Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Quick Overlay of comparing BBK Full and HTA Green

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracka
Just figured I'd give you a quick opinion on the above differences you mentioned.
1. The Perrin intercooler has proven to be very effective. I personally have one on my car and have done extensive logging with a GM AIT sensor in my intake manifold and have been nothing but happy with the results its shown on my car. With the size of turbos in this comparison I'm going to call this a draw. Scheides (BR Race) and I did some side-by-side pulls and comparsions a while back before I moved to TX and our MAT temps where within a few degrees of one another. Anyway, lets not let this turn into another X vs. Y bashing thread; our testing wasn't scientific, no I don't have the data anymore, I just remember they were so similar run after run we shrugged it off and went to go drink some beers.
2. The ported stock exhaust manifold definitely gets the nod in this one.
3. The eBay/Megan/whatever you want to call it o2 housing has been proven to show good results. I'm going to call this a draw.
4. I'm also going to call the upper IC pipes a draw; the differences are probably minor and I can't seem them showing any noticeable real-world difference one way or the other.

Again, like everything else, this is just one man's 2-cents. Testing one car vs. another is never going to be perfect, but I still appreciate Scheides taking the time to show us a basic comparison of these two turbos.
Like i said as well i appreciate the overlay but find it misleading as my personal opinion.. I do A LOT OF TESTING and it is my professional opinion that NONE OF THOSE are a draw for sure.. Especially the BR ported vs. Megan.. 2 LAZY spoolers, the megan and the Magnus vs stock ported...

Mike
Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Do we know if 1 car is 100 cranking compression and the other 1 160?? testing on 2 cars really doesnt show much of anything.. again my honest opinion.. not hating its my opinion.. does anyone recall 9sec9 turbo tesing with 1 graph and the other a pencil sketch from 2 different cars, turbos and dynos?? LOL

Mike
Old Apr 2, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Like i said as well i appreciate the overlay but find it misleading as my personal opinion.. I do A LOT OF TESTING and it is my professional opinion that NONE OF THOSE are a draw for sure.. Especially the BR ported vs. Megan.. 2 LAZY spoolers, the megan and the Magnus vs stock ported...

Mike
I can definitely appreciate your opinion and agree with you that the Megan exhaust manifold and Magnus intake manifold are really killing the HTAGreen's spool.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha funny I found this thread, thats my car. If someone sends me a magnus cast I'll throw it on my car to make it a more even test. Maybe even run some 92 octane.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Lastly these cars were both dyno'd months apart.. Jan and pretty much April. Both uncorrected.. So lets see an SAE overlay also.. It may have been 5 degrees in January and 60 march 31st..

Mike
If you look at my thread you can see I posted the STD corrected #'s incase someone wanted to see them. STD was 450 and uncorrected was 451.

STD corrected

Last edited by boostedwrx; Apr 2, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you whacked the magnus on the bbk, wouldn't they then spool about the same but the bbk in turn make more up top?
In the end though, they do seem to be fairly similar, the green SHOULD make more when pushed but that hasn't been proven yet.
BBK still looks stock
Old Apr 2, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Okay so here is the skinny on these cars.

As Mike pointed out they are not anywhere close to apples to apples. The BBK took alot more to get to the same point and had some mods that really count (TiTek vs Megan) both as far as spool and as far as total power achieved.

Earlier in the year we seemed to have MAP sensor issues one after the other so that is the reason there is no boost plot for the BBK. I can tell it was over 29psi, 29.3 as I recall. The Car equipped with the 73HTA Green had some misfire issues and was not being tuned to the same level. We ran it to 30psi but only picked up torque because that car didnt seem to like timing out the top. Dropping it back to 27 made best power and only sacrificed a little torque.

Spool is completely relative to the cams and intake feeding off of each other. This car on a stock intake would spool the same with the S2s, as it is we are seeing just a 350-400 rpm difference. Because the owner specifically told me he wanted to make HIGH speed pulls I didnt tune it as aggressive up top (timing was 12-13*) vs the 14-15* the BBK was setup with and I left it a little richer than the BBK for the same reason.

Comparing these is silly unless it is the SAME CAR and/or exact same mods. In my opinion, the HTA Green will stomp the BBK at the same boost if tuned to the exact same level. Brett was happy with where the 73HTA Green was, so we didnt push it any further than we already had. There is definitely more in it had that been in the cards. I never tune anything less than 101% unless instructed to do so by the owner or I am taking into account how the car is being used.

I realise this is just my word on the boost but here are the comparo's of the BBK at less boost to the 73HTA Green. Run 16 was 28.5psi/29 (with the same timing as the 73HTA Green) and run 15 was 26.8/27 with the same timing as the 73HTA Green.

I dont have logs for either car other than the dyno and my normally pretty flawless memory. I always remember the ones I push and get surprised by.

aaron

Last edited by JohnBradley; Apr 2, 2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome Aaron thanks for the info and dyno overlay. Interesting to see our car's in SAE correction
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought it was obvious that the HTA green was a superior turbo to the BBK. I'm not saying the BBK is bad, but it's not equal to the HTA green. Making a comparison with two different cars, tuned at different times...I think we know that's not accurate. Doing that, we can have 50 different results.

I think Aaron's comments are solid proof for the HTA. The HTA green had roughly 2 degrees less timing (usually about 20whp), 2 psi less boost (usually good for 20 whp) and a few inferior parts. Yet, the first posts shows comparable results. I think that suggests the HTA green is good for ~50whp over the BBK, all else being equal. I think that's about right in line in what the compressors on each turbo are capable of.

Also, I would imagine the HTA green to take an even bigger lead at higher boost levels on E85.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Apr 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Okay so here is the skinny on these cars.

As Mike pointed out they are not anywhere close to apples to apples. The BBK took alot more to get to the same point and had some mods that really count (TiTek vs Megan) both as far as spool and as far as total power achieved.

Earlier in the year we seemed to have MAP sensor issues one after the other so that is the reason there is no boost plot for the BBK. I can tell it was over 29psi, 29.3 as I recall. The Car equipped with the 73HTA Green had some misfire issues and was not being tuned to the same level. We ran it to 30psi but only picked up torque because that car didnt seem to like timing out the top. Dropping it back to 27 made best power and only sacrificed a little torque.

Spool is completely relative to the cams and intake feeding off of each other. This car on a stock intake would spool the same with the S2s, as it is we are seeing just a 350-400 rpm difference. Because the owner specifically told me he wanted to make HIGH speed pulls I didnt tune it as aggressive up top (timing was 12-13*) vs the 14-15* the BBK was setup with and I left it a little richer than the BBK for the same reason.

Comparing these is silly unless it is the SAME CAR and/or exact same mods. In my opinion, the HTA Green will stomp the BBK at the same boost if tuned to the exact same level. Brett was happy with where the 73HTA Green was, so we didnt push it any further than we already had. There is definitely more in it had that been in the cards. I never tune anything less than 101% unless instructed to do so by the owner or I am taking into account how the car is being used.

I realise this is just my word on the boost but here are the comparo's of the BBK at less boost to the 73HTA Green. Run 16 was 28.5psi/29 (with the same timing as the 73HTA Green) and run 15 was 26.8/27 with the same timing as the 73HTA Green.

I dont have logs for either car other than the dyno and my normally pretty flawless memory. I always remember the ones I push and get surprised by.

aaron
Thank you Aaron for clearing things up here.. I take your word on just about anything because you have never shown to be less than truthful on any account.. So when you say boost was what it was Id say your word is enough..

So there we have it.. From the man who did the tuning and setup on BOTH CARS with a true overlay.. Thanks Man!!!

Mike
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Just fyi I ordered those cams from u mike!
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BrettMR
Just fyi I ordered those cams from u mike!
Cool.. Thanks!! The s2 have proven to be an EXCELLENT cam choice.. The Stock frame turbos have come so far that running an s1 is just too mild now.. You cant go wrong with s2's!!!

Mike
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

i'm fine with the s1's for now...but who knows maybe once i get my ported bbk full from you mike i might just change my mind
Old Apr 3, 2010, 02:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yea when looking at the HTA Green on paper it should outperform the BBK so this backs it up. Evo owners sure are lucky to have such a great selection of turbo's to pick from thats for sure!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

a fairer comparison to me would be the next offering from CBRD and the HTA green. Same mods on the same car.

Quick Reply: Quick Overlay of comparing BBK Full and HTA Green