Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Disappointing tune?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
numbers are a little low but I dont think its horrible. Too many variables we cant know could play a factor. Could you have lower compression from a worn engine, slipping clutch, etc? Dont mask it just yet by letting a tuner BUMP up values in your ecu just because you are looking for a certain number on your dyno sheet. Before you complain I would adress any possible mechanical issues. If your car is not in good shape a tuner is not a magician. He cant turn chicken sh&t into chicken salad.

my .02, g/l with your tune
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
As i posted in this thread earlier

"I understand that you only paid the shop to "Tune" the car however the tuner should have realized something was not right and consulted you about it.

Of course you would of had to pay to have the car checked out, but to just give it back to you with no communication is BS..."
Agreed. That was a perfect chance to take a customer who only wanted a tune and maybe turn him in to a long term customer. Who knows what Ivey's train of thought was that day.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Darksun280
Agreed. That was a perfect chance to take a customer who only wanted a tune and maybe turn him in to a long term customer. Who knows what Ivey's train of thought was that day.

on the flip side I do agree with this. If he thought the numbers were a little low compared to similar setup he has tuned then yes, he should have said something. It would have given him more business and could have made a new customer.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If we did infact tune the car and there is an issue please contact us we are here 6 days a week.

Sean

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Jul 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

damn Ivey you should have left your last post. There was nothing wrong with it.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

I called the customer I thought it was he said his car is running fine, so I dont even know if that car was tuned here. With no name it's hard to say.

If you guys did as many cars as I do on a daily basis and you see some of the stuff we have to fix you wouldn't be as critical.

It's one thing to sit back and listen to a side of a story, but there is always the other side with all the mechanical issues that we have to now deal with since every car that comes here is "perfectly wrenched".

Sean

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Jul 24, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've seen the stuff first hand, Sean speaks the truth. Everyone always thinks their car is perfect and ready to go, in reality it's probably only about 60-70% of them that come through the door that are actually ready for a real tune.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
I agree with Sean as well. I dont even see most the cars i tune, but have to help customers make it right before its even tuneable sometimes. It happens quite a bit!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
At least he tuned your car OP. I got turned away because first gear was hard to get into from a stop due to a barely warped intermediate plate on my Exedy Twin. This was after I spoke with them about it beforehand and sat 5 hours in 95 traffic . I agree thought that a tuner's job is hard, as one can't tune a car to it's full potential when mechanical issues are at hand.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
At least he tuned your car OP. I got turned away because first gear was hard to get into from a stop due to a barely warped intermediate plate on my Exedy Twin. This was after I spoke with them about it beforehand and sat 5 hours in 95 traffic . I agree thought that a tuner's job is hard, as one can't tune a car to it's full potential when mechanical issues are at hand.
Not my intention to put you through anything like that if we refused the job there had to be something fairly put of whack if you Pm me I can give you details as we make notes for this exact reason. Why would we turn work away!
Thanks for being reasonable.

Sean
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

The kind of **** a tuner has to deal with is incredible. Just about every car coming in for a tune has an issue, and the owner thinks it's in perfect shape. Sometimes it's sot bad it can't be tuned. And a lot of times, you don't know what the issue is until you start tuning. Then it rears it's ugly head, and usually not until a hour or so into the tune, and you realized you've wasted a bunch of time.

There's a big difference between having a pro install/work on a car, and a hobbyist (90% of people on forums) performing the work.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

This is why I stopped tuning cars for other people. It just wasn't worth always being the first one blamed for anything.

Tune a car.... Two years later get a call "its misfiring - I think its the tune"
Tune a car.... Two years later "Its running wayyy rich" - Log car for free, tune is spot on
Tune a car.... Two years later, mechanical problem arises, "I think the tune fell out"

When you tune a few cars a day, you can't spend five hours diagnosing each one. It takes a long time to diagnose a car being low on power. The job of a tuner is to optimize the map given the current condition of the car. If there are major issues they won't continue, but if the car is acting fine they will. If he built the car or assembled all of the parts it might be a different story. But seriously everyone, get real. A consumer base like this chases good folk out of the industry.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You forgot one:

Don't tune a car.... Two years later get **** for it. .

And Sean, no worries mang, my feelings have since been rejuvenated.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

if only everyone new how to semi read a fuel and timing map. you would no the real tuners from the tuners that just wanna get things done quick to make a quick buck. NOT 100% SAYING IT to any shop or person just in general. Best of luck with your car brotha!

If it was compression tested, boost tested, fresh tight gapped plugs, new gas. there is only one people to blame if all that stuff listed is in check

Last edited by 5LEEPERISAH23I; Jul 24, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Last edited by forc3 f3d; Jul 25, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Disappointing tune?!