Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Mustang vs. Dynojet and some amazing numbers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
If the dyno dynamics is ran on 1.0 CF.

The problem is most shops with DDs change the CF to 1.15-.20 to try and represent dynojet numbers.
What i would do if i owned an MD or DD is find a local dynojet and dyno 2-3 cars back ot back on both and setup mt dyno to match as close as possible.. do a 400hp, 600hp and 700 or more Hp car on both and set it up.. I would have mine read like the industry standard dynojet.. because it sucks when a kid with no knowledge comes to the shop and you do some mods and you hand him his low reading MD # and he says " but everyone on the internet is making 20hp more ".. Its cool to replicate the dynojet #'s its that some shops get WAY OUT OF HAND.. Cough.. TTP

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike, that's when you pull them aside and educate them on this. poor unfortunates who compare their outcomes to the internet LOL.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by compscibOi
Mike, that's when you pull them aside and educate them on this. poor unfortunates who compare their outcomes to the internet LOL.
Yes you can do that but end of the day they dont return.. the avg guys who come looking for a number to brag about want the industry standard dynojet #.. its too complex to explain why the MD is lower.. again if i buy an MD ill just calibrate to read like DJ.. nothing wrong with that.. its when you use it to your advantage and dyno low , mod it, then dyno high.. thats why shops close down because of dishonesty.. 2 of the worst we ever saw on here both are banned if that tells you something..

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jasnm21
Add Doug's Dyno, GST and CBRD in there to make that statement correct.
Who is Doug's dyno????

The reason why I only named these 3 is because there tested back to back to a d.j but not on the same day...
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Yes you can do that but end of the day they dont return.. the avg guys who come looking for a number to brag about want the industry standard dynojet #.. its too complex to explain why the MD is lower.. again if i buy an MD ill just calibrate to read like DJ.. nothing wrong with that.. its when you use it to your advantage and dyno low , mod it, then dyno high.. thats why shops close down because of dishonesty.. 2 of the worst we ever saw on here both are banned if that tells you something..

Mike
Well said and agreed 100%.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If I owned any dyno I would calibrate it to a NIST standard. After all, 1 HP is a very well defined number.

Anything else is uncivilized...
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
If I owned any dyno I would calibrate it to a NIST standard. After all, 1 HP is a very well defined number.

Anything else is uncivilized...
Hahahahahaha!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:37 AM
Account Disabled

we were trying to do a video at one point...

we wanted to run our TA car on our dyno in the morning, then trailer to a local Dynapack, then Dynojet, and then a Land/Sea...

When we told the other shops what we were doing (an educational video on dyno differences).. they declined allowing us to run our car LOL!

very good stuff petey!

cb
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I can set my dyno up to read like a Dynojet, very easy to do. We did just what you said Mike, a few cars from here over to a Dynojet and figured it out. I refuse to do it though, I run mine like Mustang wants it and the numbers are low, good enough for me.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I can set my dyno up to read like a Dynojet, very easy to do. We did just what you said Mike, a few cars from here over to a Dynojet and figured it out. I refuse to do it though, I run mine like Mustang wants it and the numbers are low, good enough for me.
we had a setting that seemed to run similar too... and at one point, we were letting another tune use our dyno, had it setup for him to tune cars..

a few days later I couldn't figure out how a car I was tuning was making such massive numbers... and the load wasnt cooresponding... never again... caused alot of stress for me for 2-3 hours lol

cb
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

I never understood the infatuation with dyno numbers. I'd rather have my car tuned on an accurate dyno then see a big pretty overinflated graph.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Paintballguy
I never understood the infatuation with dyno numbers. I'd rather have my car tuned on an accurate dyno then see a big pretty overinflated graph.
Agreed 1000000 times.
A dyno is merely a tuning tool and provided you use the same dyno under the same conditions, a great way to measure gains when you add performance parts to your setup. This is one of the MOST ANNOYING AND OVER-DISCUSSED TOPICS on this forum.

Last edited by dieselmd; Nov 17, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dieselmd
Agreed 1000000 times.
A dyno is merely a tuning tool and provided you use the same dyno under the same conditions, a great way to measure gains when you add performance parts to your setup. This is one of the MOST ANNOYING AND OVER-DISCUSSED TOPICS on this forum.
Well the thing about it is, like Mike said when you have someone say hey what kind of power did it put down and you say 500 hp on big boost and a 6262 set up and runs 140+ mph in the 1/4, someone that knows a little about cars is going to say isn't that way low for that setup. Dynojet IS the industry standard. I agree Mustang dynos are great for tuning but the numbers EVERYONE go by are dynojet. Our local Mustang dyno has been setup to read like a dynojet so when you say the power your car makes people can grasp it.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 97EclipseGSX
Well the thing about it is, like Mike said when you have someone say hey what kind of power did it put down and you say 500 hp on big boost and a 6262 set up and runs 140+ mph in the 1/4, someone that knows a little about cars is going to say isn't that way low for that setup. Dynojet IS the industry standard. I agree Mustang dynos are great for tuning but the numbers EVERYONE go by are dynojet. Our local Mustang dyno has been setup to read like a dynojet so when you say the power your car makes people can grasp it.
This is my thoughts. Im sooooooo curious what i would lay down on any "regular" set up mustang. If its 18% different than a dyno jet, than id be right around 385-395 whp correct? 390 whp doesnt seem to be right to hit 125-127 mph traps tho. I guess ill be happy with my track times.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:19 PM

holy crap. I would love to see a dynojet vs a dyno dynamics HAHAH, then that vs a mustang dyno

Quick Reply: Mustang vs. Dynojet and some amazing numbers