Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Megan Racing Parts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010 | 01:44 PM
Account Disabled

Megan Racing Parts

exhaust manifold is what Jeff was wanting to accomplish when he called on us to upgrade his rusty old exhaust manifold and O2 housing so his hot exhaust gases could escape through the insides of some upgraded Megan Racing Exhaust components .

Following some of our other great Evo builds along the years, Jeff thought he would follow suit and invest in some of the proven products he has seen used on many of our other recent builds.

Nervous about the rust and corrosion on the manifold and O2 housing from years of sea salted oceanic air from living in the gulf coast pan handle of FL, we prepped the surfaces praying that none of the bolts broke off as they inherently do in high corrosion, high heat applications such as a turbo Evo engine.

To our amazement, the disassembly went off without a hitch and the car was put back together with the new shiny stainless 304 exhaust parts.

Once the car was put back together, Jeff added the addition of a Forge UNOS mbc to the tab as well as the Walbro fuel pump. We quickly installed them and jumped on the dyno.

The car was baselined WITH THE NEW PARTS, including the HKS RS intake, Downpipe, STOCK CAT, Catback, Forge UNOS, Walbro, Exhaust Manifold and O2 housing.

At a scary 12.7 AFR on the baseline, the car put down 317whp/289tq at 23psi. The HKS RS intake makes the car run very lean and is why we always recommend a custom tune with that intake.

Once the car was richened up a bit where it was nice and safe while custom proramming MIVEC, ignition timing advance and fueling, we were able to extract an additional +35whp and +45wtq, bringing the car to 352whp/335tq on 93 octane with a stock cat choking up the exhaust flow.
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

very nice indeed. thread title def caught my attention lol
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Your thread title is not very professional.
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

LMAO Great title, caught my attention.
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Eh thread got my attention for sure
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on catching attention. Thats some funny sh*t.
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Good info, I hear so much bad news about megan but ive yet to see a bad part from them...ive got a full tbe from megan and i love it.
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

I have had a megan mani and o2 for some time now. made over 520whp on it. hasnt cracked yet so no complaints.
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

I have heard that you should stay with your stock exhaust-mani over the megan because the megan will fail? TTP do you trust megan's exhaust-mani? would you run it on your car?
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 03:02 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

exhaust manifold is what Jeff was wanting to accomplish when he called on us to upgrade his rusty old exhaust manifold and O2 housing so his hot exhaust gases could escape through the insides of some upgraded Megan Racing Exhaust components .

Following some of our other great Evo builds along the years, Jeff thought he would follow suit and invest in some of the proven products he has seen used on many of our other recent builds.

Nervous about the rust and corrosion on the manifold and O2 housing from years of sea salted oceanic air from living in the gulf coast pan handle of FL, we prepped the surfaces praying that none of the bolts broke off as they inherently do in high corrosion, high heat applications such as a turbo Evo engine.

To our amazement, the disassembly went off without a hitch and the car was put back together with the new shiny stainless 304 exhaust parts.

Once the car was put back together, Jeff added the addition of a Forge UNOS mbc to the tab as well as the Walbro fuel pump. We quickly installed them and jumped on the dyno.

The car was baselined WITH THE NEW PARTS, including the HKS RS intake, Downpipe, STOCK CAT, Catback, Forge UNOS, Walbro, Exhaust Manifold and O2 housing.

At a scary 12.7 AFR on the baseline, the car put down 317whp/289tq at 23psi. The HKS RS intake makes the car run very lean and is why we always recommend a custom tune with that intake.

Once the car was richened up a bit where it was nice and safe while custom proramming MIVEC, ignition timing advance and fueling, we were able to extract an additional +35whp and +45wtq, bringing the car to 352whp/335tq on 93 octane with a stock cat choking up the exhaust flow.
I thought those megan manifolds tend to crack...
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 03:16 PM

i had an megan manifold for like a year, and it cracked where the welding is. Megan is a cheap china made i think.
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 03:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by t-revzr
I have heard that you should stay with your stock exhaust-mani over the megan because the megan will fail? TTP do you trust megan's exhaust-mani? would you run it on your car?
We have only seen failures where people remove their hood louver and let it rain onto the manifold.

Outside of that, those that wrap the manifold in heat wrap, get it wet and let hot exhaust out the exhaust while the wrap is cold and wet can cause problems.

Typically if you install it and leave it alone it should work great. Megan Racing has a 1 year replacement warranty on all of their products.
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 03:34 PM

even with the hood louver, the manifold still got wet. megan offer 1 year warranty, but mine cracked right after a year. When u look inside the manifold where the 4 tube combine, it is really a poor made. That 's why its only 200$. It sure looks better than the stock manifold thou.
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Okay lets say wot and it cracks can that hurt your motor if that where to happen?
Old Jan 4, 2010 | 04:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by t-revzr
Okay lets say wot and it cracks can that hurt your motor if that where to happen?
Any manifold that cracks from FullRace to AMS to ETS, BR or Megan will not hurt an engine. All a manifold does is act as a conduit for exhaust flow into the turbo.

Quick Reply: Megan Racing Parts