Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Speed Density tuning an EVO8 w/dyno sheets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Speed Density tuning an EVO8 w/dyno sheets

We had a customer, EVO8LTW, bring his EVO8 in for some work. The car was dropped off for a number of things, drop in pistons/rods, cams etc.

The car is equipped with our drop in pistons/rods, BF272 cams, Race FMIC, upper/lower i/c pipe, HKS DLI2 ignition, 3" turbo back, FP Red and more. That is the basics of the build.

The unusual part of the build was the stock ECU being converted to speed density. Rich, the owner, had the car pretty dialed in when it was dropped off and gave me a few pages of notes It made my job pretty darn easy. I wasn't sure what to expect and had been hesitant to even want to get started on it. Truth is, the tune went smoothly and was one of the easier cars I've had to tune.

The car is running straight 93 octane fuel from Shell and was tuned at 31.6 psi of boost with the stock knock tables set up. The power it made is up there with the highest numbers we've seen on a Red on our dyno on just pump gas.

Here is the graph in 3rd gear:

This one is 4th gear and you can see there was some compressor surge down low which put the flat spot in the tq/whp, still excellent power:

[/QUOTE]

At this power level this car can easily run in the 10's just the way it sits with close to 130 MPH trap speeds.

The car is set up for road racing and should be a killer combination for that. Very nicely put together car, nice cage in it although it was a bit cramped for me.

Enjoy your car Rich, it's going to impress you I think
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job david. This was your first SD tune on stock ecu correct?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, first time I tuned SD on the stock ECU. Worked out really good. Rich did a lot of the work for me though, everything was wired already and the car was running pretty darn good.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Those numbers are great for 93, e85 or a race fuel should really make some power on this.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

i have a question. what all do i need to do in order to convert to speed density on the stock ecu. please pm me the details so i begin getting what i need. thanks
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which map sensor did you guys use ? To run speed density you need a bigger map sensor and AIT sensor wired to ecu & you'll need someone to patch you ecu correct me if I'm wrong?

Last edited by Dragking2189; Oct 12, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragking2189
Which map sensor did you guys use ? To run speed density you need a bigger map sensor and AIT sensor wired to ecu & you'll need someone to patch you ecu correct me if I'm wrong?
yes you need a jdm map or omni 4bar and you need a temp sensor wired into the UCIP/intake manifold
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By any chance do you know the horse power gains he made by switching to SD?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wow this is pretty bad ***. great job on your 1st try. this SD stuff is really kicking but. any chance that you have a before with maf and after SD? even if it was an older tune VS this one because i know you said he brought it in like this
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Wow!

Wow!!! I had high hopes, but I didn’t think it would make that sort of power on the stock ECU and 93 octane! Holy cow!

Thanks so much to everyone at Buschur, from Nick Ryan who made the whole ordering and scheduling process painless, to Daniel for wrenching on the car, to David for tuning the car, answering my questions and generally being patient with a really picky, difficult customer. David has been extremely responsive to emails and PMs, he read my “memos,” and he took on a new challenge with the SD tune. I was happy with BR before I even got the dyno results!

I’d also like to thank the amazing folks on the EcuFlash forum who generously share their developments and knowledge of the stock ECU daily with others for little to no compensation. In particular, tephra, mrfred, jcsbanks, and l2r99gst’s posts, threads, and developments have helped me out tremendously with tricking out the stock ECU and converting to SD. A few years ago, I bought an AEM EMS but I sold it before installing it when I started to appreciate what the stock ECU could do. No regrets!

Thanks again to all! Can’t wait to get the car back!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Let me try to answer some of the questions. I'm running an AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor and a GM AIT sensor. You can use a number of different MAP sensors, but you really don't want to peg your MAP sensor on SD because my understanding is that the ECU will not extrapolate out fueling past the max load in the MAP VE table (i.e., you overboost, you lean out badly).

As far as pre- and post-SD numbers, I did not attempt to come up with any. Using DLL, it made 440-460 whp on pump (Dynojet simulation) before this build at 25 psi. That was with smaller cams, stock motor, etc. There's a thread in this forum that I did on that. After I added the SD, I didn't do any WOT fine tuning because I knew that the car was Buschur-bound anyhow and the set-up would change.

I don't know what a set-up like this would typically make on Buschur's dyno with the MAF.

FWIW, my Red has the stock IX compressor cover, not the new 80mm one. Given the surge issues that David saw in 4th, I'll probably swap the cover this winter.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Wow!!! I had high hopes, but I didn’t think it would make that sort of power on the stock ECU and 93 octane! Holy cow!

Thanks so much to everyone at Buschur, from Nick Ryan who made the whole ordering and scheduling process painless, to Daniel for wrenching on the car, to David for tuning the car, answering my questions and generally being patient with a really picky, difficult customer. David has been extremely responsive to emails and PMs, he read my “memos,” and he took on a new challenge with the SD tune. I was happy with BR before I even got the dyno results!

I’d also like to thank the amazing folks on the EcuFlash forum who generously share their developments and knowledge of the stock ECU daily with others for little to no compensation. In particular, tephra, mrfred, jcsbanks, and l2r99gst’s posts, threads, and developments have helped me out tremendously with tricking out the stock ECU and converting to SD. A few years ago, I bought an AEM EMS but I sold it before installing it when I started to appreciate what the stock ECU could do. No regrets!

Thanks again to all! Can’t wait to get the car back!
Rich did you run a 3 port boost solenoid? Rich how does the car feel thru the whole entire rpm band just cruising? I heard of some folks getting some blippy feelings

DB or OP what is the max mileage for drop in pistons? Oh and BTW great job
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DBallz
Rich did you run a 3 port boost solenoid? Rich how does the car feel thru the whole entire rpm band just cruising? I heard of some folks getting some blippy feelings

DB or OP what is the max mileage for drop in pistons? Oh and BTW great job
The car has a Blitz sbc id3 EBC on it. I may try a 3-port after I convert to tephra v7.

I haven't driven the car in its new form yet, but with SD on the old set-up it drove great. I know what you are talking about with the low RPM studder (the thing that l2r99gst first posted about). I can induce that by holding the car at around 2000 rpm, but I don't drive like that usually. The feeling is a slight jerkiness in that narrow RPM range at very low loads, but I would have never noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out to me. Definitely not a reason to avoid SD unless you really like cruising at 2000 rpm.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for answering many of the questions Rich.

The best ever Red on stock ECU on our dyno was 510 at this boost level, that was Project White on E85 with the stock MAF and about 31-32 psi if I remember correctly.

On an AEM EMS a typical build will make about this much power, maybe even a little less on pump gas, so this is excellent power and I need to mention again, I did NOT modify the stock knock tables at all.

The car does have a jerky feeling down low, in the 2500 rpm range, I forgot to mention that to you Rich so I'm glad it was there before. I'll be dead honest, it's the same feeling and same RPM range MANY AEM equipped cars have too, very odd.

I'd say typically a drop in piston build can't be done over 40,000 miles or so. This car was in exceptional condition, probably some of the best cylinder wear I have seen.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome #'s once again from the Buschur Racing!

Congrats Rich, I will be sure to stay out of your way once you bring the car back home. lol

Quick Reply: Speed Density tuning an EVO8 w/dyno sheets