Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

500whp 100% stock appearing turbo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 06:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the BBK Full Vs. the BBK XL Beta on the same 2.3L, with OEM bov, 3rd gear for both

And boost for above:

Old Nov 2, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Brian, nice gains, no loss of spool and 18whp peak? Thats the way to do it, especially since at redline/chop it looks like it picked up well more than 18.

CBRD & GST
Old Nov 2, 2009, 06:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Brian, nice gains, no loss of spool and 18whp peak? Thats the way to do it, especially since at redline/chop it looks like it picked up well more than 18.

CBRD & GST
Indeed, and now with the BOV that can hold the boost the XL can make up top it's even more gains.

....and it's not even the final version.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 06:58 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
man, you guys are creating some great expectations

ok, well, I admit, that's what makes us work harder

cb
Old Nov 2, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

(raises hand to volunteer to be your 2.0 test bed on 93 and e85)
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Ok let me see if I can catch up on some of these questions.

Sorry for the slow reply it was a long day at work. :yawn:

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
He was getting a bit of bov surge with the crushed OEM Bov, which was to be expected. He says with the new synapse the drivability is great once he adjusted it just right.

I'll have to double check on the port.

Yea I was kind of bummed to give up the OEM bov, but of course, it's not my car. He actually did a pretty good job of hiding the huge bov, it's almost as big as a coke can! You can't really see it when opening the hood, you have to poke around a bit.
Originally Posted by scheides
Sorry just went back and read more, but he actually gained 20+whp over an already crushed IX bov? Yea the weather might be a little different but that is just nuts!

Kinda makes me want one, esp if it is actually drivable. I've gone from plastic to forge to greddy rs to the ix and now crushed the ix, and even slightly crushing the ix has made it a bit more like the others, that I got rid of because of the part throttle studder while cruising long uphill stretches of road when you get into about 5psi and wanna drop a few degrees off of throttle to keep boost from continually rising and just maintain speed. Def interested in more feedback on this unit.
The synapse is great IMO, it returned the car to stock like low speed drivability. Super important for me as I daily drive my car and park in a small multi level garage at work. I can tap on the pedal and completely let off without the car bucking and lurching, aside from what's normal from my heavy clutch. The same is true for light boost situations and immediatly releasing the accelerator, no bucking. There uphill "flutter" from backing off the throttle quickly as psi is building is still there but it's more controllable and honestly I haven't tried to even tune that out. I can tell you that if I'd driving normally up hill it doesn't do it if I'm just trying to maintain speed, where the crushed IX would.

But this isn't a Synchronic thread so...

You can find more details about my install here:
http://evoempire.org/index.php/topic...89&#entry96189

Originally Posted by jid2
The APS BOV fixed all those issues for me, and it's a direct swap for an OEM part. The Synapse was my next choice. Why no upper IC pipes, just to remain stock looking? Good power for sure - time for another fuel pump.
I was on the APS route myself till I heard a few reviews from some good sources and though I'd take a chance on it.

As for the upper IC pipes. I thought about doing Nisei (I still have them actually) but I wasn't really happy with the fit up to the throttlebody, didn't end up needing them to make the BOV fit ( must have mini battery though, read the link to my write up above) and figured if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm sure i can get a little better response with them but unless I can make them fit nice then I'm fine without it.

Originally Posted by Mautofied.IS300
Awesome, the exact setup I have been trying to plan. 2.3 with BBK-XL (can't wait until the billet is tested) and stock everything. At least stock on the outside with some nice porting on the inside

I would have thought you might have been able to squeak out a couple more psi, but I assume the pump issue is your limit?

How are those BlueMax 1250's? I want to run pretty much the same setup down the road, and want to make sure I have enough headroom. I don't want to get the 1250s and find out down the road I need the 1450s. Or get the 1250s and run almost 100% idc.

Thanks,

-Will
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
awesome build. awesome results for stock appearing. do these BM 1250s have any idle/ drivability issues? and was the pressure relief modded on the walbro?
Bryan has worked out all my issues with the BlueMax's to date. As for more head room. If I did it again I'd have 1450's. I chose the 1250's to try to maintain drivability but the 1450's seem to be just as tune-able and drivable and now I'm wishing I had a little more head room myself.

That and the AMS fuel return line are the only differences fuel wise between this and the other evos that run out of pump at less power so most likely.

- Bryan
Slight note. Fuel rail is Perrin. I chose Perrin over AMS because I liked that the end flanges were more subtantial. I believe that the AMS and Perrin rails are the same internal bore so they should have the same effect.

The return line is actually a no-name -04 line from the FPR to the stock hardline. I only added that for looks and cause I thought that the stock "hose-hardline-hose-hardline" stock setup was stupid.

There's no need for that many possible extra places to leak, I think the marketing guys at Mitsubishi designed that to sell fuel line and hose clamps.

*Edit* Oh and mileage on the last tank of E85 was ~18.4 MPG, filled up 11.8 gallons at 217 miles, 144 of which were freeway.

Last edited by evodood; Nov 2, 2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by evodood

Slight note. Fuel rail is Perrin. I chose Perrin over AMS because I liked that the end flanges were more subtantial. I believe that the AMS and Perrin rails are the same internal bore so they should have the same effect.

The Perrin that I briefly owned had a 9/16" ID while the AMS has a 1/2" ID.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for getting back to me! 1450's it is.

-Will
Old Nov 2, 2009, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
The Perrin that I briefly owned had a 9/16" ID while the AMS has a 1/2" ID.
Ahhh gooood note. I knew they both "looked" about half an inch.

Originally Posted by Mautofied.IS300
Thanks for getting back to me! 1450's it is.

-Will
no problemo.

Also, many thanks to GST and CBRD not only for my support but that which they are providing the Evo community as a whole. {thumbsup}

^^ There's a joke in there somewhere I'm sure.

Last edited by evodood; Nov 2, 2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

That's it!!! I have made my choice. BBK-B FTW!!!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:36 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome notes on all fronts.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jizzed in mah pants!

This looks awesome and I cannot wait to see billet versions of this turbo.

-Jalal
Old Nov 4, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

This turbo sounds amazing. Great work CBRD, and as Scheides said great notes as well.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

As soon as it hits the market, I will definitely get it. Taking deposits?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:03 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SilvrEvoIX
As soon as it hits the market, I will definitely get it. Taking deposits?
Should be interesting once the final version is out!

Quick Reply: 500whp 100% stock appearing turbo