MIL.spec.

$750 for a tune seems awefully steep unless your getting an AEM tune from someone really good.

Sweet, thanks for link. The only aftermarket seals the TB gasket I saw was from WORKS.

and yea the tune was very expensive. The flash was $550, dyno tune was $150 and installing the boost pill was $50 plus tax on all. They did have great customer service though and actually answered their phones. At the time they were the only ones available to do a dyno tune. I just really wanted a dyno tune just to check every thing was within spec. I just wish they would have told me I had a boost leak.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:40 PM
Account Disabled

Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:59 PM

Ordered some TB seals and gasket. I'll report when I get the boost leak fixed on the car feels. I'm confident the power I expected will be at its full potential after the leak fix.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

You were paying for the ECUTek License. They do not do ECUFlash on the Evos. Still you can do the same for free with ECUFlash.