Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

R/TErnie's 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670 E85 "break-in" dyno session @ ENGLISH RACING!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
R/TErnie's 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670 E85 "break-in" dyno session @ ENGLISH RACING!

First off I'd like to say big thanks to everyone at English Racing for their continued support and excellent service.

CLIFF NOTES: English Racing Rocks. Nuf said.

Lucas - thanks for the clutch stop advice (it was to remove it completely)
Lucas' wife - thanks for the migraine meds and water. Life saver!
Aaron (JB) - As always thanks for the dyno time, sound advice, and the laughs.
Myles - Thanks for putting up with me while I harassed you.
Jake - ... special thanks to Jake for taking a look at my timing belt, fixing my broken driveshaft, and fixing my broken moustache bar. Jake is soo fast and thorough it's really amazing. Jake got me back on the road in minutes after I destroyed the rear driveshaft. Much Kudos.
TJ - TJ was there to listen to my lame jokes and lend a keen eyes/ears when we needed it.
Jeff - Comic relief as well as the sane voice in my head. Jeff told me to go home before I broke something else. noted and abided by.
Lil Joe - It was nice to meet ER's newer additions from Oregon... great guy good sense of humor and great with Subaru's. (although he owns an Evo )
Az - This guy is great! They got a remote plane and flew their HD camera over the dyno. Took some great photo's and videos.
...and the chickens.

Summary of my Thursday/Friday.
Thursday 3:50 wake up
4:20 leave Bellingham
8:50 arrive at ER's new shop
11:00 car is ready for dyno work after Jake gives it a once over.
Noon pump gas is done... pumped the tank empty and in with E98
1:00 E85 tuning concluded with my "custom fabbed" moustache bar breaking into 3 pieces and then letting my driveline rip itself apart from the diff and beat the hell out of the dyno.
3:00 Get the car on the lift and inspect.
4:00 driveshaft replaced
5:00 test drive that showed we still had vibration.

Left the Evo at English and went and stayed with a good friend in Portland. Got back to the shop Friday...
9:00AM back at the shop
10:00AM New driveshaft installed AND the rear flange on the rear diff replaced.
10:30AM test drive.... and some boostage. Got some food.
11:00AM on dyno start doing E85 tuning.
Noon... During a dyno pull at 7200RPM the engine turns off and dies. Aaron is concerned. We pull plugs and use the bore-scope.... everything looks good. Crank the engine over... that's fine. Test the ignition system... coils don't fire. Swap the COP out for a stock setup... coils don't fire. We checked the 7.5 or 10AMP stock ignition fuse and it was blown. Aaron was shocked that I hadn't blown it earlier since I'd been running that COP setup for 2 years now without a problem. Fuse replaced. Jeff made some funny comment about blowing it up and then Aaron and I decided we'd do 2 more pulls see where we were at with the ignition timing and then I'd go home and be happy for the time. No KILL MODE pulls, but we did get one 30psi 4th gear pull. So I have data. I tuned the car on a PnP Vi-PEC. No MIVEC tuning yet, still at 35% WGDC, closed loop boost control still isn't active, part throttle needs work, and I want to go over a few things before going back to push it more. Just happy I could drive it home after breaking parts!

I left English at 3PM and got home around 8PM. The car is soo much fun. THANKS TO JAKE... almost forgot... for helping me setup the QM, pedal, etc. so I can shift the car like an animal. It's ****ing awesome.

For a mod list... check my signature. It's on the first page.

EFR7670 in 4th GEAR. Don't mind the dip. It was the only 4th gear pull that we made. So enjoy!
Name:  EFR7670_FOURTH.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  59.5 KB

This is the EFR 7670 on E85 versus the 92 octane tune. 3RD GEAR
Name:  3rd_gear_E85_vs_pump.jpg
Size:  69.8 KB

3rd gear pull versus a 4th gear pull on E85
Name:  E85_3rd_vs_4th.jpg
Size:  70.6 KB

EFR on E85 versus my stock 9 turbo on 92 octane (when I bought the car)
Name:  EFR_E85_vs_stock9_92.jpg
Size:  67.2 KB

FP Red (stock 2.0L longblock, Magnus, c16, 42psi) versus EFR 7670 2.2L E85
BOTH IN 4th GEAR
Name:  FPRED_c16_vs_EFR_E85_FOURTH.jpg
Size:  67.5 KB

HKS 7460, FP4R, E85 vs EFR7670 2.2L S3's and E85
Name:  HKS_vs_EFR_E85_4th.jpg
Size:  67.5 KB

The new turbo's transient response is amazing. I love it. I'm too tired to post much more... but it's a great combo.

Last edited by R/TErnie; Aug 31, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Good stuff. Glad to see this thread and project come together.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good man. Enjoy!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
response looks good! i think you got yourself over 600whp there with more boost in kill mode. sorry to hear about the issues with the freak accident on dyno though. lucky it was done at a nice shop like ER and they fixed it up right away for you.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looken good Eric, bet that power band is a riot

Collin
Old Sep 1, 2012, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car looked good on the dyno in ER's facebook posts Eric. Comes on boost fast too. Congrats man.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
finally some EFR results to sink your teeth in. I like the results. thanks for the great write up.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

so awesome to see some results from your build. been following it forever.

congrats
Old Sep 1, 2012, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

nice, strong midrange and it really holds power out the top
Old Sep 1, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Eric, always happy to help. It was definitely a weird deal loosing a driveshaft but our spares package at the shop is fortunately large enough to get it fixed quick.

The interesting thing about the response of this turbo, T4 1.05 twin scroll, is that it makes 300 ft lbs by 3200 when the load is applied. This is only a 2.2L as well with S3s so it has a little working for it to help spool but other stuff that should make it a little laggy.

All in all a good combo makes good power

Driving it on the dyno was fun, cant wait to see it on a track.

aaron
Old Sep 1, 2012, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like you had a good time there even with the problems that came up.

Awesome build and finally getting great results from it! Curious why you had to remove your fork stopper?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Nice setup RT, the torque comes on quick along with the power holding just about to 8k.

Lets see some pulls on a "privately on road"
Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

but twinscroll and borg warner are all hype!!! lol

awesome results that thing has some crazy spool, i cant wait to see what the bigger 8374 can do. i love seeing these great results from borg warner turbos.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley

The interesting thing about the response of this turbo, T4 1.05 twin scroll, is that it makes 300 ft lbs by 3200 when the load is applied. This is only a 2.2L as well with S3s so it has a little working for it to help spool but other stuff that should make it a little laggy.

aaron
while not too many post 3rd and 4th from dyno session, this turbo realy suffers unloaded?? 400tq is 900rpm apart between 3rd and 4th. seemingly way more than other setups that post 3 and 4. makes me wonder how late torque hit is in 1st and 2nd??

also wondering about boost curve. is 25psi up top end of the rope for the turbo? or was 25 the goal and you couldnt control low rpm boost?

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Sep 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
There were some complications on the dyno. Dirty tires, our drums need re-knurled, and the alignment was still road race spec. It initially blew the tires loose in 3rd and we had to make pulls in 4th to get it to hook. I suspect it was still spinning or on the edge in the last few pulls where the tune was on and we didnt revisit 4th because of timeframe. Once things get buttoned up (exhaust, head retorqued, etc.) we'll come back to it.

Basically though if I leave the load off the eddy current almost all pulls I do will not show how the car really spools on the street. Let's call that the dynojet curse. I am normally not motivated enough to setup the load control for each car as it is really a custom tailored process. 4th is the best way to do it but doubles the length of the pull and puts alot of stress on the combo that it wouldnt normally see. It does let you know real quick if you know how to build a motor and get the headgasket right.

the cliff notes would be- Street driving is totally different than the dyno, it rapes on the street.

Quick Reply: R/TErnie's 2.2L 4G64 EFR7670 E85 "break-in" dyno session @ ENGLISH RACING!