Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Black Boost Holding Skillz

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HIS Motorsports
Im not denying that it is pushing the turbo past its limit, but it is pretty amazing to see that bad boy 42 psi at the rpm.
ya that shows the turbos built exceptionally well to withstand that kind of abuse. FP makes great products.

have you driven this car yourself on the street? im sure it feels great. its such a fun combination.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
ya that shows the turbos built exceptionally well to withstand that kind of abuse. FP makes great products.

have you driven this car yourself on the street? im sure it feels great. its such a fun combination.
No I havent drove it at those settings and I will soon though! I agree with you on the FP turbos!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Actually Dynojet software smoothing does not effect boost line. Unlike other logging software they see no need to smooth that line. I do not either, because there is no stable boost unless controlled by a external wastegate. Even a stock turbo boost curve line will not be stable on my dyno software with a manual boot controller and I can def. show you that.

So that noodle your seeing is not smooth, because there is no smoothing added like mustang dynos do.
This is like a 5 psi fluctuation within 500rpm, it's not the smoothing. And mustang software allows you to select a smoothing value (filter) for any input, including no filter at all..
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

When you have a car you can do it on plot Emap and then tell me its pretty amazing.

The backpressure on that little turbo is probably outstanding. 1:1 no mas.

Mitch M
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Actually Dynojet software smoothing does not effect boost line. Unlike other logging software they see no need to smooth that line. I do not either, because there is no stable boost unless controlled by a external wastegate. Even a stock turbo boost curve line will not be stable on my dyno software with a manual boot controller and I can def. show you that.

So that noodle your seeing is not smooth, because there is no smoothing added like mustang dynos do.
Seriously?

It's not smooth because it's not smooth. The boost dips and peaks are almost +/- 5 psi and you can even see it in the power curve of the car on the same plot.

You can find smooth boost plots on other Dynojet plots all over the place, in the thousands.

I'm bowing out of this now because you are blinded by your own self righteousness.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
yea sorry dude but you should just retune it with a 3port,I could surf that boost graph!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's just the EVC making it wavy like that, I actually have one so I can give input on it. What is the Speed Pulse set at? You try it at 2 from default 4 and is it still wavy? What is offset/correction coefficient set at? It's only supposed to be good to 36psi so I'm curious if you chose to try and go beyond that (to prove it can) and if your using a boost offset map (FUN3 or FUN5)?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Fun 3 and just like I said earlier, it only has 5 rpms points to control. But my boost sensor on my dyno does do this a lot with manual boost controllers.

Here is some graphs of other boost curves.

Stock 9 turbo Hallman Manual

Stock 05 8 turbo Hallman Manual

Stock 9 turbo Turbo XS Manual

30R External wastegate Greddy Profec B boost controller

6262 External wastegate Manual Boost controller

I think the Boost sensor is not reading as well as it should.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got nothin then (other than trying new map sensor on the dyno), hopefully the other dyno operators can chime in.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool it holds that much boost, but holding boost doesn't mean power at all. Remember its a restriction...so less boost up top just means your motor flows more air. I know most people know this but if anything this could just mean the motor has lots and lots of restrictions.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

I agree, but we just thought it was really weird it held that much after fixing a couple of boost leaks.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, but we just thought it was really weird it held that much after fixing a couple of boost leaks.
Very true that boost leaks affect it big time. Honestly I am sure most of us have at least one small leak. When you are going 30psi+ its tough to not have one or two.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Very true!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
Also where did you get those retainers?
Beat me too it... I'm guessing they are A cup tit retainers. I doubt that B's or C's would clear the valve cover. :-)
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
Also where did you get those retainers?
Is retention a problem?

Quick Reply: FP Black Boost Holding Skillz