Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

CBRD BBK-B-BB 93 oct/meth

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
CBRD BBK-B-BB 93 oct/meth

My mods are the mentioned turbo, 3" tbe with test pipe, 3.5" Buschur fmic with Buschur ic piping, 272 hks cams, hks intake, arp head studs, sparktech non cdi cop, ID 1000 cc , 255 fp, and forge unos mbc. One of the graphs was from August when it was 90+ degree weather and the other was done in November with 35-40 degree temps outside. I can't wait to replace my hks cams with my new gsc s2's and supertech duals with a ported stock intake manifold and 65 mm tb. Tune was done by Bill at Pruven.
Attached Thumbnails CBRD BBK-B-BB 93 oct/meth-dyno-charts-001.jpg   CBRD BBK-B-BB 93 oct/meth-dyno-charts-002.jpg  

Last edited by ctfpevoVIII; Apr 23, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice numbers, why do the HKS cams suck?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:48 AM
Evolving Member

HKS cams are just mild.
CTFP where are you from? We should run our cars.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lets all run. Lebanon Valley?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kiprocket
nice numbers, why do the HKS cams suck?

They don't really suck, I'm just leaving some horsepower on the table. Just like Wht9er mentioned there a mild set of cams. As soon as I have my gsc cams installed , I will be selling the hks cams cheap.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wht9er
HKS cams are just mild.
CTFP where are you from? We should run our cars.
Wht9er I live in Naugatuck, I be up to meet some time. Where do you live? We should get together in the spring an hit the drag strip.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Bobby's car is slow! lol! Nice setup and good power!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was a little disappointed in the spool-up when I looked at the boost log. Of course, that is not a knock on the BB turbo or the peak power level attained. I just think that peak could be raeched a bit sooner.

Spool-up can be affected by several factors including but not limited to: WG spring preload level, DV/BOV lift rate, cam timing, and finally the tune (fueling and ignition timing), or even the Dyno. I was expecting to see 28-30# by 3500-3700 RPM. But, it could be that you requested an ultra safe tune.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I was a little disappointed in the spool-up when I looked at the boost log. Of course, that is not a knock on the BB turbo or the peak power level attained. I just think that peak could be raeched a bit sooner.

Spool-up can be affected by several factors including but not limited to: WG spring preload level, DV/BOV lift rate, cam timing, and finally the tune (fueling and ignition timing), or even the Dyno. I was expecting to see 28-30# by 3500-3700 RPM. But, it could be that you requested an ultra safe tune.

Yeah I was hoping it would spool a lit sooner also, but like you said I would rather it be on the safe side. My tuner did'nt use alot of ignition timing. When the car was tuned in the summer under very hot and humid conditions I suppose he went a little more conservstive. He said during the tuning he didn't want to see any counts of knock so he did back off a little. I believe the turbo is almost comparable to a fp red, I think the cbrd-bbk-b-bb flows 56-57 lbs. Also what are the flow rates of the fp red and don't the red's spool about the same.

Last edited by ctfpevoVIII; Dec 7, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
.....I believe the turbo is almost comparable to a fp red, I think the cbrd-bbk-b-bb flows 56-57 lbs. Also what are the flow rates of the fp red and don't the red's spool about the same.
The two turbos are quite comparable and definitely in the same class. The general consensus is that the Red's compressor flows a tiny bit more air than the B does. Definitely the B is recognized as exhibiting superior spool-up and transient response though.

I think that your block would still be safe with a little higher spring tension on the WG though. Is your B equipped with Chad's HD actuator, or the stock MHI IX actuator? The IX actuator is a 14 PSI weakling anyway.

Without additional preload on that gate you have the flapper valve lifting way early. This is slowing the turbine wheel rotational velocity considerably. This in turn, is reflected in the 4000-4500 RPM peak boost point on the graph. Just my O2. the peak numbers are impressive though.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not bad at all! Looking at your graph it seems like the pull was started around 3400 and by 4400-4500 you hit 30psi so in about 1k rpm you went from no to little boost to 30psi. That's not bad! I'm assuming tho was done in 4th gear?

Both graphs show you hitting full boost in about 1k rpm. Pretty impressive.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
The two turbos are quite comparable and definitely in the same class. The general consensus is that the Red's compressor flows a tiny bit more air than the B does. Definitely the B is recognized as exhibiting superior spool-up and transient response though.

I think that your block would still be safe with a little higher spring tension on the WG though. Is your B equipped with Chad's HD actuator, or the stock MHI IX actuator? The IX actuator is a 14 PSI weakling anyway.

Without additional preload on that gate you have the flapper valve lifting way early. This is slowing the turbine wheel rotational velocity considerably. This in turn, is reflected in the 4000-4500 RPM peak boost point on the graph. Just my O2. the peak numbers are impressive though.
Sparky Iam running Chads hd actuator.We didn't touch it from what it was set at though.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
Not bad at all! Looking at your graph it seems like the pull was started around 3400 and by 4400-4500 you hit 30psi so in about 1k rpm you went from no to little boost to 30psi. That's not bad! I'm assuming tho was done in 4th gear?

Both graphs show you hitting full boost in about 1k rpm. Pretty impressive.
Yeah my tuner always starts the pulls at 3400-3500 rpm. The pulls were done in 3rd gear. Whould it be better to do 4th gear pulls? The 4th gear pulls would add more load on the engine though right?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I want to say that spool is quicker in 4th gear but I'm not 100% on that. I know by comparing my VD plots my 4th gear pulls seem to be quicker. I have seen less load in 4th.

Last edited by vmrevo9; Dec 8, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for supporting us!

cb

Quick Reply: CBRD BBK-B-BB 93 oct/meth