Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Mustang VS Dynojet Numbers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BulletProof
Why are my number higher on a dynojet then? Its easier for the car to turn the rollers of the dynojet than the mustang. I know the mustang can load my car more, resulting in quicker spool or possibly more boost, but it still read lower...
You say that it is easier to turn the rollers on the dynojet but what makes you think that? It is obvious by the numbers that there is more load on the engine since it produced more torque. Did you dyno the car in the same gear on both dynos? I know 4th gear on an AWD dynojet on anything less than 700hp is a LONG dyno pull. That engine is loaded up like crazy.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mustang Dyno * 1.15 = Dynojet.

thats what you need to know.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie

If its not 13-15% different from a DJ its not what its supposed to read, per Mustang at SEMA this year when I specifically asked them about TTPs dyno.

I am not going to link to the dyno correction thread (though it is a good read), but correction factors are only applicable in the following-

Dynojets that will always read the same but might be on different sides of the planet or country.

Mustangs if they read the same (the rest the same) and you are trying to compare 2 similarly equipped cars (either dyno).

I cannot tell my car to run corrected numbers at the track just because its 80-90* out and not 65*. It runs what it makes uncorrected and anyone that clings to corrected numbers because it was hot out or excessively cold has a small dick and needs to get over it. It will only be as fast as it will be at a given level and if its not enough turn it up or take it to a better (read cooler and denser air) track.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Apr 27, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I

I cannot tell my car to run corrected numbers at the track just because its 80-90* out and not 65*. It runs what it makes uncorrected and anyone that clings to corrected numbers because it was hot out or excessively cold has a small dick and needs to get over it. It will only be as fast as it will be at a given level and if its not enough turn it up or take it to a better (read cooler and denser air) track.
someone needs t tell me how to quote this in my sig!!! agree 100%

jeff
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed Jeff, JB FTW!

Mikey
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:54 PM
Former Sponsor

If its not 13-15% different from a DJ its not what its supposed to read, per Mustang at SEMA this year when I specifically asked them about TTPs dyno.

I am not going to link to the dyno correction thread (though it is a good read), but correction factors are only applicable in the following-

Dynojets that will always read the same but might be on different sides of the planet or country.

Mustangs if they read the same (the rest the same) and you are trying to compare 2 similarly equipped cars (either dyno).

Holy smokes!!!.... Another cigar!!!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aint this the truth!
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:53 PM

The whole purpose of corrected numbers is to create consistancy between pulls from one too the next and from day to day, high temp vs low temps and so on. You may not realise this since you probably don't tune alot of cars like I do, but lets say you start tuning a car at 10:00AM its 70deg outside, 11:30 comes around and now its 90deg, without correction your numbers will be very different with nothing changed on the tune. So if your tuning a car and trying to see difference in fueling and timing and cam angle and your ambeint temps change even 2-3 degrees the power numbers you are using to base your next change on could be totaly useless. ESPESCIALLY in shops that arn't well ventalated. Just the heat the engine ouputs can easily raise the ambient temps in a shop close to the vehicle several degress in a very short few pulls. Even with fans in a poorly ventalated space you just endup recirculating heated air. So there is a reason for corrected numbers. Without corrections I've seen differences of 30HP on a low boost car, and higher than that on a high boost car. With corrections I get consistancies of 1-2HP from pull to pull even from different times of the day on different days.. Your weather station has to be properly located in an area that will sample atmosphere that most closely resembles what the car is injesting. If its on a wall 40ft away or under a desk or sitting on top of your computer monitor its not going to be as acurate. Anyways, just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
The original poster has these numbers in his signature...

Most dynos for turbo cars do not use weather correction on turbo cars so when you are talking about "equal correction factors" it makes no sense.
I've done several back to back tests on multiple of both types of dynos.. Equal correction factors as in both 1.0
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:03 PM

Dyno's are excellent for tuning, but for quoting numbers...dodgey...
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by vint21
Dyno's are excellent for tuning, but for quoting numbers...dodgey...
I agree, but even for tuning they have to be fully understood and used properly to make the best use of them.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"SAE requires that the corrections be less than ± 7%"

Quoted from http://www.land-and-sea.com/dyno-tec...horsepower.htm . Also a bunch talk about CFs.

I tried finding the actual printout of SAE J1349 standards, but failed. The SAE website actually wanted to charge me for the pdf of the standards
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL, another great quote from the link above.

"There are, and always will be, unscrupulous competitors who advertise inflated horsepower gains by manipulating the correction factors, however they are eventually exposed at the races where it counts to the customer."

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Apr 28, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:47 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Bugermass
The whole purpose of corrected numbers is to create consistancy between pulls from one too the next and from day to day, high temp vs low temps and so on. You may not realise this since you probably don't tune alot of cars like I do, but lets say you start tuning a car at 10:00AM its 70deg outside, 11:30 comes around and now its 90deg, without correction your numbers will be very different with nothing changed on the tune. So if your tuning a car and trying to see difference in fueling and timing and cam angle and your ambeint temps change even 2-3 degrees the power numbers you are using to base your next change on could be totaly useless. ESPESCIALLY in shops that arn't well ventalated. Just the heat the engine ouputs can easily raise the ambient temps in a shop close to the vehicle several degress in a very short few pulls. Even with fans in a poorly ventalated space you just endup recirculating heated air. So there is a reason for corrected numbers. Without corrections I've seen differences of 30HP on a low boost car, and higher than that on a high boost car. With corrections I get consistancies of 1-2HP from pull to pull even from different times of the day on different days.. Your weather station has to be properly located in an area that will sample atmosphere that most closely resembles what the car is injesting. If its on a wall 40ft away or under a desk or sitting on top of your computer monitor its not going to be as acurate. Anyways, just my 2 cents.
Sure, if you are tuning for numbers only that makes sense. The great thing is good tuners tune the car, not the numbers. A good tuner can interpolate the actual differences in temp the ECU will see in different conditions and tune accordingly. The dyno weather station has *no* bearing on this *what-so-ever*

I still like Aarons idea of a 75* (or whatever "correct" temp the correction factor thinks it should really be) bubble surrounding our cars every day, every hour. Hey but at least the printed numbers are the same right?

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Apr 28, 2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

I have argued this locally for years. I am at a mile high and everyone up here is dead set on using correction factors. The argument was that uncorrected numbers are only good to find, know and don't cross the breaking point of the engine. Almost every person uses a 20% CF up here and they get unreal numbers, one STI with stock turbo had like 520tq. Sure the torque will be high but not that high on a stock bottom end.

I stated that when you go to the track you are using uncorrected numbers not corrected and fake numbers. Then they argued that you could compare the numbers better with the CF on. But if you have 400 uncorrected and the next person beats you, it doesn't matter if you claim 480 or 400, you still lost.

Like many have said, a dyno is a method of tuning nothing more, nothing less. It shows you how much you started with and how much you GAINED. Dyno numbers are for Supras and srt4s, not Evos. We brag at the strip and they brag about a number and if only they had traction...

Quick Reply: Mustang VS Dynojet Numbers