Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 9-- BBK Full, Stock Block E-85

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:13 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by house_of_senate
Every other thread you will read will say how robust the bbk is. This was one case and Im actually quite shocked that someone like Mellon would talk pubically like that about a turbo.
is it bad that I'm honest about a parts failure? I figured the community would appreciate it.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
is it bad that I'm honest about a parts failure? I figured the community would appreciate it.
No it is not, I agree with you Chris. Just thought it may have been a bit harsh to stray all other guys away from it with one experience. As I have heard a few bad fp stories too.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:47 AM
Account Disabled

If my customers were to ask me "would you buy a bbk full" I'd say "no, skip it and get a Red or try the new HTA green once I get some data if it's looking good, I think they'll make more power." That's all, I realize one bad customer experience doesn't mean everyone would have the same issues. I'm not hell bent on changing everyones mind. However, I was asked for my opinion and why I had that opinion in a public forum. I gave them an honest answer that included the fact that the part failed twice in rapid succession and warranty was denied citing a ridiculous excuse according to my customer.

keep in mind that I don't sell any parts, so it really doesn't matter to me what brand my customers go with, I just want the best for them.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
If my customers were to ask me "would you buy a bbk full" I'd say "no, skip it and get a Red or try the new HTA green once I get some data if it's looking good, I think they'll make more power." That's all, I realize one bad customer experience doesn't mean everyone would have the same issues. I'm not hell bent on changing everyones mind. However, I was asked for my opinion and why I had that opinion in a public forum. I gave them an honest answer that included the fact that the part failed twice in rapid succession and warranty was denied citing a ridiculous excuse according to my customer.

keep in mind that I don't sell any parts, so it really doesn't matter to me what brand my customers go with, I just want the best for them.
Understood
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:03 AM

nice..
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not sure what the "lasting" comment is about..

we have had 3 known failures with the BBK... one client had an issue twice out of those three... there are over 200 of them out in circulation.

and we recommended he go to another install shop... its pretty obvious when a turbo is oversped etc...

now that being said, you are surely going to see failures from any mechanical device sooner or later...

look at our competitors turbos failing.... we sent a bbk to a client that had two of another brand turbo die in one weekend, and has switched to a BBK without issue...

so anyway, to each his own.

cb
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:50 AM
Account Disabled

is 29psi too much for a BBK Full? because that was peak boost and I verified personally that there were no boost or exhaust leaks so I'm puzzled as to how the failure could be attributed to being "over sped". According to my customer the reason he was denied warranty was "neglectful install"? How do you do a neglectful turbo install anyway? it uses the stock bolts/lines doesn't it? It would be pretty obvious if there were an exhaust, oil or water leak.

of course all mechanical devices will die eventually, but we're talking about two failures within the first month of operation, that's what I meant by "lasting"...lasting longer than a few weeks wouldn't be asking too much from a new turbo.

Hopefully he was at least given a refund for his trouble, I know I'd want one after spending that much time/money/labor twice. However, soon he'll be rocking the new HTA Green, if that turbo also fails quickly then it'll be pretty obvious that something is up with his car.

Last edited by Mellon Racing; Sep 21, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Can't wait to get a BBK!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm... Interesting... I want that BBK full!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks guys! glad people are loving the turbo!

cb