Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

evo 9 turbo on steroids

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Broham
These are some high numbrers. I can believe the tq but the camless 414? Something isnt adding up. Uncorrected maybe
everything you see there is what it is.. what do you mean by uncorrected? and do you realize evo 9 cams are bigger then evo 8 by quite a bit?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom, I'm not doubting your tuning skills. I'm just shocked at how much power this car is making with these parts. There is a key part shooting this hp up, I don't know what part it is or how it is coming together. Is it the porting of the intake manifold and tb? It cant explain this kind of power on that turbo.

If he is making 414 without s2s or e85. what will he break then? 500? According to your numbers 490-500 should be no problem.

Last edited by Broham; Oct 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Broham
if he is making 414 without s2s or e85. what will he break then? 500? According to your numbers 490-500 should be no problem
probably around 450 or so. wont know until we try. ill be sure to update the thread when we do it. owner went to Europe for 10 days so it wont be updated for a bit.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I will install some parts. I'd like to see what happens at 30 psi with my combo and a black. I was hesitant it'd break 450 but after seeing the possibilities of the stock 9 turbo, 500 is looking very possible on black
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skochur
power figures are definitely impressive to say the least...as far as the bov goes, he loves it-for what reason i have no idea, well i do but it does not make too much sense when your chasing power...

when we vboxing your evo, dude?

Very soon
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idk whats so hard to believe the numbers? My evo8 with with a built bottom end put down 409 whp on 26 psi on a evo9 turbo. Search my post to see vd dyno graphs. Good numbers! Enjoy the car. I also pulled 2 cars on a 6.0 gto that was trapping 119 mph.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
and do you realize evo 9 cams are bigger then evo 8 by quite a bit?
Only 1 Evo 9 cam is different then the Evo 8.

Evo 8

248°/248° 9.80/9.32

Evo 9

256°/248° 10.05/9.32
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
Only 1 Evo 9 cam is different then the Evo 8.

Evo 8

248°/248° 9.80/9.32

Evo 9

256°/248° 10.05/9.32
good info. ill be honest and say i didn't know that. so the one cam that's bigger is the mivec cam correct?

i wish i had a evo 9 after tuning mivec on so many of these cars, its just a great system in general.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4doorbullit
Idk whats so hard to believe the numbers? My evo8 with with a built bottom end put down 409 whp on 26 psi on a evo9 turbo. Search my post to see vd dyno graphs. Good numbers! Enjoy the car. I also pulled 2 cars on a 6.0 gto that was trapping 119 mph.
I guess it's just tough to believe this car is allegedly making numbers that most cars running e85 and similar mods are making with 94 octane and stock cams. I'm not saying impossible just improbable. More than anything I'm just wanting the tuner or owner to help us all make sense of it. I guess a timeslip would help explain things too. Also I've pulled 2 cars on a '09 911 turbo. Saying that doesn't mean squat!! Could have been at the drive through at taco bell.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4xforce
I guess it's just tough to believe this car is allegedly making numbers that most cars running e85 and similar mods are making with 94 octane and stock cams. I'm not saying impossible just improbable. More than anything I'm just wanting the tuner or owner to help us all make sense of it. I guess a timeslip would help explain things too. Also I've pulled 2 cars on a '09 911 turbo. Saying that doesn't mean squat!! Could have been at the drive through at taco bell.
were gonna put it on a real dyno once we finish the meth injection tune so that should seal the deal of approval.

hes had it on the dyno before.. its not your average evo. it puts down high numbers compared to others. i did however do the entire tune from scratch. the other tuner took a different approach in extracting power on 93 then we did.. ours of course show higher gains.

the intake manifold + tb + dump help it a lot. i think it also has a light weight driveshaft.. other then that i dont know what makes it have such high numbers. ecu boost certainly helps as well on smaller frame turbos.

with a smoothing of even 10 its still over 400 on virtual dyno.. and anyone who uses virtual dyno frequently knows a smoothing of 10 actually starts showing %'s lower then actual dynojet.

with a smoothing of 1 there are no spikes present anywhere so graph wise its definitely legit. timing & RPM axis is what causes the mild hump uptop where it peaks hp.

he did mention though i set it 19lbs higher weight .. (not on purpose) so deduct 2hp 2tq from the numbers.

lets just say its at 400 and if it doesn't dyno near 400 or over 400 then there we go. but i have a feeling its going to go over 400 on a real dynojet once we adjust the boost curve after it gets on the dyno since dynojets lower boost as soon as you get on them unlike a mustang where its more real world accuracy.

did i answer your questions for the most part or do you have more?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

That'll suffice Tom. Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

heres an even stronger pull i found and i reduced the weight 19 pounds on this one as well.

smoothing of 10 for reference which actually makes it read 2-5% lower then a dynojet. still over 400.

Last edited by tscompusa; Oct 14, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

damn i need to go do some pulls with my car on the VD....nice job Tom.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4xforce
The lightweight mods like the reduction of rotating mass and drag will increase the production of Hp available at the wheels. Which essentially lowers the mechanical loss on the car for example; as Tom said the drive shaft, brakes were huge. Air-conditioning also reduces weight and drag on the motor. It is not one deciding factor or mod, it is the totality of the circumstances that make it what it is. Not to mention the attention to detail on the car like fact that I use t-bolt clamps so I don't leak, and I use high temp RTV on all flanges on the exhaust to ensure no leaks. Mods like evap/egr, solid diff mounts and the mustache eliminator take weight off the "top" of the car.

That being said that's not even all of the weight reduction mods. The skeptics do not realize the amount of research that went into the modding process. It was to the point, I had Adam@MAPerformance calling vendors to have their coilovers weighed exactly because the fedex weights would not suffice.

From my posts you should have gotten that the I have:
Lightweight rotors
Driveshaft
No Egr/Evap
Aluminum mounts/and mustache eliminator
No AC
Coilovers
ETC....

The car weighs 2960 with No driver. It is a light car, many of which are rotating mass. I have spend a lot of $$ and time on the car. Every part was researched and the front brakes are the Baer, lightest full sized front rotor (just to show you the thought process that went into my modding). I have a spread sheet of all of the weight savings over stock. I weighed every part. Not your average evo.

You pulled 2 cars on a 09 911 turbo, 6MT or auto?? From a stop or a roll? Those are 118 trap cars, and the boogie up top. What have you done on the 1320? better than 118?

The car I ran was a race shop owners shop car. Cool *** guy and fast *** car. Hopefully he will run me on race gas when I am on meth.

Wifi is scarce where I am, so I will chime in when I can.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

I see you're in northern NJ. Which gas station do you get your fuel from?

Quick Reply: evo 9 turbo on steroids