Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

English Racing SD Evo 9 HKS7460 E85 - Results are in.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
With the HKS housing being stainless, it would probably be better to modify the HKS housing.

The HKS housing looks like it might even be slightly larger on the scroll area from the pictures above. Opening up the nozzle a bit might help some. The fact that it makes good power though leads me to beleive it isn't hurting it much.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
FWIW (probably not much since this oriented to single scroll), BUT

http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm

9.8cm would be just under 0.72 and a 10.5cm would be 0.77

aaron
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok...guys...so porting the hotside should remedy the problem? or should the hotside be left un touched since it seems like its not causing the turbo to loose any power...whats everyones opinion on this? Can this be ported to 10.5cm?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by highbredcloud
ok...guys...so porting the hotside should remedy the problem? or should the hotside be left un touched since it seems like its not causing the turbo to loose any power...whats everyones opinion on this? Can this be ported to 10.5cm?
porting a hotside never includes work to the nozzle area. its focus would be the inlet and wastegate flow. you can port the nozzle area but you have to be careful. you can ruin the housing very easily by taking too much off. it would be a much better idea to cut a mitsu 10.5 housing to work with this wheel. my guess is it would spool 250rpm slower and free up 20hp from 6k up.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

This is an unmolested 9.8 housing.

Sectioned at 35*,90*,180*,270*
35* is roughly the angle where the inlet ceternline meets up at a tangent with the radial scroll.

35* cut

35* face up close

Cylinder 1&4 scroll measurement

Cylinder 2&3 scroll measurement
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Something worth mentioning, although it is only based on a guess.

If you look at the manifold, cylinders 2&3 runners are much shorter. Because of this, they will have a lower pressure drop. I think the scroll may have been shrunk in size to balance pressure drops between cylinders.

Also, I took measurements all over the place and built up a solid model and a numerical model of the scroll profiles. Here are some facts from the measurements I took.

(Side 1 is cylinders 1&4, side 2 cylinders 2&3)

Scroll area [mm^2]
Side 1: 529
Side 2: 431
Total: 960

Or if you want it in cm^2, 9.6 total at 35*...

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Nov 1, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I agree....but... it would be interesting to make it wider... and that's possible. Or as I suggested earlier... cut the stock turbine housing for the HKS wheel...as long as the backhalf bolts up the CHRA
Jeez Ernie, doesn´t your mind ever stop whirring? JK & LOL. This thread is heading down some really interesting paths.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
porting a hotside never includes work to the nozzle area. its focus would be the inlet and wastegate flow. you can port the nozzle area but you have to be careful. you can ruin the housing very easily by taking too much off. it would be a much better idea to cut a mitsu 10.5 housing to work with this wheel. my guess is it would spool 250rpm slower and free up 20hp from 6k up.
so you are saying that porting the hotside will not do much for this turbo? I just want to know before I throw my money away...thanks...
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

WTF? The turbo made 480 WHP and out spooled the stock EVO IX turbo.

What the hell do people want? What difference does it matter if it has a smaller nozzle if it makes the power?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr

What the hell do people want? What difference does it matter if it has a smaller nozzle if it makes the power?
I for one want to know if I port the hotside if that is going to potentially give more power to the turbo so I can break 500whp...or is the hotside on that turbo already good that porting it wont make a difference...
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr

I want lots of cake and I want to eat it too. I want 500 whp with the same or better spool compared to stock.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I want lots of cake and I want to eat it too. I want 500 whp with the same or better spool compared to stock.
Eric, by porting the hotside will this even help the turbo and the problem with the a/r or not? I am about to send it out to MAP...but want to make sure that its something that will help...don't want to spend on things that won't produce power on this setup...what is your view? i know you ported yours...so I already think I know the answer...do you think it helped you any?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was fully ported and gasket matched. There's no real way to know if it helped or not without a back-to-back comparison.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

There just seems to be people jumping to conclusions that it has a smaller nozzle then stock. I doubt it does and until somebody measures it, it is just guessing.

Either way, if somebody is determined to port the scroll/nozzle, it is my opinion that you would be better off getting it extrude honed. After that, hand finish the nozzle splitter tip as it will likely be sharp which is very undesireable at high temps.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I absolutely am guessing about how restrictive this HKS housing is. So far we have seen 480whp from it. An we have seen 670whp made through the evo 10.5 housing. My guessing comes from tweaking the housings in this area on some past setups. Removing a tiny amount of material in this area has a HUGE affect on effective A/R. The amount of difference of restriction in this area between the HKS and stock is not tiny. its HUGE. I'd bet a million dollars right now that a machined 10.5 mitsu housing will make more power. Its not even a question in my mind. Take it for what its worth.

I would never send a housing for extrude honing again. that process takes large amounts of material off that cant be reversed. they ruined a compressor housing I sent them years back.
The problem with extrude honing is when the material is forced through the housing it takes the path of least restance. What I ended up with was huge gap on one section of the scroll. it didnt remove material evenly throughout the housing at all. On a twin scroll housing it would be certain suicide. the wall thickness separating the two scrolls cant afford to loose material.

Here are some pics looking into the scrolls. the first two are the HKS, the second two are mitsu 10.5. not only is the shape of HKS appear smaller there is far more light getting into the mitsu 10.5. the light would represent how much heat can get out. more light = more heat out.

And I am pretty sure the diffusur area is not part of A/R calculation. The a/r is calculated by the area inside housing . when a/r is increased the area is increased without enlarging the diffusor width. the diffuser width matches the width of turbine wheel blades and is kept constant. larger a/r housings work in two ways. they diffuse more heat before it reaches turbine. and it slows the air down before it reaches turbine. ultimately lowing backpressure before turbine.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Nov 2, 2010 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: English Racing SD Evo 9 HKS7460 E85 - Results are in.