Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

E85 Tune - no gain vs pump

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
If the core (though possibly larger) flows the same as the stock intercooler, timing isnt going to make more power since the EGT drops and the boost with it.

Trust me, I have tested this very thoroughly on the stock one both E85 and stock turbos/Green/Red and Pump (pump/meth) on larger turbos. Put a big core on it and see what it does.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say there's more to this than on the surface.
The builder/tuner of this car is APC, who have a fair bit of experience with 4G's, big hp and Evo's.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
How much power is 292kw and how thick is that core? I am a lazy american and dont feel like checking. The reason I ask is cores are limited to the amount of air they can move. A stock Evo taps out at 390whp almost every time. I have forced it to make more with a large turbo but it took 10psi extra for 20whp.
746W = 1hp... Only reason I know that is because in America we don't like using easy units even for electric motors where electrical calculations are based on Watts and N*m whereas all vendor informatoin comes in hp and ft*lbs.

It will be helpful to know all of your engine mods. The more important pieces of information at this horsepower level are: injector flow rate and boost level (what the tuner turned it up to for E85). Do you have any areas of possible significant boost leak? If you are leaking a lot, it could be affecting how the engine will react above 25psi despite the E85. IE: stock IX diverter valve, throttle body seals, etc. Have you/tuner done a boost leak test at these pressure levels?

I really doubt that there is a huge bottleneck in the system to prevent increased gains on E85. It will help us all out a bit if you could give us more information about your car.

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
If the core (though possibly larger) flows the same as the stock intercooler, timing isnt going to make more power since the EGT drops and the boost with it.

Trust me, I have tested this very thoroughly on the stock one both E85 and stock turbos/Green/Red and Pump (pump/meth) on larger turbos. Put a big core on it and see what it does.
^This guy knows what he is talking about.

Last edited by nollij; Apr 2, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That power seems a little over inflated already for that turbo/setup on 98RON.

Regardless, you should see a gain for E85. Even if you keep boost at the same level as you can run more timing, and E85 naturally increases cylinder pressures.

Perhaps fuel system isnt up to the job?? You really need some 1450cc injectors and a double pumper to make good use of that turbo.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What size injectors are you using? What fuel pumps? With a stroker motor, on Ethanol, and a Red turbo you're gonna need a double pumper, 2000cc injectors, get rid of the Cat and go to a test pipe. The larger core intercooler is also good advice. Are you even running a 3 inch downpipe? BTW, JohnBradley is a veteran and only gives the best advice based on his experience.

Last edited by sparky; Apr 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You will need to post up a detailed and all inclusive current modlist.Such as... What throttle body? What IC dimensions? What injectors? Specify the fuel pump.

There are tuners here in the U.S. that can do yo an EMail flash that is spectacular. Just to name a few, we have Mellon Tune, tscompusa, Jester, 4WS, ER, Bryan@ GST, and etc. these guys are experts.

Last edited by sparky; Apr 3, 2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

If the cooler was the restriction, what would you guys reccomend changing it out too?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonba
If the cooler was the restriction, what would you guys reccomend changing it out too?
Something big. 3.5" to 4" usually seems to work the best for most applications.

aaron
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Are you running a stock fuel pump? Remember E85 needs more fuel than gas. You may be maxing the pump?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 01:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sparky
You will need to post up a detailed and all inclusive current modlist.Such as... What throttle body? What IC dimensions? What injectors? Specify the fuel pump.

There are tuners here in the U.S. that can do yo an EMail flash that is spectacular. Just to name a few, we have Mellon Tune, tscompusa, Jester, 4WS, ER, Bryan@ GST, and etc. these guys are experts.
thanks for the mention Sparky!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tonba
That power seems a little over inflated already for that turbo/setup on 98RON.

Regardless, you should see a gain for E85. Even if you keep boost at the same level as you can run more timing, and E85 naturally increases cylinder pressures.

Perhaps fuel system isnt up to the job?? You really need some 1450cc injectors and a double pumper to make good use of that turbo.
If you are tring to say the red cant make power on low oct without huge amounts of fuel you are mistaking. I am on FIC 1050cc Inj and I don't think I have come near maxing them out yet. Thats what you would have to ask Tscompusa about. But on a dynojet uncorrected with knock due to heat soaking and not getting good airflow I made almost the same power at 27 psi. on crap 93oct.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

^ no. I'm suggesting that what he is running is holding back the setup on e85.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:56 PM

Hi all, the fuel system is is ready for e85 it has two bosch 044 external fuel pumps with walbro and the fuel pressure is pressurised to allow the injectors to flow around 1400cc...the fuel system isnt the problem

my mechanics have looked it over and its the intercooler which has a 4 PSI pressure drop @ 24 PSI and at 27 PSI it showed a 7 PSI drop

in addition they told me they knew there was a problem when they upped the boost it made less power....so the boost was infact increased but the higher it went the lower the power figure...

Last edited by Stealthmatt; Apr 6, 2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
7psi drop from 25psi stealthmatt? perhaps you should also look into putting more preload on the wastegate actuator also if you haven't already.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:38 PM

actually my bad i got clarification at 24 PSI it was seeing a 4PSI pressure drop at 27 PSI boost it was seeing a 7 PSI drop, so looks like the inter cooler can only handle about 20 PSI :P

Quick Reply: E85 Tune - no gain vs pump