Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

E85 Tune - no gain vs pump

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 Tune - no gain vs pump

Hi all,

I had my car tuned today, its a 2.2L stroked motor with evo red, and my tuner (they built the car too) told me that it didn't make any more power on e85 the orginal tuned figure was 292kw on pump at 25PSI

Its a street driven daily, but i am very disappointed, they belive that the engine has a bottle neck....either the catalytic converter (which is a high flow 5.5inch) or the intercooler (which is a plazmaman direct bolt on intercooler with hot and cold side piping kit done)

I don't see how it can make the same power when E85 is a more oxygenated enriched fuel? can some one explain to me why i might be getting the same results vs pump? is there any merit on what they are saying even though the fuel is better?

humf not happy
Old Apr 1, 2011, 03:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
time to find a new tuner. bottleneck or not you can turn the boost up and make more power on e85 vs lower oct fuel.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
time to find a new tuner. bottleneck or not you can turn the boost up and make more power on e85 vs lower oct fuel.
yeah they said they didnt want to up the boost if their is a bottleneck preventing it and want to find the bottle neck before tuning it further.....

I just would have though even if there is a bottleneck the e85 should still show an improvement?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Stealthy, without seeing the maps/printouts, i'd have to assume they've just sorted the AFR, checked timing on spool and left the timing from 100 load onwards the same as pump.

Add another 5-7psi to your boost pressure, up the timing to suit and hold on.

What cooler/piping are you running mate?
What dump/front/cat/exhaust?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthmatt
yeah they said they didnt want to up the boost if their is a bottleneck preventing it and want to find the bottle neck before tuning it further.....

I just would have though even if there is a bottleneck the e85 should still show an improvement?
whats afrs ???
Old Apr 1, 2011, 03:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by todd6027
whats afrs ???
Air Fuel Ratio.....
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
How much power is 292kw and how thick is that core? I am a lazy american and dont feel like checking. The reason I ask is cores are limited to the amount of air they can move. A stock Evo taps out at 390whp almost every time. I have forced it to make more with a large turbo but it took 10psi extra for 20whp.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Time to find a new tuner.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
How much power is 292kw and how thick is that core? I am a lazy american and dont feel like checking. The reason I ask is cores are limited to the amount of air they can move. A stock Evo taps out at 390whp almost every time. I have forced it to make more with a large turbo but it took 10psi extra for 20whp.
292kw=391hp
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

New tuner
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Just the timing change alone with boost the same should make a large power difference on E85.

These posts are hard to respond to correctly though as we aren't getting the full picture from the tuner.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

I gained over 20whp by just adding E85. Didn't touch the tune at all but that's starting at 336whp. Ended up at 398whp after tuning. Seems like you had to gain something. Sounds like you need a new tuner or new shop.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
292kw = 391hp
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tscompusa

so not true. a clogged cat can severely limit power, regardless of fuel. and if you have a clogged cat, sometimes you CANT turn the boost up. adding more timing can also cause knock because there is so much back pressure.

if they think there is something wrong, it takes 10 minutes to unbolt the cat from the downpipe and take a peek inside. i've seen it more then a few times. the high flow cats aren't the greatest construction...

if they think something is wrong, your better off looking for a problem before finding someone who is going to turn the boost up and not check and see if it is running right.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
so not true. a clogged cat can severely limit power, regardless of fuel. and if you have a clogged cat, sometimes you CANT turn the boost up. adding more timing can also cause knock because there is so much back pressure.

if they think there is something wrong, it takes 10 minutes to unbolt the cat from the downpipe and take a peek inside. i've seen it more then a few times. the high flow cats aren't the greatest construction...

if they think something is wrong, your better off looking for a problem before finding someone who is going to turn the boost up and not check and see if it is running right.
I know what a clogged cat/exhaust does.. I had one before which actually limited my ability to even get past 17psi on a 95 tsi before back in 2001.

And yes, I would not proceed tuning the vehicle with an issue like this either.. but if the shop knew what they were doing this thread would not exist and the customer would have been well educated and knew what to do to fix the issue and continue on without posting a troubleshooting thread on a public forum along with their unsatisfied dyno results.

As you just exercised by saying a quick way to test the issue, they clearly didn't do or think to do it at the time.

My post above was under the impression it was just an incompetent tuner, as they are not rare in his country.
Thats why I actually tuned about 20-30 Australians on this forum for free before i became a vendor.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Apr 1, 2011 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: E85 Tune - no gain vs pump