Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

My Evo 8/FP Black/Meth Injection/Pump Gas/Stock Block/English Racing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Evo 8/FP Black/Meth Injection/Pump Gas/Stock Block/English Racing

So here is my video of my Evo's visit to English Racing, I decided to up the ante a bit on my engine mod by going with a used, low mile FP Black Journal Bearing Turbo, Buschur Racing ported and polished stock exhaust manifold, FIC 950cc injectors and a SD intake and tune, I want to thank Myles for helping me get all the parts and setting up a date that works best for me.
Since I didn't have that much time on my hands, I had the pros install the turbo, I want to thanks TJ for putting together the kit and doing a couple of things in the engine bay to help the car work.
When we got on the dyno, Aaron worked his magic tuning the engine off of pump and meth injection. The results exceeded my expectations even though we had problems with boost creep (this will be explained in the video). In the interview, I wanted Aaron to explain more about meth injection and what advantages and disadvantages it had on the motor itself, as well as what meth additives are best used in that function. I want to thank Aaron for the great tune, the great insight on the tune, and always putting up with my interviews.
Thank you Team English for your great support!

Here is the video, enjoy!
https://vimeo.com/57778936

The dyno sheet has a comparison with my stock turbo on pump/meth injection vs the new setup with the Black turbo, ported manifold, 950cc injectors and SD intake and tune.
Name:  TonyKimFPBlackDyno.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  123.5 KB
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Nice numbers. I can see that your black is spooling up pretty quick, I always thought the spool would be just a little lagier than what yours is doing. How do you get it to spool that fast?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Nice numbers. I can see that your black is spooling up pretty quick, I always thought the spool would be just a little lagier than what yours is doing. How do you get it to spool that fast?
Thanks!
It's usually three things:
1. Is always the tune.
2. Having an O2 dump helps the turbo spool quicker.
3. I'm running a Speed Density setup where it takes off the MAF honeycomb sensor and replaces it for the SD sensor on the intake manifold to help the car spool quicker as well.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

I guess the turbo is spooling up right where it should be. I was looking at the green line plot which was his former setup which spooled up well before 4000 rpm, none the less awesome numbers. That video that Aaron did was very informative. I actually run a very similar setup to yours only my bbk-b-bb is a little smaller than your fp black. I'm also running 100% denatured alchol and my pump has been working for over 6 years now knock on wood. Not to thread jack but my car is making a little bit more torque, is that something I should be concerned with seeing that I'm also on a stock block? My tuner said I had no knock on any of my runs, but like Aaron said on the video if that pump goes and my afr's lean out bye bye engine.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

I guess the turbo is spooling up right where it should be. I was looking at the green line plot which was his former setup which spooled up well before 4000 rpm, none the less awesome numbers. That video that Aaron did was very informative. I actually run a very similar setup to yours only my bbk-b-bb is a little smaller than your fp black. I'm also running 100% denatured alchol and my pump has been working for over 6 years now knock on wood. Not to thread jack but my car is making a little bit more torque, is that something I should be concerned with seeing that I'm also on a stock block? My tuner said I had no knock on any of my runs, but like Aaron said on the video if that pump goes and my afr's lean out bye bye engine.
Yeah, the reason the torque is so low on bottom is that we are actually running on wastegate pressure and the turbo is having crazy boost creep on us all the way to redline. The reason for that is that the turbo is not ported and the O2 dump and the motor is working very well with the turbo creating boost creep. i'll get this problem fixed soon with a 3 port MBC to control both bottom and top end of boost levels.
As for your concern on torque on the stock motor, usually 430ish torque is a limit for the stock block, but I've seen ppl go 480+, but it's all in the tune to keep the knock limit minimal. Just keep an eye on your levels on your meth kit and make sure you have an AFR gauge to consistantly check if you're running lean
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Tony, sorry I didnt get this up before you did. Congrats on the power and I look forward to getting the 3 port on it so we can get the torque up
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimsan808
Yeah, the reason the torque is so low on bottom is that we are actually running on wastegate pressure and the turbo is having crazy boost creep on us all the way to redline. The reason for that is that the turbo is not ported and the O2 dump and the motor is working very well with the turbo creating boost creep. i'll get this problem fixed soon with a 3 port MBC to control both bottom and top end of boost levels.
As for your concern on torque on the stock motor, usually 430ish torque is a limit for the stock block, but I've seen ppl go 480+, but it's all in the tune to keep the knock limit minimal. Just keep an eye on your levels on your meth kit and make sure you have an AFR gauge to consistantly check if you're running lean

Well I'm under 430 torque but like you said its all in the tune. I do have a aem wideband and under wot I'm anywhere between 11.4-11.8 afr, though I was tuned in the hot summer weather. I been seeing my afr touch 11.9-12.0 in this colder weather, but I'm having some gsc s2 installed soon so when I get retuned all have that corrected. Well glw your car and the 3 port keep us posted when you get that installed.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Tony, sorry I didnt get this up before you did. Congrats on the power and I look forward to getting the 3 port on it so we can get the torque up
Quite alright Aaron, I know you guys are always busy. I'm looking forward to the retune next month! Thanks again Aaron!

Well I'm under 430 torque but like you said its all in the tune. I do have a aem wideband and under wot I'm anywhere between 11.4-11.8 afr, though I was tuned in the hot summer weather. I been seeing my afr touch 11.9-12.0 in this colder weather, but I'm having some gsc s2 installed soon so when I get retuned all have that corrected. Well glw your car and the 3 port keep us posted when you get that installed.
Well I hope you have the car retuned to your liking, it's usually better to tune in colder weather anyways. I will keep up the posts for updates