Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tahoe55's Road Race HTA3076

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Tahoe55's Road Race HTA3076

Thaine is no stranger to high performance Evolutions. For the last 2 years that he has chosen to have us service his car, help plan the stages it has gone through, we have done everything around road racing.

It started with a 2005 RS with very few mods, 3" perrin exhaust, an AMS intercooler, and Perrin Intercooler pipes. It made a modest 322 at 26psi with some Torco in the tank but more or less 92 octane.

Then we added some S1s and the same boost level yielded 360whp for track duty. This was enough to run 1:26's around PIR's road course and give a certain turbocharged Exige a good run for its money.

After this the power bug had taken hold for sure and we made the switch to a Red and SD for Thaine. This made pretty good power, https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...road-race.html and was fun. The whole time Thaine was improving the chassis setup, tire selection, ACD controller, and all the little details to make the car do what he wanted.

Unfortunately some high G cornering lead to oil starvation which took out the Red. The bottom end survived but the turbo was done and something needed to replace the Red. Of course making more power with added reliability was part of the equation. A switch to a HTA3076 in a single scroll 0.82 A/r housing was made thanks to to ETS and the rest of Thaine's mods were incorporated. We added an AMS oil pan for the baffling and added capacity to help keep the bottom end safe (an Accusump is planned down the road) at the same time making sure the turbocharger was given every benefit possible. We also added the TRE 12 disc Max Pack rear diff at the same time to help keep the power under control.

The results speak for themselves-

This was done entirely on 92 octane with no Torco added. Response was only slowed a few hundred RPM on the dynograph but on the street there was seemingly no loss in the ability of the car to gain revs.

Here is the Red thrown in for comparison at the same boost level, also on straight 92 octane.

Next season we plan to fortify the bottom end with a 2.3L and Bushmaster cylinder head to see if we cant chase down our recent JMfab test car The other advantage is getting some of that spool back that we did lose and making the car that much more of a handful to pilot.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Aug 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

For those that are curious, the few paragraphs describing the evolution of this Evolution looks something like this in a dynosheet-

Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:07 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like fun, great job as always Aaron!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Nice! Thanks for posting up the results.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has to be one fun setup. Nice results.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome set up. I'm sure the owner is very pleased!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

aaron, is this all on a 2.0? and he is going to swop to 2.3 soon?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Nice work Aaron.
At this boost level, would a 0.63 rear offer same/better spool than the Red and same peak power/torque?
Or would the increased backpressure at higher RPM cause heat/knock related issues from continued high RPM use on the track?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Benja
Nice work Aaron.
At this boost level, would a 0.63 rear offer same/better spool than the Red and same peak power/torque?
Or would the increased backpressure at higher RPM cause heat/knock related issues from continued high RPM use on the track?
Depends on the power goals, if he plans on going for that 500whp mark, he will want to go with the .82 a/r. If you have a larger discplacement motor the .82 a/r is also beneficial up top. If you plan on sticking at that 400whp mark and want an extra 200-300 difference in rpm spool the .63 will do it, but up top you may choke it out depending on the setup.

Michael
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Props To English Racing and Extreme Turbo Systems

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Depends on the power goals, if he plans on going for that 500whp mark, he will want to go with the .82 a/r. If you have a larger discplacement motor the .82 a/r is also beneficial up top. If you plan on sticking at that 400whp mark and want an extra 200-300 difference in rpm spool the .63 will do it, but up top you may choke it out depending on the setup.

Michael
Hi guys, sorry for the delay in posting. Props to Aaron and the boys at English racing along with Michael at Extreme Turbo Systems. These two shops are the the best in the Northwest.

Aaron seems like a mind reader but the truth is he listens to you when you talk about what your goals are. There are much faster EVOs out there than mine but I can run mine for 25 minutes at a time at full throttle especially since we have mitigated the high G oil starvation issue for the time being. Planning on a couple of track days to sort out the new power and drivetrain.

As to the .63 vs .82, that was a tough choice since I'm running S1 cams. In the end, I went with Aaron and Michael's recommendation based on my eventual 2.3L mod plans. Time and testing will tell if it is the right choice for 2.0L on short tracks like PIR and ORP, however should be perfect for Pacific Raceway. I predict that I will get too addicted to the extra power to give it back for a few hundred RPMs of quicker spool. However, if there is ever a HTA3076 with a .63 A/R housing handy, I'll volunteer the EVO2GO car for some Dyno comparison. Aaron and I have been pretty religous to document how the mods perform backed up with dyno results so the next guy who wants to road race/HPDE his EVO VIII can benefit from our experiments.

I'm also looking forward to reporting positive results on the TRE Maxpac diff but that will be another post in the appropriate section
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

How was the red at ORP? Clockwise, what gear did you come out of T2 and T13 with the red?

Did you get a chance to take the new set-up to ORP yet?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

I believe T might be away on business, I'll try to get him to answer your questions for you
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spool4Fun
How was the red at ORP? Clockwise, what gear did you come out of T2 and T13 with the red?

Did you get a chance to take the new set-up to ORP yet?
Haven't been to orp yet, just pir and we replaced the red after it died during hard cornering. The new setup spools a little later than the red. I had to change my approach to turns 4,5,and 6. I used to go through in 4th gear but now I need to be in 3rd to keep the rpms up. I have one more track day to practice and see if I can get below 1:30 consistently. Gotta say the new power level is nice, but it won't be long before I am wanting more.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:07 AM

Nice!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I believe T might be away on business, I'll try to get him to answer your questions for you
I am on a business trip. I'm in Vegas and there is victoria Secret meeting going on next door to my conference room. Very distracting ;-)

Quick Reply: Tahoe55's Road Race HTA3076