Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

BR 2.3 - FP Black DBB - 36psi - E85

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa

The only thing i have to do is GSC S3's. There is no more timing in the car from 6000rpm+. Downlow its alittle conservative though. There is definitely more power left with boost, but im not going to push the turbo any harder then what it is for now. im monitoring water pressure WOT and its getting pretty high.

there is no loss in spool.
What are you using as your basis for comparison when logging water pressure?

Also - Can you verify you have zero loss in spool through logs? Increasing the plenum size as you have should make a spool loss a guarantee. Not trying to calling you out, but would like to see the data for my own knowledge.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the using an o2 dump as well. I make 550ft/lb at 4500rpm and I am certain the o2 housing helped to keep the tq at that rpm when I went with s3's.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

I'll check the fork stop maybe its hitting the clutch fork

Last time i adjusted the master cylinder travel i did it per Jack transmissions guide where you adjust it until you cant push in the slave cylinder rod anymore, then adjust it back until you can push it in.. then that confirms you have max clutch pedal travel.

ive had it on jackstands before also and it is not dragging last i checked. i might need to top it off with more fluid though since a newly built trans will get alittle low after some mileage on it even if it overflows on the first time filling it up.

if you have any other recommendations that i do / check, let me know. thanks.

more info:

just idling in my driveway and trying to shift with the clutch in, 4th gear was hard as hell to go in.. it didnt wanna go in at all. the rest of the gears seemed ok though.
Driving the car 4th gear goes in fine though, and so do the rest of the gears. sometimes at a stop sign when i try to put it in 1st tho it is very rough / hard to go in..

with the car turned off it goes in every gear easy though.. before i had it rebuilt it never did this stuff before ever.
I had the same issue after I reinstalled my Shep trans. The combination of proper bleeding/pedal height adjustment made a big difference. Not sure if you already re-bled your clutch or not after the trans install.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.
What are you using as your basis for comparison when logging water pressure?

Also - Can you verify you have zero loss in spool through logs? Increasing the plenum size as you have should make a spool loss a guarantee. Not trying to calling you out, but would like to see the data for my own knowledge.
Ya ill get you some logs. Im sure alot of other guys want a real comparison as well. I wont beable to do it until i finish breaking in this trans.. i really pissed it off not allowing it to break in. i put 70 miles on it easy between yesterday and today and seems much happier now. way less notchy.

I will do the comparisons on the interstate for 100% accuracy.

Heres the car all the parts came from on my car though https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-93oct-sd.html

and when i overlay his results to other similar setups of his he lost zero spool. its a mirror image.

--

I use a Autometer water pressure gauge that i hide in my glove box. Its tapped right at the waterpipe behind the block.

its not loggable, i just watch it when i go WOT.

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
I agree with the using an o2 dump as well. I make 550ft/lb at 4500rpm and I am certain the o2 housing helped to keep the tq at that rpm when I went with s3's.
I'll drop the entire exhaust and run a tiny exhaust right off the o2 before i invest in a o2 dump.. ill probably end up doing that to the exhaust if i cant get 140 in the 1/4.

Originally Posted by wanguru
I had the same issue after I reinstalled my Shep trans. The combination of proper bleeding/pedal height adjustment made a big difference. Not sure if you already re-bled your clutch or not after the trans install.
It shifts perfect in 4th when cars moving, just not when its idling .. kind of weird. quick shift 3-4 it goes in fine.

Shouldn't really need to bleed the clutch just because you remove the transmission. all you're doing is unbolting the slave cylinder from the transmission.. as long as there is no leaks or anything it doesn't change the hydraulic system. i did not replace the clutch, only the TOB & wedge collar. pedal feels nice and stiff like it did before i removed trans.

ill double check everything though for re-assurance. maybe it needs slightly adjusted more now at the master cylinder.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

Regarding your trans notchiness, didn't you post earlier you were switching to a heavier weight gear oil for the new trans? That would make a difference in shifting. Do you notice the notchiness being any less once the car warms up? I know mine shifts a ton better once to is warmed up with Redline MT-90. Maybe your just experiencing the difference in gear oil?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good stuff tom
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Shouldn't really need to bleed the clutch just because you remove the transmission. all you're doing is unbolting the slave cylinder from the transmission.. as long as there is no leaks or anything it doesn't change the hydraulic system. i did not replace the clutch, only the TOB & wedge collar. pedal feels nice and stiff like it did before i removed trans.
How did you keep the slave cylinder rod from poping out after unbolting from the trans? These things don't like to stay in the cylinder once they are no longer propped against the clutch fork. Like I said, the re-bleeding helped after the new trans install BUT I did have other issues (lock out past 7k) and my 1st - 2nd is notchy to this day even with gentle shifts. Not sure what caused what but I know the damage has been done....
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
looks great
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
I'll check the fork stop maybe its hitting the clutch fork

Last time i adjusted the master cylinder travel i did it per Jack transmissions guide where you adjust it until you cant push in the slave cylinder rod anymore, then adjust it back until you can push it in.. then that confirms you have max clutch pedal travel.

ive had it on jackstands before also and it is not dragging last i checked. i might need to top it off with more fluid though since a newly built trans will get alittle low after some mileage on it even if it overflows on the first time filling it up.

if you have any other recommendations that i do / check, let me know. thanks.
here's more info...
http://www.teamrip.com/manual%20tran...roceedure.html
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great power and a beautiful engine bay!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Dang I been off this forum for a while. I'm glad you finally moved up to a big intake manifold and a tubular exhaust. I remember when I was trying to convince you a while back lol those are def good number gains for aftermarket to aftermarket . You still have gobs of power left on the table with the cam change and higher boost. It should be a mid 130 car for sure!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice Tom, Hope to see you running next year at the shootout.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
As I told you yesterday take it easy on it. It sounds like the tranny cables need adjusting and or as suggested above rebleeding ur clutch. If I remember correctly they don't shot peen the new gearsets like Tre does being there all new gears, there is nothing to destress. Let it break in and see if it helps if not call the shop.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fantrman
Regarding your trans notchiness, didn't you post earlier you were switching to a heavier weight gear oil for the new trans? That would make a difference in shifting. Do you notice the notchiness being any less once the car warms up? I know mine shifts a ton better once to is warmed up with Redline MT-90. Maybe your just experiencing the difference in gear oil?
No its still running the 75w90 right now it was before i tore it down. im going to put in thicker before i take it to the track though. i dont want to destroy another gear. I am not concerned about it being notchy, what im concerned about is, it flat out not wanting to go in gear and taking excessive force.. however it was fine last night when i drove it so maybe its starting to get better now.

Originally Posted by antilag_200
Good stuff tom
Thanks Warren!

Originally Posted by wanguru
How did you keep the slave cylinder rod from poping out after unbolting from the trans? These things don't like to stay in the cylinder once they are no longer propped against the clutch fork. Like I said, the re-bleeding helped after the new trans install BUT I did have other issues (lock out past 7k) and my 1st - 2nd is notchy to this day even with gentle shifts. Not sure what caused what but I know the damage has been done....
Ya the slave cylinder rod does stay extended for the entire time its not being used, but thats a sealed piston type deal in there.. it should not effect it really based on how it works. the only time you would need to rebleed the system is if you actually created a leak or have a leak in he hydraulic system. lock out past 7k is probably your clutch.. when you just flat out get locked out its usually clutch related not synchro or gears.. those will grind.

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
looks great
Thanks Aby!

Originally Posted by griceiv
Yep ive read it all, and im going to top the trans fluid off again just to make sure, because he said they need 16oz more then normal on a newly fresh dry trans.

Ive also spoken to him through email, and he recommended higher viscosity for my power level. so i have 75w110 going to go in soon before it goes to track. I will beat on it with that fluid around the house first though to confirm its ready and passes my inspection to see if its track worthy or not. just need to put some more easy miles on it first.

Originally Posted by aggieEVO
Great power and a beautiful engine bay!
Thank you! The only thing i dont like about the engine bay is the catch can is blocking the tial BOV from being able to see it.. and the wiring. i want to reroute the fuse box and make it all clean looking.

Originally Posted by S13 Curtis
Dang I been off this forum for a while. I'm glad you finally moved up to a big intake manifold and a tubular exhaust. I remember when I was trying to convince you a while back lol those are def good number gains for aftermarket to aftermarket . You still have gobs of power left on the table with the cam change and higher boost. It should be a mid 130 car for sure!
Ya i changed everything out lol. ya I hope it does well at the track. it feels like its going to.

Originally Posted by pls1968
Nice Tom, Hope to see you running next year at the shootout.
Thanks Pete! Very nice talking with you and meeting you there. I will be there next year and will find you again. I'll definitely bring it with me next year. this year was to risky to rush it and get it there.

Originally Posted by cursedsm
As I told you yesterday take it easy on it. It sounds like the tranny cables need adjusting and or as suggested above rebleeding ur clutch. If I remember correctly they don't shot peen the new gearsets like Tre does being there all new gears, there is nothing to destress. Let it break in and see if it helps if not call the shop.
I am taking it easy. it seems to be getting better the more i drive it easy. i will put another 100 miles on it easy and then go from there. Thanks Brian.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Trans needed more fluid. shifts real nice now. TRE was dead on also with his 1 pint comment. it took exactly half the quart.

Quick Reply: BR 2.3 - FP Black DBB - 36psi - E85