Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

WORKS tune too conservative?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WORKS tune too conservative?

I got my IX MR tuned last month at WORKS CA dynapack dyno

Mods:
Perrin Drop-in
eBay LICP
Megan DP
Megan TP
WORKS 3" IP
WORKS StealthWORKS (Gutted through stock muffler)
WORKS P2 Brainflash and boost pill

Baseline with those mods: 248.3 HP @6353rpm 260.8 lbft @3553

After flash and dyno tune: 294.4 HP @6353rpm 289.1 lbft@3553

I was impressed at the gains and Pete the tuner stated everything looked good (AFRs, no knocks, no leaks..), but I noticed peak boost was only about 20psi. I had a Hallman ES MBC but I was told the boost pill assembly held boost better and didn't taper as much so I decided never to install it and stick with pill.

I know that the tune was pretty conservative but is it too conservative? 20psi max is about stock after those mods so do you think it was unsafe to go to 22-23psi? I'm on cali 91 octane so that might be a drawback. I sometimes see 1.4bar which is about 20psi on my MR stock boost gauge but mostly 1.3 bar with a little taper.

I know the stealthWORKS muffler is holding me back for more HP but I like the stock look and quietness. So basically I'm wondering is it worth it to install the Hallman ES MBC and put it to 22-23psi without going back for a dynotune that would cost more? I paid over $750 for the flash and dynotune so I don't want to go back for $300 more dyno tune time just up the boost.

The gains were impressive but it only got me from a 13.6 1/4mile stock to a 13.1 1/4mile after mods and tune with basically the same launch 1.8s 60fts and shifting. Trap went up from 101 to 107mph. My goal is about 300hp minimum at any dyno and 12's comfortably at the drags. I know dynapacks may read higher.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I usually see more boost taper with a restrictive exhaust(of course) and the car usually will take less timing then what is typical especially with any type of cat.
Every car is different, 107mph trap seems about 2mph shy then what you should be running but there are many factors that could affect this.
I am willing to bet you may have a boost leak somewhere, see if the guys at GST can help you out I have a feeling they could possibly solve your issues, if not eek out some more power for you.
I would strongly advise you not to turn the boost up, especially on 91 oct, without a knock light and wideband

Last edited by bchappy; Jun 20, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:40 PM

Well I know the bottleneck is at the axleback. I don't have a cat but the stealthWORKS muffler is still the stock axleback and the piping from the flange to muffler is a lot smaller. It just kind of looks like the internal chamber design was drilled out so it just goes through middle chamber and out the tip. I'm reluctant in getting a freer flowing catback because I had one installed and got a fixit ticket for it the next day. With my stealthWORKS I haven't been hassled or even checked at yet and is very tolerable as a daily driver. I was thinking of the WORKS exhale ABM for more power but want to stick with the sleathWORKS.

The max boost from the dyno tune and my stock boost gauge are accurate so WORKS would have told me if it did have a boost leak. I have t-bolts on my LICP.

I originally gave GST a call but they are pretty booked and only do weekends according to Bryan. I might try them again and see if they can work on the WORKS P2 Brainflash.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
do you have any evoscan logs?
Old Jun 20, 2009, 03:26 PM

I'm currently not doing any self logging or tuning.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

There are a few variables in what your asking and a few things to consider.
First off your baseline with some mods is lower than alot of other Evo IX's I've seen. We also have to know what your AFR's are and what kinda timing he set you up for. Don't forget every car responds different to things.

Just for quick reference my IX MR did 285whp with cutout,o2 housing,dp, MBC, intake as a baseline. After my first tune i ended up with 340whp/330tq. To get 50+ hp from your tune with basic mods is good.

I think the tune is probably good but maybe what you actually have on the car might not be going well together. That being said....the tune took me from 20psi to 23 psi also. For sure your car would benefit from a few more psi of boost but maybe the tuner didn't want to or some reason. Just my 2cents. Good luck with your stuff man and keep us posted.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:01 PM

I think installing the MBC would get me to my goal. 2-3 more psi on this tune should be fairly safe.

WORKS said their dyno reads 5% lower than most dynos but I've read dynapacks actually read higher.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

I would definately get a mbc. I ran 13.03 at 22 psi with k&n dropin, forge mbc and megan tbe, but also I have an evo 8.I know you can run 25psi on stock engine easily and get those 12 sec 1/4 mile and still maintain realibility with no problem.Oh yeah you need to get it retuned too!

Last edited by STIKILLA1084; Jun 20, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spinitch
I think installing the MBC would get me to my goal. 2-3 more psi on this tune should be fairly safe.

WORKS said their dyno reads 5% lower than most dynos but I've read dynapacks actually read higher.
once again, I advise you not to raise boost so much as 2psi on 91 octane without some way of seeing knock and AFRs.. like mentioned above you bumped HP up 50. That is a fairly good bump from baseline.
You are playing with fire if you do this just on the assumption that your tune is safe. I have seen cars make less with bad aggressive tunes than conservative tunes.(not saying works tune is to aggressive or bad for that matter)
If you could find a local that could log it then we all would provide you with better advice with what you possibly could do.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STIKILLA1084
I would definately get a mbc. I ran 13.03 at 22 psi with k&n dropin, forge mbc and megan tbe, but also I have an evo 8.I know you can run 25psi on stock engine easily and get those 12 sec 1/4 mile and still maintain realibility with no problem.
ahahhahaha that is about the worst advice you could give to a person who you know nothing about the car.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by STIKILLA1084
I would definately get a mbc. I ran 13.03 at 22 psi with k&n dropin, forge mbc and megan tbe, but also I have an evo 8.I know you can run 25psi on stock engine easily and get those 12 sec 1/4 mile and still maintain realibility with no problem.
oh BTW without a tune 25psi with 91 will
A. knock substantially
B. lighten your wallet anywhere from $3000-$6000.

And you really need someone who knows what there doing if you tune a car to 25PSI on 91 octane fuel.
Typically 22psi is a good number if you use good fuel and you still will have a good timing map.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bchappy
oh BTW without a tune 25psi with 91 will
A. knock substantially
B. lighten your wallet anywhere from $3000-$6000.

And you really need someone who knows what there doing if you tune a car to 25PSI on 91 octane fuel.
Typically 22psi is a good number if you use good fuel and you still will have a good timing map.
He's got a point with this. I forgot to factor the octane in. We run 93 here in Miami. The more i think about it, your tune is right where it should be.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:19 PM

I'll try to learn datalogging then. I just have a little buyers remorse after spending $750+ for the flash and tune. I just want a bit more power but still stick with my current mods.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The exhale ABM is not that loud. Have you heard one? I almost went with a BF I am glad I did not. Your ECU is most likely locked you need an unlocker to retune.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by racer135
The exhale ABM is not that loud. Have you heard one? I almost went with a BF I am glad I did not. Your ECU is most likely locked you need an unlocker to retune.
Do you have sound/video clips?

I'm not sure if works' flash is proprietery and if, say GST can tune it with the P2 flash.

Quick Reply: WORKS tune too conservative?