Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tscomptuned 93 oct FP Red!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011 | 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Since the car has a 100% stock motor and no cams, there is NO reason the knock setting should have been adjusted. Adjusting the knock tables should only be reserved for built motors and/or noisy valvetrain due to aftermarket cams.
Old Oct 17, 2011 | 11:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
Since the car has a 100% stock motor and no cams, there is NO reason the knock setting should have been adjusted. Adjusting the knock tables should only be reserved for built motors and/or noisy valvetrain due to aftermarket cams.
car has phantom knock and i removed it thats all there is to it.. what more is there to say? you trying to say you think it has cams? ill ask the owner to open the valve cover and take a pic if so.

i agree it shouldn't be as noisey as it is.. but it is and there's nothing i can do about it.

ive tuned fully built engines with no balance shafts, hard mounts, etc.. that i never had to adjust knock settings on.. so there you go.

chances are something is mechanically foul in the vehicle.. downpipe hitting oil pan, something causing some abnormal vibrations to tip the sensor off..

maybe even sensor torqued wrong (something i learned from another thread on here).. or maybe just a stupid sensor in general.

car was tuned previously by ER and they also had to adjust the hell out of the sensors when it had stock turbo over a year ago.
Old Oct 17, 2011 | 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tscompusa
car has phantom knock and i removed it thats all there is to it.. what more is there to say? you trying to say you think it has cams? ill ask the owner to open the valve cover and take a pic if so.

i agree it shouldn't be as noisey as it is.. but it is and there's nothing i can do about it.

ive tuned fully built engines with no balance shafts, hard mounts, etc.. that i never had to adjust knock settings on.. so there you go.

chances are something is mechanically foul in the vehicle.. downpipe hitting oil pan, something causing some abnormal vibrations to tip the sensor off..

maybe even sensor torqued wrong (something i learned from another thread on here).. or maybe just a stupid sensor in general.

car was tuned previously by ER and they also had to adjust the hell out of the sensors when it had stock turbo over a year ago.
I never alluded that it had cams. And I dont think it does.

I just said a stock motor with No cams does NOT need to have the knock filters adjusted.

Yes, there is many built motors that dont need knock adjustment.

If something is mechanically foul in the vehicle, then fix that. Just dont adjust the knock tables to hide it, because if theres real knock, the stock ECUs knock system wont be able to pull timing when needed.
Old Oct 17, 2011 | 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
I never alluded that it had cams. And I dont think it does.

I just said a stock motor with No cams does NOT need to have the knock filters adjusted.

Yes, there is many built motors that dont need knock adjustment.

If something is mechanically foul in the vehicle, then fix that. Just dont adjust the knock tables to hide it, because if theres real knock, the stock ECUs knock system wont be able to pull timing when needed.
customer wanted it done. he was well aware the noise levels were not normal. I told him about 50 times. maybe to lazy to thoroughly inspect the car? dont know.

if i thought it was that dangerous or risky i wouldn't do it.. car been running like this for years now. compression is very good and engine is very healthy.. just doesn't have the luxury of the full ability of the knock sensor anymore (questionable - multipliers are still within range). tuned many EMS that dont even have knock sensors. good safety option? yes. but it can also make or break a car in the case of tipping off false knock..

the sensors only as smart as you program it to be.

once you start changing parts on these cars no matter internal or external you risk creating vibrations or noise that was not there before. its all a part of modding cars.

they make parts for these cars that simply do not fit and should not even be put into the market for resale.. these parts are usually the ones that causes these types of conditions.

whats doing it on this car? i dont know.. could be the downpipe? possibly.. i know nothing about the dc sport downpipe.. except that many people dont use it.
Old Oct 17, 2011 | 01:12 PM

I should mention the car has a twin disc and solid mounts and bushings. The DC downpipe fitment def leaves something to be desired. At least in an ACD equipped vehicle. It's on my list of things to change for sure.