Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BOOSTED TUNING Custom Remote Tune - The Mile High HKS 7460 on E85

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
BOOSTED TUNING Custom Remote Tune - The Mile High HKS 7460 on E85

Just got done remote tuning a clients car on E85 at high elevation (5500ft). Info and charts below.

03 Evo GSR

HKS GTII 7460 Turbo
AMS LICP
CBRD 3.8" FMIC
CBRD UICP
OEM JDM/IX BOV
FIC 1100 High Z Injectors
Perrin Foam Intake with Perrin Silicon Tube, factory MAF
Works Throttle body gasket and new shaft seals
Walbro 255
AMS Fuel Line
GSC S2 Cams (new grind)
GSC Beehive Springs
AEM Tru-Time Cam Gears
Spoolinup COP
DC3 dual catch cans
JMFab Tubular exhaust manifold (DEI Wrapped)
Taipan XP Divorced WG exhaust (3" TBE) - Gutted Cat
LC1 wideband
JDM 3bar MAP sensor
GM 3 port solenoid

30psi on E-85

416hp/372tq, UNCORRECTED @ 5500ft elevation

I rarely post corrected numbers, but since the client is at 5500ft elevation, I thought it might be a good idea to post them.

482hp/431tq CORRECTED
Attached Thumbnails BOOSTED TUNING Custom Remote Tune - The Mile High HKS 7460 on E85-christopher-e-85-dynos.jpg   BOOSTED TUNING Custom Remote Tune - The Mile High HKS 7460 on E85-christopher-e-85-dynos-corrected-.jpg  
Old Jan 3, 2012, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my car. Previously was on a 16G TME turbo, and the HKS 7460 is about 30hp/30tq stronger than the TiAl 10.5 on 91 pisstane. Next up will be switching to SD to try and get rid of the idle stumble at clutch in and maybe gain a few horses in the process. I also plan on degreeing the cams and seeing if there can be any gains had with cam timing.

I'm curious to drive the car down to sea level and do some pulls to see the difference between uncorrected graphs. If you live at sea level please don't tell me you made more power than me on a stock IX turbo. Using data from the logs, last night was a DA of 4,734 ft (5506 asl, 39f, 24.89 inHg and 18% humidity) which is pretty awful for trying to make hp. I suppose a dump tube would help out greatly with the increased backpressure but I'm just not willing to put up with the noise. I'd love to have a compressor map for the HKS, but I'm pretty sure I'm at the outer ring running 30psi at this altitude, which is one of the big selling points for the ball bearing center cartridge given the shaft speeds I'm asking of it.

Last edited by dude; Jan 3, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: forgot to enter corrected baro for DA
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
man that altitude is a killer for sure, still good power i sure the transiant response of the turbo feels nice with that fast spooling BB
Old Jan 4, 2012, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I for one would like to see this car driven to lower elevation then dyno.
thats a huge difference with corrected numbers..
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Torque and spool look very good for the VIII (no mivec).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I for one would like to see this car driven to lower elevation then dyno.
thats a huge difference with corrected numbers..
I don't put too much faith in the corrected numbers, which is why Jay posted uncorrected and corrected; we report, you decide.

I think the real numbers lie somewhere in between the two. The next time I go on a road trip to a low elevation area I will have to do some pulls to quantify what exactly the difference is.

I don't know how Brad calculates the correction in VD...and certainly SAE correction does not discern between FI and NA cars, so there has to be some discrepancy there, though I doubt nobody will argue that cars lose hp at this altitude. I know there are lots of 1/4mi calculators that adjust for et and trap speed based on altitude and that they are very accurate. It would be interesting to compare my car at sea level vs. the VD corrected graph to see how close it really is.

One thing I do know is that altitude does not discriminate, and it really favors FI cars, which surprises a lot of mustang/camaro/corvette owners out here. I've only ever seen 3 other evos in the almost 4 years that I've lived out here. What's funny is that there are 3 R35 GTR's in town and I see them all the time.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

good to see another guy from new mexico, im from Gallup, so not to far from you. nice set up, but this elevation sucks! (im at 6k+) lol btw, where do you get e85?

Last edited by TwStDeVo; Jan 4, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
nice! GM 3 port solenoid = grimmspeed 3 point solenoid?

I'll expect similar numbers myself (to the uncorrected), at around 26psi but ground level
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by dude
I don't put too much faith in the corrected numbers, which is why Jay posted uncorrected and corrected; we report, you decide.

I think the real numbers lie somewhere in between the two. The next time I go on a road trip to a low elevation area I will have to do some pulls to quantify what exactly the difference is.

I don't know how Brad calculates the correction in VD...and certainly SAE correction does not discern between FI and NA cars, so there has to be some discrepancy there, though I doubt nobody will argue that cars lose hp at this altitude. I know there are lots of 1/4mi calculators that adjust for et and trap speed based on altitude and that they are very accurate. It would be interesting to compare my car at sea level vs. the VD corrected graph to see how close it really is.

One thing I do know is that altitude does not discriminate, and it really favors FI cars, which surprises a lot of mustang/camaro/corvette owners out here. I've only ever seen 3 other evos in the almost 4 years that I've lived out here. What's funny is that there are 3 R35 GTR's in town and I see them all the time.
right, VD may be overcompensating slightly since the car is FI
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TwStDeVo
good to see another guy from new mexico, im from Gallup, so not to far from you. nice set up, but this elevation sucks! (im at 6k+) lol btw, where do you get e85?
I fill up 2ea 55 gal drums in my truck whenever I drive somewhere that has e85. There are stations in abq and santa fe. This particular batch is from walsenberg, co.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
To another fellow New Mexican
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I made 488 to the wheels uncorrected on a DJ at sea Level with the same turbo.

Seems reasonable.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
nice! GM 3 port solenoid = grimmspeed 3 point solenoid?
No it actually is a General Motors BCS. Commonly used before grimmspeed released their BCS, and it practically equivalent.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Are you running an un-altered oem maf?

if so, going to SD should help a bunch up top.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Are you running an un-altered oem maf?

if so, going to SD should help a bunch up top.
Only alterations to it was to epoxy the honeycomb to the sides and flip it upside down (and back the screw out till flush).

I have the perrin intake and silicon tube, does anyone know of a way to keep it when going to SD? Or do I have to build a DIY pipe and ditch the perrin pipe but keep the filter...

Quick Reply: BOOSTED TUNING Custom Remote Tune - The Mile High HKS 7460 on E85