Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Black vs 3582R HTA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely like the 3582 over the FPBlack. Plus you get an awesome external wastegate.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

setup

Very nice. Congrats
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DKC6691
For drag racing a FP Black would be a superior turbo depending on the set up, for road racing there is no question the a 3582 has a better powerband and reliability. Keep in mind my PRM's stay between 5500 to 9000. And one thing the dyno does not show is the wastegate on the stock frame turbo creates allot of turbulence when at halft throttle, the TIAL external on the 3582 does not and helps modulate all that power around corners.
What turbulence exactly? I have an external dump on my IX turbo and that separates everything. I also don't understand how a stock frame twin scroll turbo could be less responsive then a Single Scroll large frame turbo. I get the BB being more reliable, that goes without saying of course.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:25 AM

What turbulence exactly? I have an external dump on my IX turbo and that separates everything. I also don't understand how a stock frame twin scroll turbo could be less responsive then a Single Scroll large frame turbo. I get the BB being more reliable, that goes without saying of course.
Its hard to describe much more easy to experience but from my experience tracking my car here is what I can say.
Transient response at 5500 RMP + is feels the same probably because of the HTA wheel being so lite and the BB.
Regarding the turbulence, this occurs both on the FP Black w. external and the 35r with Tial Dump, the difference is on the 35 this feeling of the wastegate trying to control the boost is lessened and makes the car more controllable probably by the smoother and larger wastegate size. That is what I felt when I just went road racing at Portland international.

I hope this helps.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Excellent comparo, thank you for sharing!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:47 AM

Excellent comparo, thank you for sharing!
Thanks, I tried to make this as fair and as clear as possible, the only thing left to do is ceramic coat/turbo blanket the hotside, and magnus manifold, and some more tuning and I think this setup will be complete.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:18 PM

Im not going to go to far into this but look carfully at the graph. If you look closely at max boost on black its at 40 psi then tapers down to 32
If you look at the 3582 when pushed to 40 psi max boost it tapers down to 34. So actually the 3582 make almost 50 hp more than the black with one degree less of timing.
Every turbo is different some turbos you cant keep increasing boost to make power because they will spike really bad and power will taper off towards redline so you increase timing to compensate.
Its not about peak #'s for road racing its about flat powerband, usable rpm's and smooth throttle inputs.
Hope this helps.
Well what I'm looking at in the graphs is the red lined run on both the Black and the 3582. At the point of the black being at 32psi it is making 584hp and on the 3582 where it is at 31.85psi it is making 580hp. I'm not concerned about peak numbers either and I can also see that the 3582's boost spike is more quickly controlled from what I can see in the graph. And also that the BB center section would make for a better road race turbo because the turbo would stay spooled up in between shifts.
All I'm saying is that of the two turbo's, at the same psi, the Black made a couple extra HP and not 50 less like everyone else here seems to be commenting on.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Its hard to describe much more easy to experience but from my experience tracking my car here is what I can say.
Transient response at 5500 RMP + is feels the same probably because of the HTA wheel being so lite and the BB.
Regarding the turbulence, this occurs both on the FP Black w. external and the 35r with Tial Dump, the difference is on the 35 this feeling of the wastegate trying to control the boost is lessened and makes the car more controllable probably by the smoother and larger wastegate size. That is what I felt when I just went road racing at Portland international.

I hope this helps.
Well a 35R would snap to attention at 5500RPM's no question about that. I am glad you are happy, external gates obviously control boost better.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 05:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good info and I think you made a wise choice
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gkania
definitely like the 3582 over the fpblack. Plus you get an awesome external wastegate.
+1
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

FP Black w.
JSpeed Manifold
JMF o2 Dump
Megan Downpipe
All Hotside Ceramic Coated

HTA 35R .82 T3
ETS Manifold
ETS Downpipe
Tial 44mm Wastegate
Non Ceramic Coated
I agree with everything your saying:
a) GT35R bb for better Reliability
b) External Wastegate controlls boost better
c) GT35R = better 5000-9000rpm powerband
d) better boost recovery

But wouldnt a T3 .63 be a better comparo to a FP Black in terms off Power under the curve - One only really needs a .82 if your chasing higher trap speeds...

Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Theoretically the .63 would perform better for road racing but looking at his powerband he revs to 9k and runs a large amount of boost. The .63 would become restrictive at these boost levels and the powerband he uses there wouldn't really be any benefit for the marginal gain in spool.

Seeing as his car probably stays above 5k most it's life on the track he is always in it's powerband and unless he's running some serious tire you don't want all of 600whp coming alive instantly (atleast in my opinion)...especially on parts of PIR.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice comparison
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

at 4 k the black spooled better than the 35r, so basically u lose little bit of low end to get some top end, if you were to autocross aint that worst?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
.... one thing the dyno does not show is the wastegate on the stock frame turbo creates allot of turbulence when at halft throttle, the TIAL external on the 3582 does not and helps modulate all that power around corners.
This statement contains, what at least to me seems to be mumbo jumbo. For instance why would an integral gate create " ....a lot of turbulence at half throttle..."? Also, why would a remote TIAL gate, by contrast, not create turbulence? Are you refering to atmospheric turbulence? What data are you basing your claims on anyway?

Finally, exactly how does the TIAL remote gate... "help(s) modulate...power around corners"?

Quick Reply: FP Black vs 3582R HTA