Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Mitsi evo8 2.3 BBK Full

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you saying, we and the Mapper man obviously have to get used with the ECU boost control function.
I suppose this is a table with the entire RPM range columns vs the load with few rows only
onse again tanks for the inputs
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Is this on a tuned setup with an airbox going to an open filter intake with a retune or without a retune?

-Jalal
Tuned for both. I did this test a couple years ago on my personal car, which was stuck at a certain power level with a FPgreen. I put on a open filter and the car magically picked up 20whp peak and even more under the curve.

You can log boost and MAF Hz between the two setups and see the boost free up and MAF Hz go up at the top end espically when you take the restrictive box out of the equation.

The BBK Full is capable of holding 29psi to 7500+ on a 2.0 and about 26-27 on a 2.3

- Bryan
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cosworthbg
As you saying, we and the Mapper man obviously have to get used with the ECU boost control function.
I suppose this is a table with the entire RPM range columns vs the load with few rows only
onse again tanks for the inputs
In my opinion even a MBC can be better than the profec b spec II. Im not trying to trash talk them but its what I think, I have had a few of them on different cars. I think they work OK on lower boost applications, or bigger turbos where they don't spool so fast.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cosworthbg
The intake system is fully stock, only the K&N replacement. We thinking for custom made o2 housing, kind of a non wastegated turbo style with clear nice shape discharge pipe and separated wastegate exit with screamer pipe.
I'm assuming that E85, meth, or alky is not a part of the equation, right?

If you are entertaining a custom-type wastegate-style exhaust manifold, I'd recommend looking into the MAPerformance 38MVS as it'll more than likely save you a penny or two.

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
The BBK Full is capable of holding 29psi to 7500+ on a 2.0 and about 26-27 on a 2.3
Brian, this is nice to know but what do you think a BBK Full will hold on a 2.4L? I'm thinking that a FP Red would be my best choice to make 500whp and as much torque on E85 @ 30PSI.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

interesting, i logged 2000hz @6000rpm on the tomei arms and 2450hz @6000 rpm bbk full, was getting ignition breakup after that though. big difference in the two though. bbk full was done with 50 degree celsuis intake temps too, tomei was done in the middle of the night.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bryan has some good advice, I would also say that if you dont do ecu controlled boost switch to a quality MBC it will probably hold boost better then the greddy unit. Buschur or hallman have great units.

Just a few part swaps and im sure you'd pick up plenty HP.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:11 AM

Some more graphs, might be of interest.
First to say the car is always driven with pure high octane pump gas, we dont have here E85.Methanol yes, but we not use it.

Here is the stock 2.0L engine, only 3" exhaust and K&N replasement filter.
Nicely remapped by TST-Racing - Tony
Weather conditions - summer heat, DIN corrected

Here is just for direct comparison the actual 2.3 BBK Full rebuilded engine dyno graph with some of the other runs overlayed.
The car has water-methanol injection, but when in use the power drops at the top end.May be the nozzle too big.
Weather conditions - winter, around 3 degrees Celsius
At the sea level, DIN correction

Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

sick build
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:51 PM
Account Disabled

I would check the motor timing as well, that is a serious nose dive of power.

btw, I had yet another BBK Full in to tune today on the dyno. Stock airbox. Was targeting 24psi across, would drop to 21 psi at 7k

Took the airbox lid off so just drop in filter exposed and with the exact same tune the boost increased 2-3 psi.

The stock airbox is a serious restriction

- Bryan
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:03 PM

btw, I had yet another BBK Full in to tune today on the dyno. Stock airbox. Was targeting 24psi across, would drop to 21 psi at 7k

Took the airbox lid off so just drop in filter exposed and with the exact same tune the boost increased 2-3 psi.

- Bryan
I can't say enough good things about my experience today, thanks again.
I thought my ears were burning, haha... I'll be fixing that and we'll see you again soon thanks.

To the OP nice build.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuned for both. I did this test a couple years ago on my personal car, which was stuck at a certain power level with a FPgreen. I put on a open filter and the car magically picked up 20whp peak and even more under the curve.

You can log boost and MAF Hz between the two setups and see the boost free up and MAF Hz go up at the top end espically when you take the restrictive box out of the equation.

- Bryan

- Bryan
Great info, Bryan. Thanks.

Do you think a simple MAF adapter plate with an open filter will suffice, or is a full intake be better? I've always wondered if the OEM intake pipe is a restriction as well.

Thanks again!

-Jalal
Old Feb 21, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

- Bryan
thats good info..i didnt know it would be so restrictive
Old Feb 21, 2010, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Surprised with the build that you kept the balance shafts.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Great info, Bryan. Thanks.

Do you think a simple MAF adapter plate with an open filter will suffice, or is a full intake be better? I've always wondered if the OEM intake pipe is a restriction as well.

Thanks again!

-Jalal
Speed Element sells a nice cone filter that bolts straight to the MAF with no adapter needed. Nice thing about that one is that it fits inside a hacked OEM box just perfect for the stealth factor.

In all honesty I haven't seen very big gains replacing the stock induction tube on these types of turbos. Here in Kalifornia stealth is a big thing so most guys stick with the stock induction tube.

- Bryan
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:49 PM

The information given here will be of great help, thank you.

The timing of the motor is double checked, the TDC finded with digital indicator and degree wheel.
The cams are set according to GSC spec of full lift degrees.

Centerline @ Peak lift Intake 107ATDC , Exhaust 113 BTDC

Meanwhile the GM 3 port BCS is on the way.

Quick Reply: Mitsi evo8 2.3 BBK Full