Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

AMS F1-I Intake Manifold Dyno results tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS F1-I Intake Manifold Dyno results tomorrow

So I am sitting on the balcony of my hotel room in Chicago waiting to go to AMS tomorrow afternoon for tuning.

There has not been many threads on this manifold so I thought I would post my results. This comparison will be far from scientific but I thought some would like to see the results anyways.

The car previously made 414whp 347tq on a conservative road race tune. Tuning by Chris Black 24psi 93oct. Dyno chart in photo album. I will repost the old chart here tomorrow with the new charts.

The short list

Autronic PnP SMC 1.99
2.0l 9:1 .020 bore
Head ported and polished
WORKS 269 Cams
Apexi RX6R TCW77-P22 turbo kit
Perrin IC
Stock Intake Mani
Leaky stock Throttle Body
Stock Coils/Magnacore wires

I added the following

AMS F1-I Intake Manifold
Boomba Throttle Body
SparkTech Pro CDI COP

I am having it retuned with 93 and 110oct.

Bigger cams are next...suggestions?
Old May 23, 2011, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

In for the results, good luck
Old May 23, 2011, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

GSC S2's
Old May 23, 2011, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck
Old May 24, 2011, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, S2's is what I have been planning.
Old May 24, 2011, 05:55 AM

i love my f1 on my car.it looks huge on the car
Old May 24, 2011, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U are gonna love it I gain about 70whp on 93oct
Old May 24, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Well, we had some issues, as expected. First it was misfiring as soon as Mitch got into boost. So he gapped the plugs down to .020 and that cleared it up. Mitch was able to get the 93oct map finished. Put down 398whp and 328tq on the Mustang dyno, Mitch said that would be around 450whp on the Dynojet that the last tune was done on. So gained around 35whp and you can really feel it on the butt dyno! Mitch did an outstanding job tuning the entire map, the drivability is really superb. I am very impressed. Ill get the map up as soon as I get a minute to scan it, the run was shut down around 7500, redline is 8700rpm. All the power is made up top with this turbo so the map doesn't show that off as much as the old one. I forgot about the whole different dyno thing. It kind of drives me crazy because you can't exactly compare dyno charts from one type to the next. It would be bad enough the runs were different day/weather. Oh well, it feels faster...too bad I don't drag race, at least then I could get measurable results.

When we switched to 110oct, Mitch noticed almost immediately that there is a problem somewhere. The power was falling off way to early. Mitch said I have a restriction somewhere. He said it was like the car had a catalytic converter. After looking at the new map the power starts to fall off up top where it didn't before. I can't feel that at all though, it revs up so quick to 8700rpm it ridiculous. Mitch suggested, possibly a boost leak, possibly the WORKS Cams causing the restriction, or the turbo could be going out. Anyway you shake it, this is going to cost me money. They did lean towards the turbo going out but I am going to start with redoing a boost leak test. It was done a couple weeks ago, but we couldn't get the valve to stay on past 15psi. We didn't hear any leaks up to that point so I called it good. Then I am going to get a bigger set of cams. If those two things doesn't solve the problem...I guess a 6265 would be nice.

Overall I am very happy with the manifold and throttle body, made a noticeable difference to me, which is really the important part. Mitch was saying that the boomba's are finicky at idle. He didn't seem completely happy with the way my car idles, but it seems good to me. He must try to get every car to idle like a Lexus. He really stressed that the larger cams would wake up the power band immensely. So now I am going to be obsessing over Kelford 272's or S2's, all while in the back of my mind thinking I am screwed and I need a new turbo setup. It never ends...but I love it!
Old May 25, 2011, 07:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by casper980
Well, we had some issues, as expected. First it was misfiring as soon as Mitch got into boost. So he gapped the plugs down to .020 and that cleared it up. Mitch was able to get the 93oct map finished. Put down 398whp and 328tq on the Mustang dyno, Mitch said that would be around 450whp on the Dynojet that the last tune was done on. So gained around 35whp and you can really feel it on the butt dyno! Mitch did an outstanding job tuning the entire map, the drivability is really superb. I am very impressed. Ill get the map up as soon as I get a minute to scan it, the run was shut down around 7500, redline is 8700rpm. All the power is made up top with this turbo so the map doesn't show that off as much as the old one. I forgot about the whole different dyno thing. It kind of drives me crazy because you can't exactly compare dyno charts from one type to the next. It would be bad enough the runs were different day/weather. Oh well, it feels faster...too bad I don't drag race, at least then I could get measurable results.

When we switched to 110oct, Mitch noticed almost immediately that there is a problem somewhere. The power was falling off way to early. Mitch said I have a restriction somewhere. He said it was like the car had a catalytic converter. After looking at the new map the power starts to fall off up top where it didn't before. I can't feel that at all though, it revs up so quick to 8700rpm it ridiculous. Mitch suggested, possibly a boost leak, possibly the WORKS Cams causing the restriction, or the turbo could be going out. Anyway you shake it, this is going to cost me money. They did lean towards the turbo going out but I am going to start with redoing a boost leak test. It was done a couple weeks ago, but we couldn't get the valve to stay on past 15psi. We didn't hear any leaks up to that point so I called it good. Then I am going to get a bigger set of cams. If those two things doesn't solve the problem...I guess a 6265 would be nice.

Overall I am very happy with the manifold and throttle body, made a noticeable difference to me, which is really the important part. Mitch was saying that the boomba's are finicky at idle. He didn't seem completely happy with the way my car idles, but it seems good to me. He must try to get every car to idle like a Lexus. He really stressed that the larger cams would wake up the power band immensely. So now I am going to be obsessing over Kelford 272's or S2's, all while in the back of my mind thinking I am screwed and I need a new turbo setup. It never ends...but I love it!

The AMS F1-i Intake manifold is a work of art. The engineering behind this manifold is amazing. Super cool looking manifold as well!

-Josh
Old May 25, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Casper,

Thanks for coming in! Sorry race gas didn't turn out right but we will get it where you want in time.

I really enjoyed tuning the car! Unique setup for sure and a lot of fun to tune.

Let me know if you need anything!

Mitch M

Originally Posted by casper980

Last edited by Magnumpsi; May 25, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Magnumpsi
Hey Casper,

Thanks for coming in! Sorry race gas didn't turn out right but we will get it where you want in time.

I really enjoyed tuning the car! Unique setup for sure and a lot of fun to tune.

Let me know if you need anything!

Mitch M
Mitch,
No worries, I will have it back to you in a month or two, with some larger cams and an extremely thorough boost leak test and we can try it again

The car is really running nice, I can't thank you enough.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When i do boost leak tests i shoot for at least as high as my setup is going to be tuned for. Start there cheap and simple.
A lot of times a normal worm clamp and some pressure from your hand will keep it on the inlet without damaging it like a tbolt could.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
rub a little hairspray on the coupler and double worm clamp does the trick for me
Old May 25, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X2 on the hairspray i use that on all my couplers , never tried it for a leak test though haha!
Old May 28, 2011, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

How would the AMS manifold compare to a ported stock manifold wrt cost and performance. I just bought my Evo last week and found out I have an Ebay 4g63 and have been advised its junk...LOL

Quick Reply: AMS F1-I Intake Manifold Dyno results tomorrow