Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Dyno results @ AWD Motorsports Video and Chart Inside!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trust me I know what its like for your car to be down, and to the money part, thats exactly why I would have waited so you dont pay for a tune and labor twice. As far as the cams go, but you getting other parts that will take longer to get. What ported tb/Im you gonna get?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
Trust me I know what its like for your car to be down, and to the money part, thats exactly why I would have waited so you dont pay for a tune and labor twice. As far as the cams go, but you getting other parts that will take longer to get. What ported tb/Im you gonna get?
I plan on doing Buschur parts havent made my mind up on the cams yet, MIke said GSC S2's and a friend of mine is running Cosworth M3's and is making good power with them, not sure on the cams...
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gsc s2's!

spool looks liked my 35r on stock block. good power tho!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Good power, but holy lag. Should have got an HTA 84mm Red with that kind of spool.

That unless of course the spool is so late because the run started at 3k?

-Jalal
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:39 PM

A+ to the crew at AWD
Old Sep 16, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nikkadanny
gsc s2's!

spool looks liked my 35r on stock block. good power tho!
Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Good power, but holy lag. Should have got an HTA 84mm Red with that kind of spool.

That unless of course the spool is so late because the run started at 3k?

-Jalal

Thanks guys

Yeah I'm going to be doing a few things to clean it up though and make it hit sooner, i didnt think I was going to wind up building the bottom end so I had the Green before the decision to build came into play, if anything I am going to ship it out and go black and totally skip the red.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

well put together 06MRV8killer! nice numbers!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The peak numbers are good for stock cams. I have seen spool losses and improvements with cam changes. On most setups stock cams spool the fastest. The green at 27psi and up should net about 300tq at 37-3800. This setup is hitting late for sure. Installing a black will make problem much worse. My guess is the tubular exhaust manifold is most of the the problem. Hard to tell on paper where the other restrictions are.

turbos dont make horsepower. good setups do. always best to have your setup flying on a small turbo before adding the big turbo. large turbos struggle more than small turbos in restrictive setups.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fqjdmct9a
well put together 06MRV8killer! nice numbers!
Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
The peak numbers are good for stock cams. I have seen spool losses and improvements with cam changes. On most setups stock cams spool the fastest. The green at 27psi and up should net about 300tq at 37-3800. This setup is hitting late for sure. Installing a black will make problem much worse. My guess is the tubular exhaust manifold is most of the the problem. Hard to tell on paper where the other restrictions are.

turbos dont make horsepower. good setups do. always best to have your setup flying on a small turbo before adding the big turbo. large turbos struggle more than small turbos in restrictive setups.
Yeah I thought about the lag being worse actually right after I posted that.

So you think that the tubular manifold is hurting me bad right now?

Electricevoix is a good friend of mine and we have basically the same set up and posted his dyno results with Akuma Motorsports w graphs. He has Cosworth M3's and a tubular manifold and was tuned on pump.

I have the tubular manifold, NO cams, but running E85

His dyno results showed that power came on much sooner than mine so it would lead me to believe that the cams is the issue?

Also Mike said I was getting soft preload which could be an issue was well.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
there was a couple of posts years ago from two guys who replaced their tubular manifold and went back to factory. both dyno graphs showed they gained 60tq around 4000rpm. both were rave reviews. Then there is the constant barrage of shops claiming 15 to 20hp gains with minimal spool looses. hard to tell who is telling the truth. I have personnal tried tubulars and think they have no business on street cars if there is a cast manifold available. tubulars expell a ton of heat into engine bay. I remember years ago I met a guy who had a temp probe in engine compartmant. He measured 175 temps with cast manifold. and 325 with a tubular. during summer months in NJ. Image the turbo has to ingest 10 cubic feet of air every second at 400whp. that means sucking the engine compartment dry twice every second. makes CAI very important.

soft preload will definitely spool slower. that means you are loosing twin scroll effect early during spool.

I have installed hks280 cams on a 35r setup. we were concerned about spool differences. the 280 cams spooled the turbo 750 rpm slower over stock cams. but as stated before i have seen the opposite happen as well. its possible to pick up a couple hundred rpm from the right cams.

e85 spools a few hundred rpm faster than gas on this size turbo.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
there was a couple of posts years ago from two guys who replaced their tubular manifold and went back to factory. both dyno graphs showed they gained 60tq around 4000rpm. both were rave reviews. Then there is the constant barrage of shops claiming 15 to 20hp gains with minimal spool looses. hard to tell who is telling the truth. I have personnal tried tubulars and think they have no business on street cars if there is a cast manifold available. tubulars expell a ton of heat into engine bay. I remember years ago I met a guy who had a temp probe in engine compartmant. He measured 175 temps with cast manifold. and 325 with a tubular. during summer months in NJ. Image the turbo has to ingest 10 cubic feet of air every second at 400whp. that means sucking the engine compartment dry twice every second. makes CAI very important.

soft preload will definitely spool slower. that means you are loosing twin scroll effect early during spool.

I have installed hks280 cams on a 35r setup. we were concerned about spool differences. the 280 cams spooled the turbo 750 rpm slower over stock cams. but as stated before i have seen the opposite happen as well. its possible to pick up a couple hundred rpm from the right cams.

e85 spools a few hundred rpm faster than gas on this size turbo.
Thanks for the info, yeah Mike disliked the amount of heat the manifold is putting off and recommended that I put the ported stocker back on the car so I am going to do it and a few other things and retune and there will certainly be a good comparison based off of this.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Nice power, but why would you build the motor and not put cams into set-up like this?? As a shop I think Mike should have said whoa???? I dont understand unless you are going to try and test some cams??
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

^ read through the thread I have explained this already
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor

This combination was done with somewhat of a budget in mind to get the car on the road.. I suggested the Stock manifold, he knows he needs cams, Ported IM and TB will help.. So understand when you expect to spend 1000.00 on something and then you end up finding out you NEED other parts that double that amount it doesnt always leave extra $$$ for the parts you dont NEED but parts you want.. So we will add to this combination over time.. It makes it more fun as well to know what you bought and how much you gained a few parts at a time not throwing the kitchen sink at it..

That Manifold is KILLING the spool worse that the actuator.. Im sure of it.. But with both the right parts on we will be bale to show a good before and after i am sure.. so stay posted..

Mike