Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP3794 + EnglishRacing 2.4

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
If thats the case then theoretically wouldn't it mean that same combo could spool an 86 even faster?
I think thats what it means yes. Since I never did a 4th gear pull on the 86 other than the street (I cant find a log) the only data I have is when both were 715whp at 32psi in 3rd. I will also add the overlay for the 794 and the 812 which was 38psi.

This is the log for 794 in 3rd (3586)-

Aaron
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a 4th gear (3794) to 3rd gear (3586) that shows the same power at less boost which supports what everyone would think about big vs smaller-

Here is another one at high boost that seems to indicate otherwise. The only reason I say seems to, is that now I realise I probably didnt have enough load in the load control and was in 3rd so the boost didnt ramp the way it would have in 4th for a fair comparison-

Last edited by JohnBradley; Apr 8, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a huge difference in power, if they indeed spool the same the FP3794 is a winer
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:30 AM
Former Sponsor

What are the parameters that the dynojet uses to calculate with? Also what is the inertia weight of the rolls? Did you hve the pau on the dynojet for the 3586?? The parasitic curves may be off which can yeild drastic changes in hp as roller speed increases. Adding load to the rollers should not gain hp, it should help make more tq. though since the spoolup would be a bit sooner..This is under the assumption there is no wheelsin though

Either way the new snail looks to be working very well, awesome numbers.

Last edited by PeteyTurbo@KHC; Apr 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Nice work arron! Congrats!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dynoing in 2 different gears and 2 different ambient temps doesnt make this test very scientific or accurate.. The car will show completely different power curves from 1 gear to the next.. While i love both turbos this testing shows that 1 is extinct which is not the case.. There will be MANY upset people who swap an 86 looking for power with no loss of spool if they follow these results.. Mark my words...

here is a quote from the guy who builds these turbos when i asked is this physically possible....

Robert..

"comparing different turbos in different gears with different ambient temps is not a valid comparison"
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Dynoing in 2 different gears and 2 different ambient temps doesnt make this test very scientific or accurate.. The car will show completely different power curves from 1 gear to the next.. While i love both turbos this testing shows that 1 is extinct which is not the case.. There will be MANY upset people who swap an 86 looking for power with no loss of spool if they follow these results.. Mark my words...

here is a quote from the guy who builds these turbos when i asked is this physically possible....

Robert..

"comparing different turbos in different gears with different ambient temps is not a valid comparison"

Got to agree with Mike on this one - it's no way an accurate comparison...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still some pretty sick power and spool Aaron - congrats on piecing it all together and congrats to everyone involved with the build!

I want a ride in this bish when I come down next
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Robert..

Actualy aside from ambient temps, peak output should be about the same if the tune held its course between pulls. Thats why I asked about dynojet specifics, since I am not familliar how they do the power calculations with a PAU. I know on a mustang dyno if you are increasing load the hp should not change if you have an accurate parasitic loading curve for the vehicle and dyno that covers the entire sweep for both speed ranges..What we are looking at could very well be from artifical parasitics. As far as the spoolup I think everyone would agree 4th gear will yeild quicker spool and more load would only make it quicker yet, but it shouldn't have anything to do with the hp on the top end unless he was spinning tires.

Last edited by PeteyTurbo@KHC; Apr 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Those last 2 comparisons are within 10* ambient temps and 10% humidity. While it is not exact it is very close. I can post the 3rd gear to 3rd gear if you want to see that as well with the conditions as close as possible (aforementioned).

This supports what I already said earlier though, if I had run the 86 in 4th as well the extra load makes the difference. The 94 whips through the pull too fast and the boost doesnt ramp up fast enough in lower gear. We see this in the quads all the time, they dont get enough load in low gear because of spin normally they arent at full power till 4th.

This is why I am starting to see what Dave said about the Mustang and its load control and using higher gear for all the tests. All my data is based around 3rd gear because it always worked, now I am past that point so I have no real comparison. Load control could have made it more comparable. Petey, the Dynojet uses a ramped percentage I am not sure on the actual load value on top of the 2500 (x2) rollers and Linx belt locking it together.

Put it on the street and it makes all the difference, its 21psi at 4200 just like the 86. I cant explain it, its what it does. There is no bottle in the car, I didnt modify the MIVEC further, the change is the turbo and testpipe dump.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Apr 8, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

even if its not a perfect comparrison I do appreciate the effort. I wont trade in my 86 for the 94...atleast for now I wont.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

For a street car I would not recommend the 94 as a choice if the other one was the 86. At 26psi I am now down about 50whp, it doesnt even out till around 30psi. The 86 is alot more fun on the street.

Aaron
Old Apr 9, 2011, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Its late in FL.. I misread the 2 pulls on the same sheet as overlays.. Even though i read it all 2x.. I dont know how physically the 94 can spool the SAME as an 86.. post an overlay when you can.. Im interested to see it.. Thanks!!
I did the same thing. I was thinking wtf is Aaron smoking! haha.

Thanks for sharing Aaron! congrats.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
.... wtf is Aaron smoking!....
Is Aaron smoking? Is Ernie smoking. What's up?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was just saying I looked at that first dyno plot and thought it was a comparison between turbos, not a comparison between gears. Mike and I made the same mistake while reading the post. I took comfort in that I wasn't the only one mistaken. No smoking :/

time for the EFR9180 Aaron.

Quick Reply: FP3794 + EnglishRacing 2.4