Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

English Racing SD Evo 9 HKS7460 E85 - Results are in.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Is there a published A/R on this new HKS turbo?
yes, on the HKS website. i listed it somewhere
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=3869&rsku=0

It says the A/R is 0.74.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Got the housings back. In short the A/R of this HKS housing is very small. If I had to estimate I would say its smaller than 9cm. It may be a bit hard to see in pictures so I edited them so you could see better. The red lines are HKS and The green are the FP 10.5cm housings. The width where the twin scrolls transfer into the turbine differs drastically between the two housings. The HKS is really restrictive.

How does the transfer area compare to a stock 9 turbo?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is porting of the hotside neccessary on the HKS turbo then? seems like it would only benefit with that mod...anyone?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a new idea I'll be talking to CBRD about. A good way to modify the HKS turbo

MIL.SPEC came through with a 65mm to test! I should have that this coming week.

I'm waiting on more porting tools to finish a friends housing before I work on my ex. manifold.

Aaron I was planning on going to DO since its like 140 miles closer lol. We'll see how it coordinates with Holiday plans... if I'm going to Eugene or The Dalles I'll be sure and swoop by.

The car runs great! My new TiAL BOV spring should be in on Monday and I'll get around to that TedB mod if I don't work on the Neon
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Hey, just got to this thread... I was eagerly awaiting results.

My thoughts:

From what you say R/TErnie, the ball bearing does exactly what I thought it would do on a stock bolt-up turbo for the evo... it makes you want to road race the **** out of your car! I can only imagine the transient response. The quickest response I've ever felt in an evo, was my IX with a stock turbo, and a tune on minor bolt-ons. And I thought that was fantastic... I can only imagine what your's would feel like.

On a side note... (this is just my opinion) I'm glad I waited, because my goal was to achieve 550+ on 93 octane... and I had a feeling this turbo wasn't going to produce that. Hence me going with a FP Black on my 2.4 and getting it converted to ball bearing. It'll hopefully be on the road soon.

I'm PRETTY sure your car will still outspool my 2.4 w/high compression on an BB FP Black... I guess you can never really get everything you want! haha.

Question: You say you are using the FP Oil feed line with filter... I was told by Owens Developmetns (the ones that converted my black to ball bearing) strictly to use the stock oil lines because of the ball bearing cartridge not needing the same amount of oil as a journal bearing housing. Did HKS tell you otherwise? Just wanted to know a little more about this since I haven't put my turbo on yet. I have stock lines and the revised FP line.

Last question: I didn't read all of page two... did you hit 500whp yet? What did you end up doing to achieve this? Feel free to just PM me the post # (I'm lazy... too much reading today)

Shake it easy!
-MR
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
^if it saves u anymoney u should check with fp and see if they could throw an hta wheel on the hks.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

I can run the FP oil feed line with restrictor/filter because the HKS turbo uses a restrictor that is inside the chra housing. So no worries.

Didn't hit 500 yet. I'm porting the exhaust manifold and putting on a 65mm MIL.SPEC throttle body and dynoing the difference The goal is to hit 500 with the combination.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Man this turbo just gets more and more interesting every time I come to check this thread.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I can run the FP oil feed line with restrictor/filter because the HKS turbo uses a restrictor that is inside the chra housing. So no worries.

Didn't hit 500 yet. I'm porting the exhaust manifold and putting on a 65mm MIL.SPEC throttle body and dynoing the difference The goal is to hit 500 with the combination.
Ahhh makes a lot of sense. Owens did the same and they told me it doesnt matter what line you run (because of the internal restrictor as you said), so I'm going to run the factory lines.

Another 15hp with a ported exhaust manifold and 65mm tb... That may just do it. Keep them IC temps down and hit that 500!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MagicManRed
Ahhh makes a lot of sense. Owens did the same and they told me it doesnt matter what line you run (because of the internal restrictor as you said), so I'm going to run the factory lines.

Another 15hp with a ported exhaust manifold and 65mm tb... That may just do it. Keep them IC temps down and hit that 500!
ahem.. only need 12 more ponies to join the rodeo.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

oops! actually its more like 11.18 haha
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

responded to your email eric

cb
Old Nov 1, 2010, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've got some interesting pictures at home I'll post up that may put that picture into perspective.

I'm betting that HKS housing isn't nearly as small as the picture looks. I bet it is just as big as a stock IX turbo. The green HAS to be that open to fit the larger diameter turbine wheel.

That is NOT the A/R though. That is the nozzle width that is highlighted.

The 9.8 housing comes out to roughly 0.75 A/R from my measurements.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I've got some interesting pictures at home I'll post up that may put that picture into perspective.

I'm betting that HKS housing isn't nearly as small as the picture looks. I bet it is just as big as a stock IX turbo. The green HAS to be that open to fit the larger diameter turbine wheel.

That is NOT the A/R though. That is the nozzle width that is highlighted.

The 9.8 housing comes out to roughly 0.75 A/R from my measurements.
I agree, but the stock housing still has a wider nozzle than the HKS. the FP Black has a VERY wide nozzle.

Of course it would be interesting to make it wider... and that's possible. Or as I suggested earlier... cut the stock turbine housing for the HKS wheel...as long as the backhalf bolts up the CHRA

Quick Reply: English Racing SD Evo 9 HKS7460 E85 - Results are in.