Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 8 AMS 2.3 FP Black Kelford 272 Skunk2 C16

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013 | 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Evo 8 AMS 2.3 FP Black Kelford 272 Skunk2 C16

Wanted to share this car with you guys. Just got off the dyno with it. Started low boost then worked our way up. The car is having a issue holding boost up top because of a weak wastegate actuator, but he will be buying a new one from me to resolve this issue.

I will share the boost curve below with the graph. at roughly 30psi the car made 585hp @ 6300RPM thanks to the crappy boost curve compliments of the WGA. & 508TQ

When i asked the shop how this dyno reads vs a local dynojet, they said it reads slightly lower due to the way its calibrated. The shop name was APH (Advanced Power House). The car was tuned in Toronto Canada.

The spool up is a little lazy due to the wastegate issue as mentioned above.

AMS 2.3 Stroker motor / JE pistons / Manley I-Beam Rods / Manley 100mm Crank
ERL Engine Building and Blue Printing
IPS Motorsports Break down and reassembly motor.
L19 Head Studs
Kelford 272 camshafts
SuperTech Springs and Retainers
Slowmotion Race Core FMIC
Slowmotion intercooler pipes
Skunk 2 intake manifold
Skunk 2 68mm throttle body
Slowmotion intake
Tial 50mm BOV
FP Black
Ported stock exhaust manifold
Aftermarket Wastegate Actuator <-- no good
Slowmotion oil catch can
MAC valve 3 port / ecu boost

Ignition:
Slowmotion Battery Relocate to trunk (looks Factory)
NGK IX Iridium Spark Plugs BPR7EIX
Denso Plug Wires

Fuel:
FIC Injectors 1650cc
Aeromotive 340 LPH Fuel Pump

Engine Management:
Stock ECU/ Tephra v7 SD
Slowmotion EVO 8 Speed Density kit
Air Intake Temp Sensor
AEM UEGO

Drivetrain:
Exedy Twin disc HD ceramic

Exhaust:
Buscher Downpipe
Buschur test pipe
Jun BL Cat back

Slowmotion Custom Side exit exhaust
Electronic exhaust cutout

Below is the entire dyno session and the last graph is the end result. Pretty much the last 2 pulls it only made 3hp difference, so i backed off a degree and we are done.

This car will be at the Buschur shootout all the way from Canada. Will post back with timeslips after the event.

The graphs: (3rd gear)

Once we fix the wastegate we should get it to spool full around 3800 i would imagine on this dyno.

Boost curve to show you how its falling off so bad from the wastegate: (duty cycle at 98% up top)

So the boost went to 34.6psi downlow then dropped down to 26psi. the car is basically making 585hp @ 30psi @ 6300RPM (where it peaked HP due to crappy wga)

Once we get the wastegate changed for something stiffer spring this cars going to make big big power & spool about a good 600-800RPM sooner.

This car ended up having a bad turbo and wastegate. I will share new results with a healthy turbo. I shouldn't of posted these results because the spool was garbage and i knew it.

Last edited by tscompusa; Aug 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2013 | 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

If the black had an external wastegate cast into the turbine housing like the FP30 turbine housing's it would be a much better Turbo. I would ditch my 6262 and get one. I just hate internal wastegate issues.
Old Aug 14, 2013 | 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Nice numbers so far. Tom is that the FP 25# that comes with the turbo causing the issue?
Old Aug 14, 2013 | 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by batty200
If the black had an external wastegate cast into the turbine housing like the FP30 turbine housing's it would be a much better Turbo. I would ditch my 6262 and get one. I just hate internal wastegate issues.
its rare though that there are these issues when you get the FP actuator. this car doesn't have an FP actuator. whatever it has though is broken or needs preloaded way more. I do agree though, the external gates do a much better job.

Originally Posted by ReignMan24
Nice numbers so far. Tom is that the FP 25# that comes with the turbo causing the issue?
No. its some off brand actuator. Ya cars going to make big power once we get the boost under control. it will also spool much quicker
Old Aug 14, 2013 | 05:59 PM

hey thanks for posting this Tom! you did a great job and I am super happy with the results and your tune. I'm crammed for time here so I'll try and write more when I get a chance (haven't even taken the car out for a boot yet)

couple updates though, the manifold is a custom tubular manifold and it has some pre turbo exhaust leaks which would be hurting spool I have to look into this more the manifold is BRAND NEW and I just noticed some black soot spots which are obviously leaks

the FP Black is JB

and I won't be at the Bushur shootout, I'll be at a CSCS (Canadian sport compact series) event.

Going to pick up my slicks tomorrow and should have time slips on sunday! Can't wait.

Looking forward to doing ALL my tuning with tom.
Old Aug 22, 2013 | 05:36 AM

Nice number!