Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo IX 2.1L FP Red on E-85

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo IX 2.1L FP Red on E-85

Mods List:
Buschur Racing 2.1L (Manley I-beams and Manley BR Pistons)
Buschur Stage 3 Ported Head
FP 84mm Red (25# WGA, Ported, BR SS O2)
Shep 5sp Ultimate-Ratio Trans
HKS 272 Cams
Dynatek ARC2 w/Montero coils
Full-Race Prostock Ex Manifold
ETS 4" FMIC & IC pipes (Tial QR BOV)
3" DP & Mil.Spec 100 HFC
ARC Ti Catback Exhaust
Full Blown DP (AMS rail, ID2000s, Fuelab FPR)

Tuned on Speed Density (on Stock ECU) and E-85 by Nate @ TPG Tuning

The car is running 32psi of boost, and could definitely be turned up for more power, but this is my daily driver. This much power is plenty for the street, and the main thing I wanted to go for was reliability and just fun driving factor. I may take it to the track every now and then, but this will be a workhorse DD and will see plenty of miles. I have the dual map setup installed with the Tephra V7, so 93 and E-85 will be used. Once it snows a good bit (saw well over a few feet last year) I will probably switch it to 93 full time until it warms up again.

Prior to this Red I had an HTA Green that I ran at 35psi with a 37 psi spike which made good power but it eventually died on me. It wasn't the fault of the turbo or even the design, it was just pushed way past its efficiency range and it still managed to hold on for over a year. I called FP and it was still under warranty so they upgraded me to a brand new Red for free .

I purchased the SpoolinUp SD harness and it worked flawlessly. I really hope they develop the Baro sensor and it can be added on in the near future. Speed Density makes drivability much better, partial throttle and WOT pulls are smooth as can be. Before, with the HTA Green and even with the Red you could tell that the MAF was starting to limit things, and with the new 4" intake and filter it flows much better and sounds amazing. SD is a great upgrade, so to the ECU gods on the forums here who helped develop things, .

This is a great street combination. I wish that the turbine spooled a little faster, but it is pretty unrealistic to expect a small stock frame turbo to support 550whp+ while pushing 35+ psi of boost and live forever. The new BB options that are coming out look promising, but I will wait until I see some results before committing to anything.

I will try to dig up a boost plot and overlay it with the dyno sheet.

Well EvoM, let me know what you think.
Cheers

Last edited by buchnerj; Nov 6, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buchnerj

Mods List:
Buschur Racing 2.1L (Manley I-beams and Manley BR Pistons)
Buschur Stage 3 Ported Head
FP 84mm Red (25# WGA, Ported, BR SS O2)
Shep 5sp Ultimate-Ratio Trans
HKS 272 Cams
Dynatek ARC2 w/Montero coils
Full-Race Prostock Ex Manifold
ETS 4" FMIC & IC pipes (Tial QR BOV)
3" DP & Mil.Spec 100 HFC
ARC Ti Catback Exhaust
Full Blown DP (AMS rail, ID2000s, Fuelab FPR)

Tuned on Speed Density (on Stock ECU) and E-85 by Nate @ TPG Tuning

The car is running 32psi of boost, and could definitely be turned up for more power but this is my daily driver. Prior to this Red I had an HTA Green that I ran at 35psi with a 37 psi spike which made good power but it eventually died on me. It wasn't the fault of the turbo or even the design, it was just pushed way past its efficiency range and it still managed to hold on for over a year. I called FP and it was still under warranty so they upgraded me to a brand new Red for free .

I purchased the SpoolinUp SD harness and it worked flawlessly. I really hope they develop the Baro sensor and it can be added on in the near future. Speed Density makes drivability much better, partial throttle and WOT pulls are smooth as can be. Before, with the HTA Green and even with the Red you could tell that the MAF was starting to limit things, and with the new 4" intake and filter it flows much better and sounds amazing. SD is a great upgrade, so to the ECU gods on the forums here who helped develop things, .

This is a great street combination. I wish that the turbine spooled a little faster, but it is pretty unrealistic to expect a stock frame turbo to support 550whp+ while pushing 35+ psi of boost and live forever. The new BB options that are coming out look promising, but I will wait until I see some results before committing to anything.

I will try to dig up a boost plot and overlay it with the dyno sheet.

Well EvoM, let me know what you think.
Cheers

Nice setup bro and power for 32 psi...It's bit laggy for a red on e85 also change those cams to gsc 2's for an extra 25whp..Also why did you only rev the car to 6,200rpms?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that you stopped the dyno pull before your peak power.
Waiting to see a pull until 8000rpm
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by darwin_evo
Agreed on the pull til 8k, but the red starts to fall of in power after 7,400 rpms.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

It will most likely not see that high of a rev. I am sure it could make much more if I pushed it, but as stated, it is my DD and won't be beaten on much. I wouldn't be surprised if I cranked the boost up to 35-37 and tweaked the tune to be more aggressive that we would see numbers in the low-mid 600 range.

Originally Posted by EVO IXMR
Nice setup bro and power for 32 psi...It's bit laggy for a red on e85 also change those cams to gsc 2's for an extra 25whp..Also why did you only rev the car to 6,200rpms?
I was considering swapping out the cams, but I am happy with the power it is making now. The HKS 272 grind are a great street cam, some gains, but it keeps the idle beautifully and still helps spool things up. If I were to change anything though it would be the cam to the S2s. They could possibly help spool a little faster and see good gains, but again, this is more than enough power for me on the street. Don't want to break the tires loose too much
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:39 PM
Account Disabled

It will most likely not see that high of a rev. I am sure it could make much more if I pushed it, but as stated, it is my DD and won't be beaten on much. I wouldn't be surprised if I cranked the boost up to 35-37 and tweaked the tune to be more aggressive that we would see numbers in the low-mid 600 range.

I was considering swapping out the cams, but I am happy with the power it is making now. The HKS 272 grind are a great street cam, some gains, but it keeps the idle beautifully and still helps spool things up. If I were to change anything though it would be the cam to the S2s. They could possibly help spool a little faster and see good gains, but again, this is more than enough power for me on the street. Don't want to break the tires loose too much
I hear you.. The s2's if tuned right they will be no loss in spool just power..As far as the idle mine idle almost like stock and my friends car has a slight lump to them which he asked for..I feel the same way as you im making around the same power as you and for a daily driver it's perfect for now in reality running around with more then 600 whp is pointless and dangerous.. check you pm..
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice! I also kept the HKS272 for the smooth idling. There are more power to be made with other cams but I like to surpise people with these civilized cams.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can rev to 8500 no problem and your HKS cams are going to kill your topend. Also you can't make mid 600 on Red
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it's your car
The most important thing is that you're happy with it.

This being said, you're barely in the middle of your power band when shifting at 6200rpm with an fp red. You have a 2.1L engine, which can rev even higher than a 2.0L !! You also have I beam rods... believe me, at 6200rpm you're not even CLOSE to the potential of your setup.

Btw, what's the compression ratio of the engine?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO IXMR
I hear you.. The s2's if tuned right they will be no loss in spool just power..As far as the idle mine idle almost like stock and my friends car has a slight lump to them which he asked for..I feel the same way as you im making around the same power as you and for a daily driver it's perfect for now in reality running around with more then 600 whp is pointless and dangerous.. check you pm..
Responded. The ARC-2 system is nice and has a nice built in launch setting for whatever you want your 2-step set to. Call MAP or another vendor and they can get you setup with a decent system. I use the Montero coils, because they are really all that I need. If I was having ignition problems now I would switch it up to a COP setup, but for now this works flawlessly.

Anything over 600whp is overkill for a DD IMO. It would be nice and fun, but when are you actually going to use all of that power? Fooling around with that much (and even 500whp+ for that matter) on the street is just asking for trouble and a serious accident.

When I take it to the track I might tweak the tune to get some more power, but for right now I am just taking some much needed time and enjoying the car.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:50 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
you can rev to 8500 no problem and your HKS cams are going to kill your topend. Also you can't make mid 600 on Red
I meant with the hks cams it will not make much more power..
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I agree that the cams would kill things, but any cam that can keep up with the 8500-9000 rev limit is going to have issues in the lower range of the power band. Wouldn't you agree? I wouldn't be surprised to see ~600-620 on a built Red, E-85, SD, set to kill mode.

Well, it's your car
The most important thing is that you're happy with it.

This being said, you're barely in the middle of your power band when shifting at 6200rpm with an fp red. You have a 2.1L engine, which can rev even higher than a 2.0L !! You also have I beam rods... believe me, at 6200rpm you're not even CLOSE to the potential of your setup.

Btw, what's the compression ratio of the engine?
Agreed. There is more in the tank, one day I might play around to see what it can make when pushed to the limits. For now, after spending all this money, I just want to enjoy it while not taking a risk in breaking things! I would kick myself if I was negligent and forced it past what it should be making.

The compression ratio is 10:1 I believe.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

I agree that the cams would kill things, but any cam that can keep up with the 8500-9000 rev limit is going to have issues in the lower range of the power band. Wouldn't you agree? I wouldn't be surprised to see ~600-620 on a built Red, E-85, SD, set to kill mode.

Agreed. There is more in the tank, one day I might play around to see what it can make when pushed to the limits. For now, after spending all this money, I just want to enjoy it while not taking a risk in breaking things! I would kick myself if I was negligent and forced it past what it should be making.

The compression ratio is 10:1 I believe.
Who built the motor?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Nice! I also kept the HKS272 for the smooth idling. There are more power to be made with other cams but I like to surpise people with these civilized cams.
If you didn't know,, because you have a 2.3 you can put a large 288 cam in and it will idle like a 272. I have the largest cam you can buy on the market right now and my car sounds/idle just like a hks 272 on a 2.0.

Mikey
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

A few people asked for pictures of the car and the bay. They are cell phone pictures so sorry for the quality. I will take better ones at a later date.

Quick Reply: Evo IX 2.1L FP Red on E-85