Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Built 2.0L FP Red S2 Toxicfab tubular e85 & 93oct results

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
i think it had a lot to do with the oil pickup tube sucking in air.
If thats the case there are going to be more issues than just a broke turbo.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
If thats the case there are going to be more issues than just a broke turbo.
everything else is fine. just the turbo failed. he already inspected the car in detail.

i don't know if it sucked in air or not, it was just a guess since he has a stock oil pan.

i was told by fp to baffle my oil pan and get a proper catch can ventilation setup though,
and once i did everything they said, i never killed another turbo since then.

Last edited by tscompusa; Dec 12, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

heres the turbo.

shaft speeds im sure killed it, but i think other things helped as well oil pressure related.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up for pics.
Good video as well good to see them.

SO much easier / safer for you guys with freeways everywhere.

Cant wait for pic's
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

wow nice pic. thats good amount of damage
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

looking at the blades on the wheel and all the bits missing. Is there a chance of that crap getting into the motor?
Or dose the intake manifold catch most of it?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 17pstockcar
looking at the blades on the wheel and all the bits missing. Is there a chance of that crap getting into the motor?
It shoots out all the pieces through the exhaust system.

For it to actually enter the engine, It would need to travel out of the compressor outlet into the lower intercooler piping, then bust through the intercooler core itself, then work its way past the other side where the upper pipe connects on the endtank. Then finally, travel up the upper pipe and enter the intake manifold.

this failure happened high rpm in 4th gear, so it was most likely due to the shaft speeds. overworking the turbo. we were out to get a high trap mph at the track and pushed the turbo a bit to much. it happens. its certainly not the turbos fault.

the reason we did not get a track result with this car, is because englishtown ran out of tech inspection cards and turned him away.. so he drove 3-4hrs for nothing.. so on the way home they had some fun and that's when it happened.

Last edited by tscompusa; Dec 13, 2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

after i got a baffled oil pan, proper catch can setup, and ran good oil i never had a turbo issue since with my fp black. (ball bearing / his was jb and used)
What oil pan are you running? Also, what type of catch can system?

That damage looks pretty gnarly. Any estimate of the mileage on this turbo?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he is leaning towards something along the lines of a 3586R with tial vband housing. 3076R is to small.. he wants something big. 3586 or 6266 or something along those lines.
My three current choices are: BB Black, HTA3586R w vband, or ATP GTX3582R

Black is good because it's bolt on, but expensive and will always be bolt on, and doesn't give much more power than I already had.

HTA3586R is good because it's a nasty turbo and makes retarded power, but requires a new manifold and o2 housing ($1300+).

ATP GTX3582r is nice because it's bolt on now, and I can upgrade the housing to T3 if I ever feel the need.

Not really sure now, all 3 options are over $2k so it is going to happen slowly over winter.
Originally Posted by 17pstockcar
It did suck stuff into the motor. Coolant and small turbo bits made it all the way in. I took the motor apart and there was some slight knicking on the turbo, and on the valves where they seat. All 16 valves have already been lapped and everything is ready to go back together (except having a turbo) but it's cold and I have no ambition since I can't make it run without a turbo anyways.
Originally Posted by Tom Stout
What oil pan are you running? Also, what type of catch can system?

That damage looks pretty gnarly. Any estimate of the mileage on this turbo?
Between me and the previous owner less than 8000 miles? The turbo never saw under 30 psi in my ownership though. I don't blame the turbo for this, we forced it with the grimmspeed to hold as much as it could up top.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
Account Disabled

Holy crap that turbo is nasty! I would be very interested in seeing results from the ATP GTX3582R on your car. Flyin_banana, in the stock appearing turbo thread, had some great results from that turbo this year.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab
Holy crap that turbo is nasty! I would be very interested in seeing results from the ATP GTX3582R on your car. Flyin_banana, in the stock appearing turbo thread, had some great results from that turbo this year.
It was a very bad breakage, turbo loss isn't a big deal. I was really bummed when I was unsure of motor condition.

flyin_banana's car is what got me seriously interested in that turbo to be honest. 140 traps are insane. His car is STUPID light compared to mine though. Without me in it it's 3250, which even then is lighter than a normal SSL so I have no idea how since only thing removed is the sub. It's still got the entire full interior, ac etc etc

I'd like to do 9s, full weight, next season. We'll see though, it'll add up and I won't have much track time due to being kicked out for no cage since I refuse to cut up my car.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:24 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ronnie Size
It was a very bad breakage, turbo loss isn't a big deal. I was really bummed when I was unsure of motor condition.

flyin_banana's car is what got me seriously interested in that turbo to be honest. 140 traps are insane. His car is STUPID light compared to mine though. Without me in it it's 3250, which even then is lighter than a normal SSL so I have no idea how since only thing removed is the sub. It's still got the entire full interior, ac etc etc

I'd like to do 9s, full weight, next season. We'll see though, it'll add up and I won't have much track time due to being kicked out for no cage since I refuse to cut up my car.

Haha, very true, his car is an estimated 600lbs less than your car. Sounds like you need to spend some time in the weight reduction thread! Put your pig on a diet over the winter! There are plenty of things you can do & still keep full interior, AC, etc...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/in...have-done.html
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow that turbo is completed torn up . First time i am seeing a blown up turbo. Hope the motor is good.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

need to getmy car tuned by tom.it is coming real soon just finishing up some parts and bugs
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:26 PM

ha damn nice numbers

Quick Reply: Built 2.0L FP Red S2 Toxicfab tubular e85 & 93oct results