Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Mustang vs. Dynojet and some amazing numbers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
18% difference?

My math says its a 14% difference...

Corrected DJ # = 578

UNcorrected DJ = 572

MD number = 493

493/572= .8618

So a MD is 14% less then a DJ.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; Nov 16, 2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Great information and thanks for posting it up. That is a big spread in power. Switzer performance is right down the street from here, he has/had an AWD Dynojet. His dyno to mine and Mike at AWD's dyno to mine is about 13% difference, mine being lower. BTW, Switzer only uses our dyno now, his is taken apart and under a cover, I guess that says what he prefers He did some datalogging on his dyno, then the road on the way here and then on our dyno, he saw what the facts were. Road compared to our dyno were spot on the money, boost, spool up, AFR's etc. Anyone want to buy an AWD Dynojet? Contact him.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
I was wondering what that was all about as well. But from what I understand a dynojet just takes roller speed and time to determine hp so I was under the assumption it didnt matter what engine rpm was. How can a dynojet spike upwards if there isnt a roller acceleration for the instance? I am sure you are more familliar with it then I am. My first thoughts were it may have been a boost error correction or lack therof but like I said you may know better then me.
I'll find some dyno plots where we shifted on the dyno. I am not sure why it does but right at throttle chop it will almost always spike when vs MPH or a really violent chop. The fact that I saw power nose over prior to that and know what the gearing should be versus rpm in that pull helps too

aaron
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
18% difference?

Corrected DJ # = 578

UNcorrected DJ = 572

MD number = 493

493/572= .8618

I do believe that math is wrong because if you do 493*1.14 you get 562... However if you do 493*1.16(572/493) you get 572. I am just saying and I may be looking at it backwards.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:30 PM

This is one of those 5th grade math problems:

The Mustang reads 13.8% lower than the DynoJet numbers.
The DynoJet reads 16.0% higher than the Mustang numbers.

They're both correct and correspond to the same numbers...
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:47 PM
Account Disabled

Listen the fact of the matter is k.h.c has a low reading dyno and the tuner doesn't due tune his maps..Now your put in the system as a low reading mustang . We now you have 3 that are real deal low reading mustang dyno's in the evo world..Great job petey for what the car is it's a beast..

1.buschur
2.stm
3.k.h.c.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Great information and thanks for posting it up. That is a big spread in power. Switzer performance is right down the street from here, he has/had an AWD Dynojet. His dyno to mine and Mike at AWD's dyno to mine is about 13% difference, mine being lower. BTW, Switzer only uses our dyno now, his is taken apart and under a cover, I guess that says what he prefers He did some datalogging on his dyno, then the road on the way here and then on our dyno, he saw what the facts were. Road compared to our dyno were spot on the money, boost, spool up, AFR's etc. Anyone want to buy an AWD Dynojet? Contact him.
Haha! The master has spoken, and I agree 100%.

Dyno's should only be used as a tool to tune and diagnose engine performance. To truly simulate what the car does on the road an AWD Mustang Dyno with Eddy load simulation is preferred and what I only use for my Evo.

Dyno's differ. Only track times and good driving can be compared, when weight is disclosed on how a car performs differently than another.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Great info Petey!!

Please fill us in on why there's 85hp difference in hp but only 40hp difference in tq? Why doesn't the difference carry over to the peak tq output?

Also the tq curves were different from one dyno to the other? Were these both 3rd gear pulls??

Thanks for sharing your findings with the community!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO IXMR
Listen the fact of the matter is k.h.c has a low reading dyno and the tuner doesn't due tune his maps..Now your put in the system as a low reading mustang . We now you have 3 that are real deal low reading mustang dyno's in the evo world..Great job petey for what the car is it's a beast..

1.buschur
2.stm
3.k.h.c.
Add Doug's Dyno, GST and CBRD in there to make that statement correct.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by E-Spec@Tach Motor Works
Great info Petey!!

Please fill us in on why there's 85hp difference in hp but only 40hp difference in tq? Why doesn't the difference carry over to the peak tq output?

Also the tq curves were different from one dyno to the other? Were these both 3rd gear pulls??

Thanks for sharing your findings with the community!
RPM synch can do that if its off a little. Obviously it wouldnt be off too much but 100 rpm can make a difference.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Is it safe to say a mustang dyno and dyno dynamics are really close then as well too?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by t-revzr
Is it safe to say a mustang dyno and dyno dynamics are really close then as well too?
If the dyno dynamics is ran on 1.0 CF.

The problem is most shops with DDs change the CF to 1.15-.20 to try and represent dynojet numbers.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:32 PM

Wow, that's a pretty big difference. But unless you are e-pening for numbers the real focus should be on using dynos to measure incremental improvements.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Normally its 13-15% on a properly setup Mustang (which it appears KHC has) but weather correction can play a larger factor as well. If the Mustang numbers were with differing humidity and they were uncorrected vs the Dynojet corrected there is the percentage difference.

Looking at vs speed the car didnt really make 578...it spiked right at the end when they chopped it. It would be interesting to see vs rpm and what the power was at right as it was dropping off around 84mph in that graph.

aaron
Thats what i noticed right away as well.. both the curves are not the same so you need to view the chart before that high spike to get a better idea of the difference.. that spike for 25rpm on top is meaningless in the peak #..

usually MD dynos read about 13% less than ours..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Nov 16, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
18% difference?

Corrected DJ # = 578

UNcorrected DJ = 572

MD number = 493

493/572= .8618

Originally Posted by AndersEvoIII
This is one of those 5th grade math problems:

The Mustang reads 13.8% lower than the DynoJet numbers.
The DynoJet reads 16.0% higher than the Mustang numbers.

They're both correct and correspond to the same numbers...
Originally Posted by jasnm21
I do believe that math is wrong because if you do 493*1.14 you get 562... However if you do 493*1.16(572/493) you get 572. I am just saying and I may be looking at it backwards.
^^ Im not wrong.

But your not either

Quick Reply: Mustang vs. Dynojet and some amazing numbers