Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

TopSpeed Tuned Evo VIII w/MIVEC 2.0L Peakboost 35R 93oct **Details & Pics Inside!**

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TopSpeed Tuned Evo VIII w/MIVEC 2.0L Peakboost 35R 93oct **Details & Pics Inside!**

Hey fellow Evo enthusiasts,

Today at TopSpeed Motorsports we had yet another success story. This customer brought us his beautiful Rally Red Evo 8 to get his issues sorted out and finally get his car running like it should after many months of not being able to enjoy it properly. Unfortunately when we received the car it had multiple issues and wouldn't even run with the map sensor plugged in.

Looking over the car, our tech found that the large main engine harness ground bolting onto the top of the transmission had not being secured. This in turn caused the secondary harness ground off of the cam sensor to have way too much current running through it and melted the protective covering. To fix this, we had to open up the chassis harness and find all the burnt wires. In the end we had to replace about 10" of melted ground wire.

With the car now having proper grounds, it was time to tackle the MAP sensor issue. Right away our Calibration Expert noticed the car was equipped with a 3 bar map sensor. This 3 bar map sensor requires different map scaling to the ECU. It was clear and obvious that the previous tune was not scaled or setup right for this sensor, hence the reason the car would not run with it plugged in.

Not wanting to waste time with the previous tune, our calibrator loaded in a TopSpeed base calibrations using the Tephra V7 mods. Right away the car fired up and idled with no issues even with the MAP sensor plugged in. After spending some time with driveability and getting the injectors scaled in properly it was time to make our first WOT pull on the dyno. Right away as soon as the car got into boost we knew there was a problem. Sure enough there was.

The cars idle air control motor had broken off the throttle body under boost. Upon further inspection we noticed there was only one bolt holding the IAC onto the throttle body. This one bolt was still there with part of the IAC attached to it. What was interesting was the other two bolts were there, but had been sheared off from most likely being over tightened into the throttle body. After removing the throttle body and extracting the broken bolts we were back in business.

From here on out the tune went flawless and to the book.

To quote Doug our calibrator "I am very impressed with this Evo. For a stock head with only the small Greddy 264 cams this car makes great power. Not to mention it is without a doubt one of the best driving modified evo's I feel I have done."

Here's a quick mod list..

Built 2.0 (Wiseco/Eagle)
ACL bearings
Peakboost Tubular Gt35r .82 a/r Kit
FIC 1000cc
GREDDY Easy Cams 264
ARP Headstuds
Hondata Intake Gasket
Fluidamper
TTR FMIC
TTR UICP
AMS LICP
3 inch intake w/MAF
Tial BOV
3" HKS HIGH POWER Exhaust
Aeromotive Fuel Rail
Walbro 255
Built Bushwhacker Tranny
Evo 3 bar map sensor
ACT HDSS clutch and Flywheel
Blitz SBC- iD EBC

Finally onto some pictures of this beautiful car..

Onto the graph..

Thanks for reading!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
-Josh
Josh.Chi@TopSpeedtuned.com
2130 Brandon Trail
Alpharetta, GA 30004
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Good work guys!! But I cant see the graph either way, awesome customer service...
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im so glad you guys fixed those problems..what a relief. I still have so much to do on the exterior lol.

But let me say TopSpeed are a great group of people. I had to drop off my car and go to work but every step of the way I got a phone call getting updates on my car. They answered all my questions and provided a great tune. Getting some bigger cams and looking to do a 110 octane map so Ill deff see you guys in another couple months. I cant wait to pick my evo up!! Thanks again
Old Jul 6, 2011, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Drifting Away
Good work guys!! But I cant see the graph either way, awesome customer service...
Thank you, sir. I can see the graph just fine.. Still can't see it?

Originally Posted by WICKED8
Im so glad you guys fixed those problems..what a relief. I still have so much to do on the exterior lol.

But let me say TopSpeed are a great group of people. I had to drop off my car and go to work but every step of the way I got a phone call getting updates on my car. They answered all my questions and provided a great tune. Getting some bigger cams and looking to do a 110 octane map so Ill deff see you guys in another couple months. I cant wait to pick my evo up!! Thanks again
I'm glad we got all your issues sorted out and that you'll be able to drive the car once again. Definitely upgrade your cams with some springs and retainers ASAP and come back for a re-tune! I'm sure it'll make much more power. Also forget about the 110 and throw some E85 to the mix.

-Josh
Old Jul 6, 2011, 03:20 PM

nice numbers.I agree go e85. A local station had it for 85 cents a gallon on earth day so i filled up two 55 gallon drums
Old Jul 6, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

What boost?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Silvermike
What boost?
25 PSI peak

Good question

Thanks

~Cicio
Old Jul 7, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Yea it was just blocked at work hahaha, nice numbers solid tuning good job guys..
Old Jul 7, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

same thing happened to me with the burned up ground on the cam sensor. I don't have any pics of it but it burned it's way up through the harness like that too. Here's a post from it happening to someone esle too: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8094161-post13.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fire-help.html

Last edited by JakeTheVIII; Jul 7, 2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 06:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Drifting Away
Yea it was just blocked at work hahaha, nice numbers solid tuning good job guys..
Ahh gotcha. Thanks man.

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
same thing happened to me with the burned up ground on the cam sensor. I don't have any pics of it but it burned it's way up through the harness like that too. Here's a post from it happening to someone esle too: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8094161-post13.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fire-help.html
This car came in with the bolt BARELY securing the main ground. Holy crap! That really sucks for that guy! Makes you think what if this customers engine harness caught on fire...

-Josh
Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by opie
nice numbers.I agree go e85. A local station had it for 85 cents a gallon on earth day so i filled up two 55 gallon drums
WTF?!?! I wish my local station did that! I would've done the same!

-Josh
Old Jul 7, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ X1000000000

Good work guys. Detective and tuning.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
^ X1000000000

Good work guys. Detective and tuning.