Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BBK / MAP Stg3 head /DB Performance tuning Dyno Results! Pump Gas & Alky!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:21 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Not on just pump, no. Race gas and E85, yes. Seems the red is more for the guys going for peak whp numbers and waaay top-end performance (7000+) on high boost (30+psi) and IMHO the bbk is a little better for more of the evos out there that are bolt-on, pump gas only cars running 24-27psi. With my aquamist/mapswitching kit, I get to do both. Truth be told, with just me in the car, there is plenty of power to keep a big big smile on my face! I flip the alky/high-boost on when I'm giving rides, someone wants to test & compare, or....if its friday and nice out
Old Jul 19, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm presently in Iraq. One of my fellow EVO brothers and I talk about what we are going to do with our cars once we return to the good 'ole U.S. of A. He is leaning towards the new 73HTA Green and I more so to the BBK Full (I hope he doesn't read this post as it might reveal to him my master plan).

Originally Posted by scheides
I did a 2nd gear pull with the wife in the car tonight after meeting with some friends and merging into traffic. She got sick, just on the pump gas tune. Doh!
Now that's the reaction I'm talking about. I'm sure my wife would have punched me in the face after she got done throwing up. I can just picture my baby girl in the backseat, strapped in her car seat, yelling, "Wee...!"

Originally Posted by kouzman
Nice results man! Good move on the safety margin! People should tune the cars the way they drive them and stop chasing dyno numbers!
Absoltutely a great comment and something that the typical EVO enthusiast doesn't take in account. Oftentimes, it's criminal as everyone wants to start a thread with their dyno numbers and caveat everything by mentioning that it's a "conversative" tune as if that really means anything. Street manners are where it's at in my opinion.

Bryan is prolly who pushed me over the edge on getting a BBK over an FP Red and I'm super glad I did. Again, with the detail he provided along with his posts, I really found the right turbo for me, and I still think its a better turbo for 4/5 people. Some want peak whp numbers, some want a little more bottom end.
Awesome comment. I know that you are not in the business of selling the BBK Full but comments like these are what the community needs to see and read instead of what's posted on websites about "x" turbo has a flow rate of such and such as oposed to "y" turbo that has a flow rate of such and such.

With my aquamist/mapswitching kit, I get to do both.
I plan on using the map switching functionality as well. What type do you have?

I have a few CBRD charts in front of me of the FP Red and BBK Full respectively. I'm not one to chase numbers but for those of you that find numbers of interest...

FP Red, 30PSI, 93 oct: 412whp/351wtq
FP Red, 26PSI, 93 oct: 374whp/310wtq
BBK Full, 29PSI, 93 oct: 378whp/340wtq
BBK Full, 27PSI, 93 oct: 424whp/350wtq
BBK Full, 27PSI, 93 oct: 373whp/346wtq

Again, not to get into some kind of number fight as opposed to throwing it out there for those that might be interested.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
strong car
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by pure_evo

Awesome comment. I know that you are not in the business of selling the BBK Full but comments like these are what the community needs to see and read instead of what's posted on websites about "x" turbo has a flow rate of such and such as oposed to "y" turbo that has a flow rate of such and such.
I just tell it like it is. Too many deep dark secrets in teh turbo industry today, CBRD are straight-shooters using OEM center section and custom billet wheels, it's a 100% oem looking turbo when the intake is on. I'm not trying to hide anything, but I think its cool.

I plan on using the map switching functionality as well. What type do you have?
I'm running Tephra v7t6 on my car with zero problems. I love it. Donate to tephra, he deserves it.

I have a few CBRD charts in front of me of the FP Red and BBK Full respectively. I'm not one to chase numbers but for those of you that find numbers of interest...

FP Red, 30PSI, 93 oct: 412whp/351wtq
FP Red, 26PSI, 93 oct: 374whp/310wtq
BBK Full, 29PSI, 93 oct: 378whp/340wtq
BBK Full, 27PSI, 93 oct: 424whp/350wtq
BBK Full, 27PSI, 93 oct: 373whp/346wtq

Remember not to focus so much on the peak whp numbers but focus more on the powerband and with it, the setup. Having a good combo of parts on a car is what makes the most out of this turbo. I have friends with bigger turbos on stock FMICs that have made less whp than me at more boost. Evolutions are all about progress, and that is what this turbo is. Can't wait to see what the next-gen stuff brings.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats man! I bet if feels good throught the power band!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

I just tell it like it is. Too many deep dark secrets in teh turbo industry today, CBRD are straight-shooters using OEM center section and custom billet wheels, it's a 100% oem looking turbo when the intake is on. I'm not trying to hide anything, but I think its cool. I'm running Tephra v7t6 on my car with zero problems. I love it. Donate to tephra, he deserves it. Remember not to focus so much on the peak whp numbers but focus more on the powerband and with it, the setup. Having a good combo of parts on a car is what makes the most out of this turbo. I have friends with bigger turbos on stock FMICs that have made less whp than me at more boost. Evolutions are all about progress, and that is what this turbo is. Can't wait to see what the next-gen stuff brings.
I really appreciate the feedback and you are so right about focusing on power under the curve with a new set of supporting parts. I have to keep reminding myself not to chase the numbers and to stick with what you believe and that is the BBK Full has quite an impressive power under the curve rating. Period. I'm probably not going to need the map switching as my signature says it all. Call me crazy.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:35 PM
EvoM Moderator

It's still required imho since it is what your ecu fails back to if there is a failure of your alky kit. All good alcohol injection systems should have a failsafe. I just happen to use mine for 'low boost' days
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:36 AM
Evolved Member

It's still required imho since it is what your ecu fails back to if there is a failure of your alky kit. All good alcohol injection systems should have a failsafe. I just happen to use mine for 'low boost' days
True. I'll be using E85 for the meantime to see how it goes and if I'll get tired of having to go to the same gas station. I'm rooting for Texas to get more stations in the future. It's all good right now as the station is only about five miles from where I work. By the way, I appreciate you sending me those charts and I can't wait to view them when things slow down here.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

7 weeks or so on this tune and I have been having tons of fun with it!

I put some data logs through the mrfred/Jack-of-Trades Virtual Dyno Room:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...simulator.html

Pretty sweet results:

Pump gas:

Alky:

Oh, and 4th gear pulls FTW on this setup! 400wtq feels freaking bad-****, like you are making the jump to light speed.
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/dvd/ep4/hyper5.jpg

Last edited by scheides; Aug 20, 2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Remember not to focus so much on the peak whp numbers but focus more on the powerband and with it, the setup. Having a good combo of parts on a car is what makes the most out of this turbo. I have friends with bigger turbos on stock FMICs that have made less whp than me at more boost. Evolutions are all about progress, and that is what this turbo is. Can't wait to see what the next-gen stuff brings.
That is all very true as by far my greatest struggle. I have had the frame of mind to get the "larger" turbo and simply build around it with the belief that it could achieve my goals without having to buy many aftermarket parts. I totally understand what you are talking about relating to power under the curve but then I'm always wondering about getting chased down either on the street or drag strip as I know the BBK Full will get the early jump on just about anything. I do not want to buy a double pumper AT ALL which I would have to eventually if I go with the 73HTA Green or FP Red. Just so you know, I've lined up the following parts: Rev3 intake manifold, 38MVS with external wastegate, CBRD FMIC, Shearer exhaust manifold, and the Kelford 272s to go along with the 1250cc injectors for E85. I surely can't wait until this deployment is over. I can run the 1250s without getting the double pumper and I'm really interested to see how the BBK Full will respond. From what I've been told, the FP Red will require the double pumper at around the 425whp mark and I am really hoping that I can get closer to +450whp/+450wtq with an awesome power curve with the BBK Full. Thoughts?
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:24 AM
EvoM Moderator

450whp/450wtq on what dyno? Remember 430whp on this dyno is like 500whp on a dynojet

1250's with a single warlbro on E85 should be plenty for even 480whp on this dyno, depending on where the single pump peeters out. With an upgraded WGA I'm sure 450whp would be possible, probably more if you're doing the shearer manifold as well. By the time you get back maybe you'll just want to get the BBK+(or BBK-XL), early results sound promising
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

450whp/450wtq on what dyno? Remember 430whp on this dyno is like 500whp on a dynojet

1250's with a single warlbro on E85 should be plenty for even 480whp on this dyno, depending on where the single pump peeters out. With an upgraded WGA I'm sure 450whp would be possible, probably more if you're doing the shearer manifold as well. By the time you get back maybe you'll just want to get the BBK+(or BBK-XL), early results sound promising
Quit teasing me with this whole BBK-XL talk. Is this supposed to be the FP Red rival? Sorry for the mini-thread jack.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:42 AM
EvoM Moderator

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...urbos-etc.html

I doubt I'll be upgrading for a long time, I'm very happy with the car as-is.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...urbos-etc.html

I doubt I'll be upgrading for a long time, I'm very happy with the car as-is.
Chris, I just wanted to let you know that things here in Iraq are going smooth. I still haven't decided on which turbo I want but those are the kinds of decisions that make the days go by fast over here.