Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Bone Stock Evo VIII, before and after...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bone Stock Evo VIII, before and after...

I recently bought a 110% bone stock 2005 Evo VIII and wanted a little more umph. I took it to the guys at No Limit Motorsports and it feels like I bought a whole new car. The Evo is BEAST now, well at least compared to stock.

We did a series of things. I want the car to be quiet and have all the safety parameters, which was accomplished today. We did a simple base line run and the car made 289wtq and 285 whp which, was great, but we noticed it was running a bit lean. We came to the conclusion that the pump was on its way out (the car has 70k miles on it) so the pump was replaced and a MBC was added. Manny, tuned the car with the new pump and we hit 320wtq and 311whp. I decided to see what a drop in filter would do at this point and tossed it in the car. The car didn't make much more peak power, but made the car make a bit more power down low.

I was going to call it a day, but Manny talked me into a downpipe and I gave in. Manny puled the car off the dyno and put the DP in and we were back to tuning. The car again, didn't make much more peak hp, but I picked up close to 30wtq, which is amazing! All in all I made 340wtq and 320whp. The car is much more fun to drive now!

For the people that don't want to read the novel...
Stock = 289wtq 285whp
MBC, Drop in filter, Pump = 320wtq 311whp
MBC, Drop in filter, Pump, DP = 340wtq 320whp

Here are the graphs!

Last edited by emotart; Nov 5, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Must have had a high Correction factor because no bone stock VIII makes 285+ and its 320hp 311tq which tells me its a extremely high reading dyno as I have all bolt ons plus cams and on a low reading dyno I made 329hp 281tq.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BEISSEN
Must have had a high Correction factor because no bone stock VIII makes 285+ and its 320hp 311tq which tells me its a extremely high reading dyno as I have all bolt ons plus cams and on a low reading dyno I made 329hp 281tq.
The car was running very lean for a stock car, mid 11 afr, which is what helped gain some power. You are also wrong on the numbers, it was 320wtq and 311whp, trust me I was there . Most stock Evos on their dyno put down 240-250whp, so I would say it is an average reading dyno.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

320 whp seems kind of high for just those mods, but if your happy with it then ts all good. what was the cf for the dyno??
Old Nov 5, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erald01
320 whp seems kind of high for just those mods, but if your happy with it then ts all good. what was the cf for the dyno??
I believe Manny said it was 1.150, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The car feels night and day different, I was blown away when I did a 1-3 pull on the way home.

Last edited by emotart; Nov 5, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:41 PM
Account Disabled

285whp on a bone stock 2005 Evo is basically what it is rated stock at the flywheel.

An actual zero correction low reading dyno would put a 05 Evo at 210-220 whp.

1.15 correction like you said would put your baseline at 242 whp in reality.

The good thing is you have before and after so it's the gains that matter. You made 51 whp from bone stock to tuned with barely any mods which is reasonable.

- Bryan

Last edited by GST Motorsports; Nov 5, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
285whp on a bone stock 2005 Evo is basically what it is rated stock at the flywheel.

An actual zero correction low reading dyno would put a 05 Evo at 210-220 whp.

1.15 correction like you said would put your baseline at 242 whp in reality.

The good thing is you have before and after so it's the gains that matter. You made 51 whp from bone stock to tuned with barely any mods which is reasonable.

- Bryan
My car dyno'd high because the pump was failing. In my stock baseline, you can see the car is running mid 11 afrs instead of running very rich like most Evos do from the factory.

As I said most Evos on this dyno, put down 240-250whp, which from what I have seen is the norm.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

emotart, PM sent
Old Nov 6, 2010, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Usually we see about 260whp on a bone stock 9 on our dyno. We were shocked with what this car based at. It did come in running pretty much 12.0 afr's though.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chris@nolimitmotors
Usually we see about 260whp on a bone stock 9 on our dyno. We were shocked with what this car based at. It did come in running pretty much 12.0 afr's though.
Yeah, Manny and I came to the conclusion that the stock pump was on its way out causing the AFRs to be lean. We also had ideal temps and conditions for tuning the car.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

great conditions caused great results, but in the end before and after is key and most important, customer satisfaction!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:29 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by emotart
Yeah, Manny and I came to the conclusion that the stock pump was on its way out causing the AFRs to be lean. We also had ideal temps and conditions for tuning the car.
Yes when the pump is on it's last leg it will cause this lean issue...Graph looks good and so does the power looks like you found yourself a good shop and chris is a good guy..
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chameleon@NLM
great conditions caused great results, but in the end before and after is key and most important, customer satisfaction!
I am banning myself from NLM. I was expecting a MBC and tune, but walked out with a MBC, pump, DP and tune. LOL! You guys will probably see me some time next week for some minor things.

Originally Posted by EVO IXMR
Yes when the pump is on it's last leg it will cause this lean issue...Graph looks good and so does the power looks like you found yourself a good shop and chris is a good guy..
I gotta hand it to the NLM guys. The guys up front were great and Manny was awesome. The car is absolutely amazing and a blast to drive. The boost comes on quicker and holds on up top better!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

I am banning myself from NLM. I was expecting a MBC and tune, but walked out with a MBC, pump, DP and tune. LOL! You guys will probably see me some time next week for some minor things.

I gotta hand it to the NLM guys. The guys up front were great and Manny was awesome. The car is absolutely amazing and a blast to drive. The boost comes on quicker and holds on up top better!
Wait till you put cams!!!Kelords are king on the 8's.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car was running very lean for a stock car, mid 11 afr, which is what helped gain some power. You are also wrong on the numbers, it was 320wtq and 311whp, trust me I was there . Most stock Evos on their dyno put down 240-250whp, so I would say it is an average reading dyno.
very lean @ 11.5 thats bang on the money

Quick Reply: Bone Stock Evo VIII, before and after...