Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Stockish Evo IX E85 Tune

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stockish Evo IX E85 Tune

So I finally got around to getting my stockish street car converted over to E85 and tuned @ Bryan of GST.

First off, mods are:
Greddy Ti-C TBE w Mil-Spec 100 cell cat and additional Magnaflow muffler
ETS LICP
Works Drop-In Panel Air Filter
FIC 1100cc Bosch Injectors
Walbro 255 lph pump
Denso IKH24 Plugs (one step colder)
GM 3-Port BCS
Tephra V7 software

When the car was bone stock, it dyno'ed on Speed Elements' Dyno Dynamics dyno to the tune of 236hp.

After all the parts were installed, the tune was a mess. Here's the before and after on 91 octane:

And here is the E85 tune in comparison to the 91 octane tune:

I asked Bryan to tune a bit conservatively as I will be doing trackdays occasionally and since it is my daily driver. Even so, I was very pleased with the final results and I've got a margin of safety.

Bryan was an absolute professional and is a magician on the dyno. The rest of the GST guys that I met were also a class act and amongst the most hardcore of gearheads that I've run into, on or off track

My ultimate power goal is a modest 400whp/tq so I've got just a little bit more to go to get there. I anticipate a BBK full with perhaps a larger FMIC will easily get me there. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'm doing a similar setup. I'm going BBK Full as well as the normal supporting mods. Get a nice ported exhaust mani, O2 housing, and definitely a larger IC and you'll be easily hitting over 400 on E85. It looks like you have most of the basics. I also plan on tracking a few times a year so I wanted a nice and reliable setup. I know there are pump gas BBK cars in the 360 whp range on GSTs dyno, so even if you go pump gas from time to time you'll make great power.

Great numbers for a stockish setup!

Last edited by Boostd4; Apr 19, 2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

great numbers on the evo9, had my evo tuned last sat also by Bryan...
I suggest you get the OMG open air filter, test pipe if you don't care about the smell and some kelford cams.

Or just upgrade to BBK-Full for close to 400whp
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:17 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
That's great!

Sure wish Bryan would return emails.

Hey, you daily on E85? Man isn't it a hassle for you in the Bay Area? I've been skipping out on it for the time being.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:11 AM

I should add my goal for this car is to be as stock appearing as possible. I may do the stealth airbox mod for an intake. I HAD a test pipe but opted for the MilSpec cat to be a bit more civilized and quiet. I've heard great things bout the kelford cams, might have to look into that one...is any power down low lost that is noticeable?

I was planning to do the BBK full with a ported exhaust mani and o2 housing and after that consider cams and intercooler. Anyone making 400+hp on the stock FMIC w e85??

golgo13, keep trying Bryan @ his GST email...its worth the hassle, trust me. I do plan to daily on e85...the closest station is ~10 minutes away. I understand your point about it being a hassle and is one of the reasons I tuned dual map...if I get lazy I can just throw plain 'ol 91 into it and be ok. The V7 runs great. One added advantage is that the car seems to run much smoother on e85.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:36 AM
EvoM Community Team

How are you swapping maps?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
How are you swapping maps?
Most likely with the alternate map (& map switching) using Tephra V5/7.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:44 PM
EvoM Community Team

Is there a way to do it via a toggle switch in the glove box? Would be easier for day to day driving.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nocturnal005
Anyone making 400+hp on the stock FMIC w e85??
im sure there is, but i wouldnt recommend it...especially if youre planning on tracking it. get an fmic, it'll be a more reliable 400+hp and an aftermarket fmic wont heatsoak as much

Originally Posted by golgo13
Is there a way to do it via a toggle switch in the glove box? Would be easier for day to day driving.
yes there is a way to do it with a switch
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
You've got similar mods to my Evo, and I'm at about 380 whp on a GST calibration. Main difference appears to the airbox setup and O2 housing. Looks like the boost is a bit tame after about 5000 rpm. If you're on the stock box, the motor is probably gasping for air. If you are going to keep the stock airbox, at least make a cutout in right side of the cover to get some more air. There are instances of the stock snorkel acutally collapsing due to the vacuum effect at high airflow. The stealth cone air filter mod is good too. Or you could go with a cone filter and have a custom cold air box made (or make one from cardboard like I did).

All you need is a BBK, O2 housing, ported exhaust manifold and some type of airbox mod to surpass 400 whp on GST's dyno. The FMIC is not needed.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice stuff, 350whp on that dyno is very strong
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:38 PM

mrFred,

I agree with doing the airbox mods...trying to figure out a way to do things cleanly and stealthily. I wasn't aware that the restriction was severe enough to cause the snorkel to collapse! I guess I will be looking into the mods sooner than later. One of the modifications that interested me was putting a small K&N panel filter on the side of the airbox. I've seen it siliconed in but wanted to do something cleaner than that.

When you say boost looks a little tame up top, how much boost are you running in comparison?

Too bad I didn't give you more advance notice about the tune session...I would have loved to compare the different FIC 1100 mounting styles (long nose vs short) in this session!

golgo13,

I'm using the gas pedal to switch maps....turn ignition on, hold gas pedal down for three seconds, then the map is switched. On the Tephra v7 the engine CEL flashes either quickly or slowly depending on which map you just switched to. Pretty convenient and there are no tell-tale switches etc, etc. So far though I haven't found a desire to switch back to 91
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I think that the collapse occurred on a 450-500 whp car, but its still a good indicator of how much restriction there would be even at 400 whp. An additional filter on the side of the airbox would help. The example I saw posted on EvoM looked pretty good (homemade bracket with bolts going through the airbox to secure the filter). With my current setup (air filter, all boost leaks fixed, GM 3-port, helper spring on WG flapper arm) I can hold about 21.5-22 psi at 7000 rpm. I know others can do the same or more with a better breathing exhaust (no cat, lots of porting on the EM and HS).

Last edited by mrfred; Apr 26, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:32 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by nocturnal005
golgo13,

I'm using the gas pedal to switch maps....turn ignition on, hold gas pedal down for three seconds, then the map is switched. On the Tephra v7 the engine CEL flashes either quickly or slowly depending on which map you just switched to. Pretty convenient and there are no tell-tale switches etc, etc. So far though I haven't found a desire to switch back to 91
Old May 2, 2010, 03:20 PM

nice gains!

Quick Reply: Stockish Evo IX E85 Tune