Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Mellon Tuning 2.3 stock turbo cams fmic vs 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mellon Tuning 2.3 stock turbo cams fmic vs 2.0

I had an opportunity to tune a rather rare setup... a built 2.3 with lots of stock goodies. I thought it would be interesting to see how it stacked up to one of the better performing 2.0's I've tuned.

Owner: Scott
Username: MmmM ITZ TastY
2006 EVO9 6-speed MR USDM
walbro fp
wb02
93 octane
23 psi
tbe testpipe
licp
fuel rail
DLL 349 359

Now here's the comparison car: more boost but no licp and 2.0 instead of 2.3 hfc instead of test pipe....regardless of it's shortcomings on mods, it's one of the stronger ones at that mod level.

Owner: Jim
Username: jimdavenport
2006 EVO9 5-speed
25.5 psi
tbe hfc

Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cool looking. a 2.3 in a stock car why???
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
idk maybe, jus had enuf dough to start his platform....

349 awhp isnt that kinda high for jus tbe?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:38 PM
kpr
Evolving Member

Congrads to Scott for getting his car back together. Looks like it makes great power ! This will be a great platform to build on.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:07 PM

Wow Scott not bad HP gain. Hows it feels to be back in your car? I still got the ksports.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:46 AM
Account Disabled

If I said "look at the chart" would that be enough reason?

but seriously, he had a stock motor fail, rebuilt and fail again so he went with a 2.3 and new tuner
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
If I said "look at the chart" would that be enough reason?

but seriously, he had a stock motor fail, rebuilt and fail again so he went with a 2.3 and new tuner
ah ok thats all i needed to hear the story behind it. 2 Failed motors damn thats to aggressive for me to handle i would have scrapped the car and the project. way to much money down the drain but i know how a motor failure in the evo is dealing with that drama now. Question if you know did the motors fail due to tuning. as in when you went to retune and looking at ecu was it junk tuning??

btw the dyno looks great
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by alexso15
Wow Scott not bad HP gain. Hows it feels to be back in your car? I still got the ksports.
ha thanks! But I'm probably going to hold off on that....I'm going to save up some money. Thanks anyways though!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:56 PM

ah ok thats all i needed to hear the story behind it. 2 Failed motors damn thats to aggressive for me to handle i would have scrapped the car and the project. way to much money down the drain but i know how a motor failure in the evo is dealing with that drama now. Question if you know did the motors fail due to tuning. as in when you went to retune and looking at ecu was it junk tuning??

btw the dyno looks great
The motor failed the first time due to me reving too high and too much timing. I took it to the dealership just to see if it could possible be warrantied, which it wasn't. They ended up giving me a really good deal on the labor though for a replacement head and cylinder 2 under the dropped valve so I went ahead and had them fix it (big mistake). 3000 miles later the same cylinder that was replaced started knocking and after taking it to a more trusting and knowledgable mechanic to get it fixed I built it with the BR 2.3L block.
Well new tune, much less timing, no knock, more hp/tq, more conservative rev limiter. It should be smooth sailing from here

Thanks again Mellon!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

After I look at this chart I wonder why my car 03 evo 2.3L, having a hta 3582, greddy intercooler, 3 " tbe only made 350whp on pump, BTW I am running stock cams just experimenting for now, but I didn't think stock cams would hold me back that much.
any ways the torque curve against 2.0 makes 2.3 very appealing. good luck with everything MmmM
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MmmM ITZ TastY
The motor failed the first time due to me reving too high and too much timing. I took it to the dealership just to see if it could possible be warrantied, which it wasn't. They ended up giving me a really good deal on the labor though for a replacement head and cylinder 2 under the dropped valve so I went ahead and had them fix it (big mistake). 3000 miles later the same cylinder that was replaced started knocking and after taking it to a more trusting and knowledgable mechanic to get it fixed I built it with the BR 2.3L block.
Well new tune, much less timing, no knock, more hp/tq, more conservative rev limiter. It should be smooth sailing from here

Thanks again Mellon!
ah ok that i know that sux to have motor failed but why let the dealership fix it. must of cost a arm and leg not to mention surprised you just did not go built block when it failed first time. Any head work done?? if not plans for it soon??
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bevolucion
After I look at this chart I wonder why my car 03 evo 2.3L, having a hta 3582, greddy intercooler, 3 " tbe only made 350whp on pump, BTW I am running stock cams just experimenting for now, but I didn't think stock cams would hold me back that much.
any ways the torque curve against 2.0 makes 2.3 very appealing. good luck with everything MmmM
the lowest I've ever seen a 35R class turbo was 400awhp on 93 octane with stock cams...many will do 450awhp and I had a freak 9 on stock cams do nearly 500awhp.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
the lowest I've ever seen a 35R class turbo was 400awhp on 93 octane with stock cams...many will do 450awhp and I had a freak 9 on stock cams do nearly 500awhp.

WOW!! my car is slow
Now those # on pump?

All I'm going for is close to 500whp on pump
any ways in a few weeks I will be getting a 4" fmic and a set of 272 kelfords. I will make sure I get everything I can but still being save, out of it.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bevolucion
WOW!! my car is slow
Now those # on pump?

All I'm going for is close to 500whp on pump
any ways in a few weeks I will be getting a 4" fmic and a set of 272 kelfords. I will make sure I get everything I can but still being save, out of it.
you upgrading spring and retainers right with those kelford 272 correct?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:27 PM

ah ok that i know that sux to have motor failed but why let the dealership fix it. must of cost a arm and leg not to mention surprised you just did not go built block when it failed first time. Any head work done?? if not plans for it soon??
like I said the dealership gave me a really good deal on the labor and such. Even cheaper than taking it to another mechanic. But yea the head is stock, Ill have it built eventually, but im sitting on it like it is now for a while

Quick Reply: Mellon Tuning 2.3 stock turbo cams fmic vs 2.0