Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2004 stock turbo, E85, road dyno at 5500'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 stock turbo, E85, road dyno at 5500'

I know there's a bunch of threads about stock turbo E85 cars, but there aren't that many at high altitude. The following data is at approximately 5500', in Albuquerque NM.

Power mods:

Perrin Intake
OEM MR DV (not-crushed)
Helix camshafts
Helix V2 cam gears (-2,-1)
Ported, coated OE exhaust manifold
Coated Megan o2 housing
3" downpipe, 3" test pipe, 3" catback
Walbro 255 fuel pump
FIC 1050 injectors
TephraMod 94170715

A couple of things to note.

1) This is not a dyno queen or drag car. It's a dedicated track and autocross car. I take it to 20+ events a season. Consequently, it's tuned to last, not get the absolute highest torque/power numbers.

2) Boost in the logs is correct, but not adjusted for altitude. 25 psi in the logs would read 27.3 psi on a boost guage.

3) I have to run significantly less timing in the midrange than most other folks seem to have to. More timing quickly and dramatically produces knock there. Up top, it is advanced until the plot produces no more power.

4) Two plots are provided using Brad Barnhill's new Virtual Dyno software: one uncorrected and one using the standard SAE correction factors. I used real data from the weather station _at_ the site I use for doing pulls. Because of the altitude, this correction is huge. Accordingly, these charts are very close to what my car produced on a dynojet back in the spring.

Questions are welcome. If folks want, I can also provide the full Evo 8 rom image. You read that right, you can have the whole tune if you want it.

d

EDIT: corrected graph updated.

EDIT2: The car trapped 107 at Albuquerque Dragway (5295') at 75 degrees.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 stock turbo, E85, road dyno at 5500'-e85-uncorrected.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
E85.zip (3.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by donour; Sep 18, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for that alt. it isnt bad at all, im sure its a blast on the roadcourse, good luck with the new found power i look forward to a E85 set up myself
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Where did you do this log? Thats pretty wavy for 30 smoothing.

So 316whp without correction? Pretty mild even for e85 and a track car. I'd put a few degree's in it, if your getting knock in places your timing might be off in other parts of the map.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Where did you do this log? Thats pretty wavy for 30 smoothing.
On a very flat private road, at/near the Albuquerque airport. I thought it was wavy too, some of that might be the tach signal to the ecu. It's very, very wavy when unfiltered.

EDIT: I think some of that is from the version of virtual dyno (1.04) That waviness goes away even at smoothing=3 on newer version. As always, caveat emptor. Plot the log file with your favorite power plot tool.

So 316whp without correction? Pretty mild even for e85 and a track car.
The altitude is a killer. Remember this is a 9.8cm^2 turbo. It's weak sauce up top.

I'd put a few degree's in it, if your getting knock in places your timing might be off in other parts of the map.
Where? Anywhere between 4000 and 5500, adding timing results in knock and more timing getting pulled than was added. Above 6000, more timing is probably past MBT. Power goes down...

d

Last edited by donour; Sep 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Donour glad to see some data results from you going SM.
Having lived/raced in the same area your numbers actually seem pretty good. What are you using to control boost?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Load the logs into the new VD 1.0.6 and post up the charts.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

What you targeting for fueling?

You can run a decent more timing at altitude then people can at sea level. You might need to dumb down your knock filters because you might not be getting knock, I have no experience with those cams though so can't say too much.

8 turbo does suck but I think you could still get 325-335 pretty conservatively. E85 is pretty safe too. Have you checked its actual content cause some places e85 is really more like e75 or less even in the summer.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Load the logs into the new VD 1.0.6 and post up the charts.
like this?
Attached Thumbnails 2004 stock turbo, E85, road dyno at 5500'-e85-corrected.jpg  
Old Sep 8, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
What you targeting for fueling?
High 11s under full load. As you can see it's in the 11.6-11.8 range.

You can run a decent more timing at altitude then people can at sea level. You might need to dumb down your knock filters because you might not be getting knock,
Already done that as much as I feel comfortable. Around peak load, adding more timing quickly produces knocksum and removing reduces knock sum. It's really hard to listen with detonation cans at full load on the road.

8 turbo does suck but I think you could still get 325-335 pretty conservatively. E85 is pretty safe too. Have you checked its actual content cause some places e85 is really more like e75 or less even in the summer.
Other users from my source report 81-82 % ethanol content based on the GM sensor.

d
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

How is baro 24? I dont know of any baro gauges that even go that low.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

How is baro 24? I dont know of any baro gauges that even go that low.
The weather station values are corrected for elevation. I took the corrected value from the airport nearby -- something like 29.50 -- and applied an aviation-type correction.

There's a worksheet here:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/barcorrecthcalc.html

The actual electronic baro reading would have been something like 24.01. The one they send to the national weather service is either a) a relative reading or b) corrected to sea level. At my house the absolute pressure is about 12.2 psi. That's where the HUGE correction comes from.

As noted, the boost gauge is the same because it reads relative pressure.

d

EDIT: here's an example of a TV weather station on the other side of town. It posts RAW weather readings. http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...?ID=KNMALBUQ90

Last edited by donour; Sep 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 04:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by donour
The weather station values are corrected for elevation. I took the corrected value from the airport nearby -- something like 29.50 -- and applied an aviation-type correction.

There's a worksheet here:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/barcorrecthcalc.html

The actual electronic baro reading would have been something like 24.01. The one they send to the national weather service is either a) a relative reading or b) corrected to sea level. At my house the absolute pressure is about 12.2 psi. That's where the HUGE correction comes from.

As noted, the boost gauge is the same because it reads relative pressure.

d

EDIT: here's an example of a TV weather station on the other side of town. It posts RAW weather readings. http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...?ID=KNMALBUQ90
Well I think using the RAW baro reading of 29.50 wopuld be more accurate.

But really I (& most others) are against using weather/elevation correction. Your cars is NOT making 400 HP where you live/drive. Its making the UNCORRECTED number. Inflating it doesn't mean your car is making more ACTUAL power.

Sorry if this comes off wrong. Its just me and corrected numbers dont get along
Old Sep 8, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Well I think using the RAW baro reading of 29.50 wopuld be more accurate.
No. That's bogus. 29.50 is a made up number. 24.01 is the actual atmospheric pressure. There's no point is using a "corrected" baro reading to do a "correction".

Really, the un-corrected value is the only one that matters. That's why I posted it first. The only reason I presented a corrected one is because most dynojet plots you see up there (or in colorado, or utah, or whataver-mountain-country) are corrected. As per my first post the corrected one is very close to what an actual dynojet read on my car a few months ago. The very fact that is it "corrected" means that it is only a multiple of power delivered.

To me, it doesn't matter one way or the other. I brag about lap times, not dyno sheets

cheers

d
Old Sep 8, 2010, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
what an interesting looking graph lol.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
what an interesting looking graph lol.
I guess...

There are, in fact interesting features in it. That's why I posted it. It's the peak numbers that a meaningless, but that's what folks seem to all caught up with.

Nobody seems to notice the spool. It actually spools pretty fast for this altitude. On the stock car, I wasn't getting 20 lbs of boost until like 4900 RPM in third!

d

Quick Reply: 2004 stock turbo, E85, road dyno at 5500'